Surprise expenses?

<p>My daughter will be a freshman this fall, and we’re trying to get serious about the finances (how to spend both dollars). </p>

<p>Other than variable personal expenses and the stated school fees, did any of you experienced folks encounter any significant expenses that took you by surprise the first year?</p>

<p>Thanks!</p>

<p>The surprise expense that we had with my older son his first semester was that he and pals started going off campus to eat at the many restaurants around the school. Even if your child doesn’t bring a car to campus, chances are one of his friends will have a car and the kids will be roaming around T-town on weekends.</p>

<p>I’m a serious list maker and so is my husband, so there weren’t any large surprises. The only thing that really comes to mind was an urgent need to replace a pair of rain boots during a long rainy streak during the winter. We had purchased what we thought at the time were cute rain boots for around $65.00 for our daughter to trek around campus. Well, they turned out to be cute but not so durable and her boot split halfway down the back seam. As with most things, when you have to make a purchase at the spur of the moment you usually pay more for an item. You are welcome to learn from our mistake. She was able to buy a more durable, higher quality rain boot from one of the shops on the strip for around $125. The lesson we learned was to go ahead and pay more upfront with durability in mind in addition to the cute factor when it comes to those necessary items like rain boots, rain jackets, and back packs. Fortunately, we only missed on one of the three and this wasn’t a large expense.</p>

<p>I would love to know what kind of rain boots are durable. Can you give me the name? Also I know most girls have rain jackets, should they be the insulated kind or is a shell good enough (just bought a black The North Face shell) Coming from AZ, we hardly see rain, and have never ever owned a pair of rain boots before…haha Oh, and I would also love to hear good backpack suggestions! Thanks!</p>

<p>What about guys? Hiking boots maybe?</p>

<p>While some will be just personal preference, we found La Chameau rain boots she bought at Expeditions on the Strip to be extremely durable. They are taller than what she had and come in an array of cute colors. She says they are not only much lighter than the first boots she had, but they also offer more support, are popular on campus, and are very durable. For warmer weather, I’d suggest a pair of Chocos sandals. Chocos are popular with both guys and girls and are easy to clean, durable, and provide needed support for hiking across campus.</p>

<p>For raincoats, we decided on a North Face without a liner. Be sure it has pit zips (under the armpits) for ventilation. Padagonia also has some cute ones that are very similar.</p>

<p>D has a 17" Mac book pro which was difficult to fit in many of the packs she tried. She chose a back pack by Mountain Hardware, the Enterprise. By the way, last years models are on sale right now online at Suny Sports for a third of the original price. Mountian Hardware, North Face, and Padagonia are all popular brands with students on campus.</p>

<p>Wow, that is so helpful!!! Thanks, and I will get on that ASAP! While on the topic of clothing, how many dresses, nice outfits do you think are necessary? (for games etc.?) So sorry to get off topic here, but I guess it is all related to expense right??</p>

<p>^^I just sent you a PM. It depends greatly upon whether your D intends to rush and just her personal preference. While many wear dresses to each and every game, some wear them occasionally and some never do. It will be a different story if she rushes and Aphimommy could tell you about that. For everyday, most girls wear tshirts and Nike shorts or other running shorts.</p>

<p>Hunter rainboots are very durable and you can buy fleece liners for them. We saw a lot of them while walking on campus in January. Also Dav rainboots are very stylish and durable.</p>

<p>I subscribe to a few of the ‘flash sale’ sites and have found Dav boots regularly $100+ for about $30. Have to buy quickly, but even when they did not fit D we were able to send them back for a full refund!</p>

<p>^^Yes, the Hunter rain boots are very similar to the La Chameau boots in price and looks. They are slightly different in weight and fit and didn’t fit my D’s foot quite as well. Either will work and both are durable. Black Warrior Outdoors has the Hunter boots and Expeditions has the La Chameau. Kinnucan’s at Midtown may carry them also. I know they have Choccos, North Face, Padagonia, and Mountain Hardware backpacks and rain gear.:slight_smile: I think Woods & Water may also carry Hunter. Sunny Sports online has last year’s model of the Mountain Hardware backpacks for less than $45 right now. They sale for $130 in stores. We have purchased them successfully both ways.:)</p>

<p>Our son entered 'Bama in the Fall of 2010 as a dyed in the wool GDI. He returned home at XMAS break pledged to a fraternity. Surprise!</p>

<p>He’s paying (gladly). :)</p>

<p>Food, food & more food. I shouldn’t have been surprised as S eats out a lot around here. Lots to choose from and it is a good way to socialize. Plus I’m not the greatest cook.</p>

<p>The fraternity was more than I expected plus the large amount of required clothing-special sneakers, jeans, etc.</p>

<p>We had two big ones. His computer died after it got wet in a really heavy downpour while he was walking to class. And it was in his LL Bean ‘weatherproof’ backpack with a rainfly wrapped around the pack. He said it was the most rain he was ever in. Everything in the pack got soaked. He had used this system all year but this one storm was just too much.</p>

<p>He bent the fork on his bike while riding pretty fast up a curb thinking he was going up the handicap corner. This was late at night. Bike could not be fixed.</p>

<p>On the flip side, he used most of his meal plan and didn’t spend too much cash eating out.</p>

<p>Proudmama *What about guys? Hiking boots maybe?
*</p>

<p>for my boys, I purchased Clarks waterproof boots lined with sheep shearling. Those things have lasted! My boys love them. They keep their feet very warm and dry.</p>

<p>Usually this time of year they are on sale.</p>

<p>They come in 2 or 3 colors…</p>

<p>My boys have the taupe color…most neutral to them.
<a href=“http://www.clarksusa.com/eng/product/drift/34461[/url]”>http://www.clarksusa.com/eng/product/drift/34461&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thanks for the info on the Clark boots for guys. How cold does it get inalabama? Any other must haves for guys? My son is fond of shorts and t shirts, is this realistic for year round?</p>

<p>I got a text message from my daughter asking if a spray tan was something she could use her emergency credit card for.</p>

<p>*Thanks for the info on the Clark boots for guys. How cold does it get inalabama? Any other must haves for guys?</p>

<p>My son is fond of shorts and t shirts, is this realistic for year round?*</p>

<p>Shorts and Tshirts will not be warm enough year round. It does dip below freezing on a few days, and there are some coldy/rainy days. And, when there’s wind, the wind-chill factor exists. There have even been a few snow days. </p>

<p>Your child will need a warm jacket, preferably with a hood for cold and rainy days. My kids also kept a small umbrella in their backpacks for the sudden rain that would appear. </p>

<p>In Alabama, you can get sudden downpours that can last for 30 minutes and then go away. Enough to get one drenched if you don’t have an umbrella or rain jacket. If your kid won’t use an umbrella (which also helps keep the backpack dry), then a foldable rain jacket in the backpack will also work.</p>

<p>Tell your kids not to be deceived if they look out their dorm windows and see sunny skies. It can be below 20 degrees and still be “sunny skies”. Very deceiving.</p>

<p>Ha ha Whitlo, I think that is an emergency, but I’m a big fan of the spray tan. Much healthier than the actual sun.</p>

<p>*I got a text message from my daughter asking if a spray tan was something she could use her emergency credit card for.
*</p>

<p>lol…the things kids think are an emergency. :slight_smile: Next it will be highlights and eyelash extensions.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>It’s unquestionably an emergency if it keeps her from this :slight_smile: : </p>

<p><a href=“http://i.ytimg.com/vi/prlVWQp9tOA/0.jpg[/url]”>http://i.ytimg.com/vi/prlVWQp9tOA/0.jpg&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;