Susquehanna Updates & Status Reports?

My 12th grade son is considering SU. At the top of his list currently. Likes the campus, people and business school’s reputation. Some folks had kids going there within the last few years and I’d love to get any updates from them (or anyone else) on how things are going at SU. Thanks!

My son is applying to Susquehanna. We would love to hear feedback, also. We’ve talked to a few people who know someone who attends or attended and they all said good things about the school.

Any information on Greek like at Susquehanna?

Does Susquehanna empty out on the weekends ? (I ask because I believe that I read something to this effect a couple of years ago on CC.)

@TalbertFord @PADad8020 @Publisher @dadof2d

My daughter is a junior at SU. She has never mentioned the campus emptying out on the weekends. She has really enjoyed her time there. This semester, she is studying at an art school in Florence, Italy. :slight_smile:

She really likes a lot about the school, other than the food. A LOT of her friends are in sororities, but she’s not. She said she’s actually surprised at how many kids are Greek!

She has a job at the student art gallery that has worked out well - she has a lot of time to study at the front desk but she also helps organize art shows. They have asked her to curate a show next year.

She receives a small music scholarship for non-music majors. It includes free piano lessons. She is obligated to play in the jazz band. It’s been a good stress reliever for her.

She has anxiety and goes to counseling at the school counseling center every week. That has been very helpful.

If you have any questions, let me know and I’ll see if I can answer them. :slight_smile:

I believe that there are some beautiful places to visit during the Fall. Wellsboro, Pa. is known for spectacular Fall foliage & Bucknell University in Lewisburg is a fun place to visit for a day–especially in the Fall on a football weekend.

@MaineLonghorn can I ask how you get your daughter back and forth to school? (I’m assuming you are in Maine). My d20 is considering this school and we are in MA near Boston. Before we go visit, just trying to figure out if there is an easy way to get her back and forth for breaks as we’re not planning on her having a car.

How is the nearby town? Can you walk there? Do the students interact at all with Bucknell students?

Also, how is the school counseling center? Is it difficult to get an appt?

@MAmom111 I am a Central PA resident who is originally from New England. My son has been admitted to Susquehanna and is seriously considering it. :slight_smile:

If your daughter can get to Harrisburg, PA, she can access Amtrak and bus service. Selinsgrove is less than an hour from Harrisburg. Susquehanna features lots of transportation options on its website. Looks like there’s shuttle services during breaks to Harrisburg and the Amtrak station in Stamford, CT. Stamford would be about a four hour drive.

https://www.susqu.edu/campus-life/student-and-campus-services/transportation-services

The town really small and quaint. Like many in this part of the state. Bucknell is 15 miles north. Not sure about interaction between the schools. I do know that they run a combined ROTC program.

@MAmom111, sorry I didn’t see your post.

TBH, it’s tricky getting her home to Maine. She has to get to Harrisburg, and then catch the bus or train and make several stops - it makes for a LONG day (at least your D wouldn’t have to make the last two-hour bus trip that my D does!). Most of the time, she’s found a friend to get a ride with - there are several kids from Maine who go to SU. Other times, DH and/or I have made the 500-mile one-way trip to pick her up and bring her home. We leave at 3 am in order to get through Hartford before morning rush hour. It’s not easy, but I love Selinsgrove so I don’t mind making the trip. When you go, MAKE SURE to check out the river. There’s an absolutely beautiful residential road that runs right next to it. Every time we go, I park my car next to the boat ramp and go for a run.

We’re buying her a used car this Christmas so she can make the trip back. I will miss going.

The counseling center has been excellent. She sees a counselor every week. She tells her friends they should all go, too!

The town is cute - just a couple of minute walk from campus. There’s a long business strip nearby with all of the big chains. It’s too far to walk, but she can usually find a friend to take her there when she needs to shop.

Make reservations at the Selinsgrove Inn right in town - it’s a really nice hotel with large rooms. They told us you need to book a year in advance for graduation, so I have to call them in May since my daughter will get out in 2020!

She’s had a good experience at SU. I think the food is the one thing she’s not thrilled about. She is studying in Florence, Italy this semester and having a wonderful time.

@MaineLonghorn and @InfiniteWaves thanks so much for your responses. Good to know that a train/bus commute is a possibility as well as hearing that there are a fair amount of students that head up to NE that she may be able to hitch a ride with. We haven’t visited yet but plan to in the spring. Seems like it might be a really good fit for her and it looks like she might be eligible merit $ as well if she keeps her grades up.

That is also awesome info on the counseling center. She sees a counselor at home and would like to keep that up at college so that is definitely a priority for us.

@MaineLonghorn Idk if you said this at any point but when are students allowed to have a car on campus? I visited and they mentioned it but I forget.

When we visited in August, they said freshman could have cars on campus.

Yes, freshmen can have cars. Parking can be tricky, but it’s doable.

Susquehanna seems like a great school but had to laugh at a marketing postcard sent today. It makes it seem like it is close to Boston, NY, Philly etc. “Only 2.5 to 3,hours away”!

Ha, it’s about six hours from Boston.