SUNY Purchase VS SUNY New Paltz for Communications major transfer

Hi! Current student at the Fashion Institute of Technology, looking to transfer for my next semester since I hate being stuck in the city and want a real college experience and more generalized education!

I got accepted to all the SUNY’s I applied to, but am deciding between New Paltz and Purchase.

I’m planning on majoring in Communications at either school, with a minor in Journalism or potentially Gender/Women’s Studies.

I want a school with an involved campus life that isn’t too fratty.
Good academics but freedom of choice in what to take, wide course variety.
Large LGBT population and resources.
Beautiful campus (I know Purchase doesn’t have this)
On campus jobs & internships

I originally felt like I wanted to go to New Paltz, but I
feel super drawn to Purchase because of how artistic the school is!
What are your thoughts between the two? Which should I transfer to?
Thoughts on Geneseo also appreciated

All fantastic schools! Congratulations. NP is a wonderful option, very liberal and diverse
and such a great town…and Geneseo is quaint and beautiful too. Both have adorable downtown areas. Both NP & Gen campuses are VERY accessible/ walkable to those towns, while Purchase’s campus is more isolated from town. Is that important?
As far as “good academics,” my vote is for Geneseo as admission criteria indicates it’s one of the more academically notable schools on your list.
Purchase is probably the least fratty.

1 Like

Thank you so much!
Geneseo might be too far upstate just in terms of winter but I like that New Paltz is close to town!
Geneseo seems great academically but then again I really liked the creative aspects of Purchase & New Paltz

1 Like