Swimming Recruiting for Int’l Jr. Targeting Highly Selective Colleges

My son (T&F) had many of his non-NESCAC, Division 3 pre-reads done before July 1 (in May or June).

2 Likes

I’m finding it really hard to believe that this question was not answered multiple times in this 460 post thread.

Whatever else the coaches want. If the coach asks for A, B, and C, then that’s what they want. If they wanted A, C, and D they would have asked for it. If you wonder if the coach will except D in lieu of C, then the answer is no.

4 Likes

unofficial transcript that included all HS courses and grades, senior year course list, school profile, all test scores (results will let you know if you should include test scores when applying), some had a writing component, some had an admissions interview, some had a resume section. for some we just emailed documents to the coach, who then sent them forward to admissions, for others there was a separate portal to enter the documents

3 Likes

When my son visited NESCAC schools in June after his junior year, he brought a printed copy of his unofficial transcript for the coach to look over and a list of courses he was enrolled in for senior year. I think the coach could glance at it quickly and had a good idea that he would have been a solid candidate for admissions without help in terms of athletics. This may have been unique because of COVID, but he did not have any test scores, and none of the schools he was in contact with asked for them.

And, FYI this was for a different sport, but the request from the coach to submit materials for the official pre read through the admissions office did not come right on July 1st , so don’t stress if a few days or even weeks pass without communication from the coach right away about this.

Since the official preread date for admissions was July 1, we had to submit the latest transcript including junior year grades, school profile, senior class schedule and SAT scores. Schools were test-optional, but scores had to be submitted. When the preread was done, the coach informed my son whether he should apply TO or not.

Are you referring to the coaches asking for all the materials earlier as unofficial?

Thanks for your feedback, it does seem that where applicable, D24 should continue to engage with coaches, understand which schools may require essays etc, and submit them to the coach early.

we understand John Hopkins requires 1500 SAT in pre read, are there other schools that are equally strict on their demand

Essays have nothing to do with the coach and recruiting. Essays are a part of the college application process.

1 Like

you don’t submit anything without the coach specifically asking for it. You can list your GPA, courses and test scores in your athlete profile that your daughter may be sending to all coaches through email and she can include grade/test updates in emails. But you don’t formally submit the items for a preread without the coach explicitly asking for them. There will be direct conversation regarding what is needed and how to upload it. The essay my daughter had to do (2 different ones for 2 different schools) were short and basic, nothing like an admissions essay and she wrote one them from our hotel room after a visit with the coach.

3 Likes

for two schools (both LACs) my daughter had to provide a response to an essay prompt as part of her preread documents

3 Likes

What does this mean? Does it mean the swimming coach requires a 1500 for a fully supported slot, or admissions requires a 1500 for a swim athlete to submit their score (otherwise they apply TO if the coach is fully supporting them)? Or something else?

I agree with lkunk498, do not send application essays early to the coach.

I haven’t heard of this, thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I believe so - as does MIT.

3 Likes

Yes, one coach asked my son for an essay as part of the pre-read materials.

There was quite a bit of variation with respect to the information required for the pre-read. It ranged from just transcript and planned courses all the way to transcript, planned courses, school profile, ACT/SAT score, resume, and essay.

1 Like

@simon3 by “school profile” do you mean material/pdf coming directly from the school, or something which the applicant assembles from what’s generally publicly available plus history of the schools university acceptance records, and other awards?

A school profile is pdf document that gives context to the grading, offerings, outcomes of the school and is sent along with the application by the college counselor.

1 Like

I’d not heard of students providing essays as part of the preread process was this post 2021 recruits? My son had a pretty varied list of ivy, nesac and liberty schools and no one asked for this and I haven’t heard of any of his teammates being asked for it - just curious of it’s a new thing especially as schools became test optional. That was the very first thing schools asked for his sophomore year and he’d been prepped to take the act/sat early as it was essential for recruiting - all pre-COVID.

1 Like

The school profile is a PDF that the school creates and, at least for our school, is available on their website. It is similar to the one TonyGrace linked.

I get the sense it is pretty standard for US schools. I am not sure about foreign schools.

2 Likes

Agreed.

I think the OP has done everything a parent can do and then some. All that is left for his daughter to swim faster as soon as possible.

6 Likes

Darcy123,
My son was high school class of 22 and the request for an essay was part of a pre-read in the spring of 2021. It was just one coach (at a Centennial conference school).
No NESCAC, UAA, MIAC, SCIAC, or other Centennial coach asked for an essay.

1 Like

@simon3 thanks for clarifying. for the Centennial Conference essay, would it be for either Swarthmore, Franklin & Marshall, or Washington St Louis? What is the form/ length of the essay?

school profile: resolved

Yes, it was for Swat. It was one of the regular essay prompts, with the regular word limit.

But this was two recruiting cycles ago, and was for a different coach and sport, so it may not necessarily be the same for your daughter.

3 Likes