Swimming Recruiting for Int’l Jr. Targeting Highly Selective Colleges

After navigating the D3 athletic recruiting process with my D23 (in a different sport) this past year, and having received invaluable advice on CC threads, i just want to put a note up on this thread as a cautionary tale of what not to do.

I have followed this thread sporadically over months, and recently re-read the first 200 or so posts. What I see there is the OP consistently misinterpreting advice and information, and mischaracterizing procedures and drawing overly general and wayward conclusions (note: this is critique of their ideas, not them as a person). I am amazed at the patience that various posters have shown with the OP in attempts to correct the record and–if not to get through to the OP–at least not let false statements stand for future parents/athletes who might peruse these.

The same pattern has continued recently. Two things that struck me recently:

1. the idea of only adding potential schools to the list in late April of junior year (“waiting for couple drops before adding”) is backwards. Back in December 2022 in the early days of the thread, the OP mentioned targeting 20-25 colleges. Multiple posters also encouraged them to cast a wide net. The time to do that was then. Rather then seemingly months and hundreds of posts spent trying to nail down theoretical probabilities and percentages of Likely Letters at places where that was never going to happen (times didn’t/don’t meet Ivy/D1 recruiting standards and apparently don’t meet top D3 swim program recruiting standard either), the OP/athlete needed to have conversations with a range coaches to have a realistic assessment of the athlete’s “market value”. That would have quickly eliminated a lot of dead-end avenues, which needed to be done ASAP given the late start in the process anyway. As things stand now, with only maybe two commitments to academic pre-reads so far (if i am reading things correctly), the idea of waiting to hear back from other programs that have been noncommittal at best before reaching out to other schools seems ludicrous. The best time to to this was months ago, but waiting further really risks other trains leaving the station and doors closing, whatever metaphor one prefers.

One should cast a wide net early and then organically narrow it later, not cast a narrow net and incrementally widen. Whether the OP gets this or not doesn’t matter to me much (though I wish their daughter well in the process), but maybe future parents will see this.

1. From the very start of the thread, swimming seemed to be talked about primarily as a way to gain more certain odds of admission to highly-rejective schools. This doesn’t seem to accord with the strategy of having some less-selective schools in the “swim recruit” category, but then schools with even lower admission rates in the “non-swim recruit” category). The usual strategy would be to realize that without the hook of being a recruited athlete–i.e. without a hook for a chosen ED school–actual admissions odds are much lower than published data, and reach schools would be even reachier.

This backwards strategy is compounded by the types of schools on the two lists. The first is primarily LACs while the second is the very very pointy end of LACs combined with incredibly medium-sized private universities that don’t seem to have much in common other than very low acceptance rates and high rankings. This indicates that the student doesn’t really know what kind of school and atmosphere she’s actually interested in (and probably also that the list was compiled primarily by rankings). If a D3 LAC is appealing to attend if there is swimming involved, I don’t see why it wouldn’t be if not recruited. And if it isn’t in that case, it doesn’t pass the “broken leg” test in the first place.

Finally, there seem to be some fundamental contradiction in what is an acceptable outcome. I have seen different characterizations of the student’s desire and need to swim competitively at the college level. And I have seen frequent references to the fallback position of a Canadian university or two. If that was actually an acceptable outcome, I don’t think this thread would have reached 800 (!) posts. Focusing on a “win or go home” U.S. college strategy that contains all reaches --assuming coach support isn’t offered anywhere–is highly risky.

As others have mentioned, if the standard of “academically-selective” schools that are “worth” $400K to attend includes some that the OP has listed, there is no reason not have have cast a much wider net earlier. If Franklin and Marshall is on there for instance and meets the criteria in terms of adequate US News rank order and median test scores of students, LACs are preferred, and geographic considerations are minimal (as seems the case from the variety of places on the list), where are the other NESCACs such as CoCo, Trinity, Hamilton, Bates (those all also have the advantage of being in the bottom half of the NESCAC women’s swim championship standings this year–I think the ones in the top half have already negatively responded?). If Pomona and Claremont McK are on the list, what about Pitzer (combined sports teams with Pomona) or Scripps (combined team with Claremont and Harvey Mudd, and adjacent to very integrated with all the Claremonts)? What about Occidental? If Carleton’s OK, what about Macalester? For a selection of others in the same ranking neighborhood and test scores of F&M, what about Dickinson, Gettysburg, Oberlin, Denison, Skidmore, Whitman, Bard, Muhlenberg, Wooster, Willamette, and others? Many/most of these have strong environmental science/studies offerings,bnand outcomes in the field and quality of instruction are unlikely to vary in significant ways. If a student prefers an LAC atmosphere and the educational advantages they offer, these should be prioritized over more "prestigious " large state R1 universities (UCs) and private medium-size universities.

For posters who have patiently stuck with this thread and offered useful advice and information: thank you!

18 Likes

There are a lot of HS athletes out there. A very large # probably can make the claim of high level of commitment to their sport(s).

1 Like

To NiVo Getting a pre-read commitment is a necessary but only preliminary step. Need to pass that, AND then need to make the coach’s recruit list. If they’re submitting 20 pre-reads for 5 slots/tips/whatever, that can be tough! A lot of profiles might be very similar!

As an athlete, if you’re highly-coveted at a given level (and you would already know if you are), you can pick and choose between offers (or likely already have done so somewhat). The ones who are recruitable but on the margins will have far less certainty. If you’re low on the priority list, you could pass the pre-read, and the coach could still be interested but not offer full support yet. You could be bumped if a faster recruit comes knocking late in the process. A coach will likely try to lock down their top two to three recuits when (or before, informally) the pre-read results come out, and the others may be left dangling a bit as a game of musical chairs commences with recruits also getting successful pre-reads and offers from other teams. It takes a while to shake out sometimes.

As a side note: where did you come up with your “self-chancing” figure of 30% for Wesleyan? Class of 2026 acceptance rate data for students entering Fall 2022 was 13.9%. It’ll be probably be lower for this year. Also knock off a few percentage points from that if applying RD (or even ED without a hook). Likely go still lower as an unhooked international applicant (though they are need-aware for international students which might help a little).

On the other hand, with full swimming coach support, that goes to 95%+.

It’s likely either single-digits or above a standard confidence interval from a pure odds standpoint unless there is a more unusual soft-support arrangement in RD or something–and I don’t think anyone is in position to lay odds for that.

2 Likes

we value everyone’s advice, but equally ask everyone to bear couple factors in mind:

1. The process isn’t run by parents, but by a teenager. whilst I would have emailed 50 coaches in October, optimized my list differently, and included selective women’s colleges such as Wellesley, that wasn’t D24’s take despite continuous reminders.

2. Foreign families seek highly reputable academic institutions and deeply prioritize this, probably more so than US families. If D24 is a solid admit in Canadian schools ranked Top50 in the world, this sets a high bar for the schools in her US list, which is why both her swimming recruit list and non recruit list contain a majority of reach/stretch schools which she would love to attend, even though the percentage of getting in is low.

3. Whilst it makes sense to increase the list, some suggestions such as adding Pitzer when she’s already talking to the Pomona coach, or adding Scripps when she’s talking to the Claremont coach add little value to her recruiting journey.

But if she is a recruited swimmer that doesn’t matter? I think that is the part that is confusing everyone. If she needs a name brand institution to get a job back home (loosely speaking) how does that change if she is a recruited swimmer at a less known institution?

If name is truly important to your family, take your shot at the name schools and move on.

6 Likes

Here’s advice from December (58th post in the thread): “My only suggestion is that your D24 start yesterday and cast as wide a net as possible. Most folks wish they started earlier; few think they should have delayed the process. Wide nets are great, but note that they exponentially increase the recruiting workload, hence the advice to get going.”

Here’s how you responded a few posts down from that: “we’re casting a pretty wide net that includes ivy/NESCAC/…~20+ schools”

And then a couple posts down from that: “she’s identified 15+ swim schools across academic range with ED admission rates ranging from 9% (JHU) to 40% (Wesleyan). If recruited, she would ED at ~10 of them, and EA at the remaining.”

Doesn’t seem that you were recommending 50+ schools to your D at the time. And the thought that was a broad “academic range” was mistaken. They all extremely tough admits (the cited 40% ED admission rate at Wesleyan is highly deceptive as I’m sure you learned by now). The Ivys/D1s seemingly weren’t a possibility to start with, so that was a very small sample of very top-heavy schools from a selectivity standpoint.

In February someone advised: “It’s great that your D’s coach has some contacts, but she has to cast a wider net than that.” And someone else followed up with " If your daughter isn’t getting personal responses and calls/texts initiated by the coaches, it is probably a good idea to cast the net wider from a swimming perspective. Time to reach out to schools where your daughter’s times place her at the very top of the team, where she’d be an impact swimmer."

Now you tell us that “wider net” advice was apparently ignored, and here we are 800+ posts later seeing that as a huge problem in the process.

3 Likes

it’s a case of compromises. in an ideal scenario, she is seeking to attend a highly academically selective school and swim competitively on their varsity team. Swimming is important to her, but she doesn’t want to swim at all cost… She will prioritize attending McGill as a non swimmer over Swimming Varsity at Willamette. That’s a different perspective from many, and it could be entirely cultural

1 Like

But she’ll apparently prioritize swimming at Franklin & Marshall over not swimming at McGill?

Skidmore, Oberlin, Denison, and Trinity have the exact same ranking for national LACs (#39) as F&M in the all-important US News rankings. Oxy is two places higher. Many of these are arguably better-known than F&M. especially depending on the geography of someone you are talking to.

Are you basing evaluations of “reputable” on what an 18-year-old thinks, who, like many, has been to none of these schools and has extremely limited data and perspective on the quality of undergraduate educational experiences?

Part of the problem may be your repeated use of the phrase “academically selective school”. If this is repeated in your household like a mantra, that will carry weight. And even there, if “selectivity” itself is the end goal (rather than, say, academic quality), different measures such as test score ranges can provide much different results in some cases than relying on various rank order lists.

What about a place like Whitman, for example? At #48, it’s less than 10 ranking places lower than F&M in US News. Whitman has a higher acceptance rate but also has slightly higher SAT/ACT range than F&M (1265-1455 & 29-33 vs 1240-1430 & 29-32). A lot more people have heard of the former on the west coast of the U.S, and the reverse would be true on the east coast. And then going back to Pennsylvania, Dickinson is sitting right there at #51 with a lower acceptance rate than Whitman (and higher than F&M) but with a higher range of SAT scores than either (1373-1456). Does make them less or more “academically selective”?

Is someone really parsing out these minute difference in top-line admissions stats for small LACs in rural Pennsylvania or Washington and using them as criteria for cut-off decisions? Are there really subtle differences in the reputations of these for “international families” that would rule one out over the others?

4 Likes

Sounds like the OP is using the T.H.E World rankings (or whatever the exact name of it is); it’s not even an American publication, if I recall correctly. But you’re right; it’s just one more layer of opaque-ness to their decision-making.

The bottom line here is that, unlike most of the internationals who come to CC for advice, the OP isn’t all that interested in attending a US college. Canada has the super power of being joined at the hip to the US culturally and economically but separate when it comes to choosing where to attend college.

4 Likes

The OP has had some misconceptions and misunderstandings about the recruiting process in the US, but s/he has been entirely clear about their decision heuristics.

F&M, otherwise an outlier on the list of possible schools, is on the list because of a specific connection. So, similar schools without that connection simply are not relevant.

The OP’s student is very interested in attending a US college, but not exclusively interested. The OP has detailed (repeatedly!) the tradeoff between academics and sport that they are trying to navigate. At the moment, McGill is the best balance between being able to swim at a high level and a name that is recognized in the home country. That may well change as the college process evolves.

LOL would it be automatically better if it was? Is it automatically less good because it isn’t? The Times Higher Education (THE) World Rankings is one of the three global ranking groups that are generally seen as the most robust (the other two are QS & Shanghai). USNWR (which is relatively new to the global rankings game) is seen as still too US-centric.

4 Likes

No, but it’s a little irritating to late-arrivals to the thread. It’s like listening to someone praising PCs only to realize an hour later that they’ve been talking about Macs.

1 Like

^^This^^
As parents, I think it is important not to give absolute discretion to the kids. While it is their lives and future, I am sure everyone will agree that experience and mature judgement is always helpful to this process.

When our non-athletic son went thru the process, he announced that he had decided on a school (University of Rochester) and wanted to apply ED as they had a very specfic/obscure major that few other schools had. While my wife and I were impressed with his research on the matter, we feared that he might change his mind about this specific major and we didn’t know if UR would be strong in other areas compared to other schools.

While it would diminish his chances at UR to apply ED, we asked him not to apply ED and to apply to a wider range of schools. Long story short, he was admitted to Cornell, matriculated there and ultimately majored in something far afield of what his intentions were in HS. This was a win for all on many levels and our son is glad he listened to us. I view this story as an example of parents having strategic input on how to approach college admissions. It may be the last input you have.

Perhaps the OP can negotiate to include a few schools on his daughter’s list just to diversify her risk. To apply to a lot of swimming schools that have no interest in her, or to apply to a bunch of highly rejective schools without any real hooks is putting a lot of eggs in small baskets.

Again, Canada may be the option that gets the OP where he needs to go. How have the discussions with the coach gone?

1 Like

I understand OP’s strategy is to apply early to one school if a recruited athlete, and also get apps in to the near safeties of Toronto and McGill, where D would be happy to attend with or without swimming according to OP. (Myos1634 said Toronto and McGill are near safeties for OP on another of their threads, and that’s enough evidence for me)

If the D is not recruited, then she would apply to the full list of 10 schools (whatever those schools are come the fall but include the near safeties of Toronto and McGill). And the list will be a bit more than 10 because the UC app counts as only one. If the D has two near safeties she likes and can afford, the rest of the list can be reachy.

This is not an atypical athletic recruiting strategy.

Good chart to remember.
I would say that the above is also not just the probability meaning your odds if someone wants to play a college sport, but also the % of HS athletes that end up playing a college sport.
Depending on the sport, M/W, there are some sports that are not that difficult to find a college team/school to play for if that is one of your main objectives. There are also quite a few very strong and some high level HS athletes that were recruited and could have played a college sport but choose not to play in college as they wanted to experience or not miss out on some of the other aspects of college or university life.

2 Likes

An even bigger red flag to me, as the parent of a D23 who just went through a very similar recruiting journey, is the significant differences between the schools in the list. A crazy broad list from urban to rural, big to small campuses, conservative to liberal student body, was very common early in the process when kids are still figure out what they really want out of college and who they are as young adults but by late junior year most lists are a little more aligned. OPs list is all over the place geographically, culturally and demographically. Where will the child be happy - east cost, west coast or the middle of Iowa; do they want a campus of barely 2,000 or more then 10,000; do they want a conservative student body or a liberal leaning institution; is diversity important, does access to international hubs of transportation matter; do you want the idyllic New England campus or an more modern tighter campus footprint, ect.

such an odd list and it makes me wonder what type of meaningful conversations about the next four years have really taken place. I really think OP is so focused on admission that they haven’t really talked about what will happen once daughter actually attends

4 Likes

Agreed. Athletes/athletics are literally keeping a number of smaller D2/D3 schools viable. Two of my seniors just committed to play their sport within the past week or so. Not top athletes nor top students, not going to highly rejective schools, but still going to be a college athlete.

3 Likes

The chart was posted to illustrate my point. OP’s daughter’s apparent hook is her swimming. If she is not viewed by the swimming coach as a recruit; IMO, she is left with no hook at all. The fact that she is extremely committed to her sport (swimming) is something that a lot of other applicants can also claim. I’m guessing non-athletic commitment to music, family (caring for), church, and an after-school job would be viewed by AOs similarly. If she doesn’t become a recruited athlete, what else can she do to differentiate herself, an international applicant, from the many well-qualified applicants who have their own hooks and will be applying to the same highly selective US schools she is interested in? If she doesn’t have any hooks to offer, is the OP’s probability of admission estimates even more inaccurate?

2 Likes

OP’s D won’t be evaluated in the pool of hooked US applicants, at US schools. The D will be evaluated along with other international students, and OP did say D is Hispanic in one of their threads, which is a hook at some schools, including some on their current list.

ETA: OP’s D is also a legacy at two of the schools on the non-swim list IIRC

1 Like

I believe that the vast majority of successful applicants (domestic and international) to the highly selective schools the OP is interested in have some kind of hook which makes them stand out against the huge pool of applicants they are competing against.

I did not know that URM status was a consideration for an international applicant.

1 Like

Agree-at this point, it does seem difficult to make sense of the list of schools, even throwing a new small very remote school based on a suggestion (yes, I know it is a fine school with a large endowment though it is a very small school in the middle of Iowa, so a good fit for some though not for everyone).
I think we all certainly understand looking at where you could get an athletic hook for a highly academic selective school vs. a school where they could most likely be part of a team but not need the athletic hook for admissions, vs a far reach without swimming, though as you mention, it is all over the place when at this point the list is typically getting narrowed down as far as the type of school that would be a fit.
I think another poster commented about the laws of diminishing returns which may be applicable.

1 Like