Surprise expenses?

<p>Which is supporting evidence that T.V. In fact, isn’t always true. I got the “one-decal-fits-all” assertion from a show called “Greek” it’s a really entertaining college show for those like myself overly enthusiastic about starting college. Beware, it is a “Dramady” we all know how those can get.</p>

<p>Concerning GDI, it is an example of something once deemed negative now turned [mostly] positive, kind of like how the GBLT+ community is trying to reclaim the words gay and queer by using them as self-descriptives.</p>

<p>Independent is a good descriptor except as malanai mentioned, the connotations with independence. Similarly, I don’t like saying Greek/non-Greek as it makes something optional become the “base case.”</p>

<p>As for unexpected expenses, airfare has gone up a lot since I started at UA. When I started at UA, the typical one-way ticket form Seattle to Birmingham cost $115-120, with the occasional $88 fare. The same ticket now costs $250-275 with the [rare] sale price of $160.</p>

<p>Also, having friends from higher income brackets may put a dent into your student’s finances. I’ve gone to many group dinners that ended up costing me $15+ and that’s just for an entree, tax, and tip at a mid-range restaurant. On the other end of the spectrum, there are many students who don’t have enough spending money to eat out at all. For those parents reading this, especially in later years, don’t expect that buying your child a dining plan and not expecting them to eat anywhere else is a realistic idea. Assuming that the “cash price” of dining hall meals doesn’t change, it may be better to deposit a few dollars into their bank accounts each week that they can use for food. </p>

<p>Once students turn 21 and if they start going out to bars and clubs, they will quickly find out that the price of drinks varies widely between individual bars/clubs/restaurants, grocery/drug stores, package stores, and the ABC store, especially if they prefer microbrews or liquor. </p>

<p>Last but certainly not least, I vastly underestimated the amount I would spend on UA-licensed merchandise, particularly clothing. While I haven’t bought a UA-belt, crimson pants with the script A design, Brooks Brothers collegiate dress shirts, houndstooth suit, or houndstooth luggage, I do buy lots of t-shirts, basketball shorts, and random merchandise, such as a leather luggage tag, for myself and my family. That said, it was money well spent and I am [indirectly] supporting UA’s scholarship programs.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>UA football is big business. And as Mom2ck said, hotels have low occupancy through much of the year. Their only chance to make a profit is by jacking up the rates during premium events. Proper planning and know how can usually get you an affordable rate however.</p>

<p>For us, coming from an area where there are many forms of public transportation, the cost of the shuttle from UA to BHM was a shock. Hopefully this new bus system will work out.</p>

<p>The other day someone asked D if she were rushing and she answered “no.” Person replied “Won’t you miss having your letters?” D replied “Oh, I’ll have them – MDB”. : )</p>

<p>The big expense for us was move in for Alabama Action, followed by visit to set up NMF laptop and accompanying hardware, received two weeks later, followed by Parents Weekend, two weeks later. Although we’re driving distance, initially, we would stay overnight and drive back the next day. This cost us not just gas, meals, hotel stays, but lost time at work. We built up a hefty credit card bill in one month’s time.</p>

<p>Finally, we got to a point that we tried the drive up and drive back in one day. It’s weary on our old bones, but lighter on our wallets. I pack PB sandwiches and cheap sodas for the drive up.</p>

<p>Although Parents Weekend and the expense of hotel rooms is steep, we figure it’s only for four years, so we suck it up. It’s our vacation for the year. </p>

<p>An unexpected expense we did have was the loss of a book. We were lucky in that the book that walked was less than a hundred bucks, but we were not happy that we did have to buy a duplicate book. Son rushed out of a class and left his book, and, being naive, thought it would be there when he came back to his classroom. He asked around, but it never showed up. As finals were approaching, and it was a book he still refers to for classes, had to make the purchase. He’s learned to be more careful now.</p>

<p>D replied “Oh, I’ll have them – MDB”. : )</p>

<p>lol</p>

<p>Yep! and those letters will really take her places!</p>