Swimming Recruiting for Int’l Jr. Targeting Highly Selective Colleges

Understood. There are many sites for calculating an Ivy AI, as well as articles on the AI and LLs. The Ivy’s are D1 so in general the athletes are more highly recruited athletes than at a D3 NESCAC, and to attract the type of athletes that Ivy coaches want, particularly for sports like football, there is a broader range.
I was getting at the school, and the sport, does matter.
For example, the average recruit’s gpa and test scores at a Williams would certainly be different than at the lower end NESCAC schools.
For Ivy’s, taking football out of it which has the most LLs, and basketball and men’s hockey which I believe may have slightly different rules when it comes to the # of LLs available vs. other sports, my sense is that the top recruits at HYP are not students with 3.0 gpa’s with no rigor and no test scores in HS.
Even though the min. AI is 176, to be a top recruit at the top Ivy’s, most are highly recruited athletes and top academic students as well.

1 Like

You are still trying to apply a formula to make sense of a process which has too many variables to account for. Like the other posters have said repeatedly different programs use different terms and are under different constraints from admissions. Each coach also has different priorities and approaches to recruiting. You are doing what you can to understand the process but at best it is like trying to put together an image of an elephant from the descriptions of many people touching only one part of it. Also, remember that athletic recruits in general are hugely advantaged in the admissions process over students without a hook even without knowing exactly how much of an advantage.

7 Likes

Emphasizing the comments from @TonyGrace and @Mwfan1921. It took me a while to understand this when going through the process last year.

2 Likes

apologies for the typo, D3 LACs

Given D24 hasn’t received a clear signal of being recruited from a coach, it’s still in her benefits to take the SAT one more time.

If she’s not recruited, her list of schools will certainly include Dartmouth, and if they seek 1500+ SAT from target recruits, it’s a good benchmark for what they expect from a normal applicant.

Notwithstanding the above, the times she hits in her upcoming 3 swim meets will dictate her recruiting outcome.

I wonder if the time needed to prepare for another SAT is worth the bother? Sounds like a jam packed spring & summer schedule.

1 Like

My daughter specifically asked coaches at NESCAC schools what was the lowest SAT score they would submit and most said they would not submit anything lower than 1500.

3 Likes

Thanks for all your feedback, journey for the coming 2 months is clearly laid out:

• faster times & aligning PB times across distances (50F/200F at 100F pace, 100Fly at 50Fly pace), hopefully NESCAC FINALS T16 times

• SAT 1500

• climb couple coach’s recruit list to hopefully make couple Top3 on those teams

Was that 1500 superscored?

1 Like

They didn’t specify, but I assumed so

1 Like

Does swim “…100Fly at 50Fly pace…” mean that you want her to even split the 100 fly at her 50 race-pace? I hope it’s a misunderstanding and that is not the expectation she’s putting on herself.

Even Kate Douglass went a +3.3 second back half split in setting her AR.

1 Like

sorry for the misunderstanding, what I meant is that her times aren’t well aligned within the same stroke, so her 50F/200F are much slower than her 100F on a relative basis (eg comparing to another swimmer who also swims the 50F/100F/200F). The same applies to her 100Fly/200Fly being much slower than her 50Fly on a relative basis (compared to another swimmer who swims the 50Fly/100Fly/200Fly)

Having times that align well makes a huge difference for recruiting, because it confirms that swimmer can be recruited to swim all the short events in that stroke and in relays, which is an critical objective for any coach.

1 Like

Canada coach meeting:

• how is recruiting different from US college recruiting?
  • Do they recruit at all, or do all athletes still pass the tests /scores/expected IB to complete the submission
  • did they have pre-reads?

hasn’t your daughter been in talks with and been offered at spot at a Canadian University? I thought that was your academic and sport safety…this seems to be their equivalent to NCAA https://usportscentral.ca/

It would appear they do recruit in Canada, athletic scholarships are available, and they follow guidelines and timelines much like the US, set by their governing bodies. There are academic minimums required like the US for athletic scholarships. Not sure about pre reads or likely letters or coach support but usports and google have information about the recruiting process and I am sure the coaches would be the best resource for your child.

The Canadian schools is where her grades pretty much guarantee admission to her specific major/department, and her times check with the team, but the coach conversation will outline to what degree recruiting offers a spot on the team, or to what degree it accelerates/coordinates admission into the school and the team simultaneously.

Thanks for the link, we found the same, but opted to first check with the coach, since this is a subscription service.

has she not already been in discussion with the coach? I guess I am confused since you spoke about the school in a manner that made it appear she had an offer of some sort. Canadian college athletics are outside my wheelhouse so I will defer to someone more knowledge able but a quick search shows that McGill is a top swimming school in Canada and they compete under Usport so that would be a great place to get additional information about university athletics. They also don’t seem to have many international recruits so that may be something worth asking about - is it a help or a hindrance to be an international student?

2 Likes

There was email contact, but this is the first zoom call, and we just wanted to get a better understanding pre-call, and trust the coach will be able to answer most questions. Indeed the admission process is very different, much more straight forward, predictable because driven almost solely by academic considerations. we shall learn how exactly the recruiting process synchs with admissions. Findings will be shared.

At least one great benefit for international students is that all the times are LCM/SCM!

usport isn’t a subscription service like NCSA or a recruiting platform, it seems to be much more like their version of the NCAA clearinghouse that is required for all d1 and d2 athletes, so i would get some additional clarification on that

2 Likes

They 100% recruit.

2 Likes

I’ve been casually reading these threads for a few months, and now (finally!) have skin in the game. D24 (soccer) has finally gotten offers from two NESCAC schools and both explained the pre-read process, July 1, etc. She is under the impression that she has to decide soon after July 1. Her top choice (also NESCAC) is notorious for giving out offers mid to late summer. Is it ok to sit on offers after July 1? It sounds like your daughter did just that before committing in late summer.

3 Likes