Swimming Recruiting for Int’l Jr. Targeting Highly Selective Colleges

she is being recruited, there is no “recruited” end line until you have that acceptance in hand or sign the NLI. There won’t be a magical bells and whistles sign that a light pops on saying recruited! it is an ongoing process and any school she is currently in ongoing and personal discussions with a coach at she is being recruited at, and going through the recruiting process. Once a coach tells her she is no longer in consideration or that they are moving on to other PSA or she decides she does not want to continue discussions with a school then she is no longer being recruited.

3 Likes

So wait. Her two safeties don’t have varsity swim teams?

@circuitrider i believe both McGill and Toronto are places where she can continue to swim. @NiVo ?

I don’t think there are any safeties actually in her list.

@MYOS1634 characterized McGill and Toronto as ‘near-safeties’ (not considering the recruiting aspect) on OP’s other thread.

Because of Myos’ notable expertise in college admission, including the international scene, that’s a definitive opinion and categorization, at least for me.

1 Like

swim list includes schools with good odds of getting a recruit slot (F&M), decent odds (McGill, Wesleyan, Colby), and stretch odds (rest). Good odds certainly doesn’t guarantee a slot.

on the non-recruit list, some UCs, McGill & Toronto would be closer to safeties, all others would be stretch. Of course, this list will likely experience modifications after summer visits, potentially fewer stretch schools

1 Like

I don’t disagree with you about the numerous sports and athletes. I was just stating that in the case of swimming, which I know from direct experience, only swimming in high school is not the path to being a recruited athlete. The swimmers who are being actively recruited are doing club swim year-round for years before they get to high school and continue concurrent with the high school season. For my son, high school was his “fun swim” and that was not the experience that got him recruited.

3 Likes

Some teams may not be hard to make, but the recruits are the ones who will be swimming the races to win points. I don’t believe many students just want to warm the bench or not make the travel squad.

1 Like

What do you mean “a chance to be recruited?” Your daughter is currently being recruited at all the schools she is in contact with, do you mean the chance to be offered a spot on the team? Chance at a supported application (I assume this is what you are equating with being recruited).

I don’t blame you. There a strange resistance on this thread to following advice from informed parents who have been through the process (my informed speculation–though speculation nonetheless–is that has to do with unstated competing, and possibly incompatible, goals and acceptable end results on the parts of the parent and the kid).

We have gone from commenters in December suggesting a wider net be cast to commenters now in late April suggesting a wider net be cast. In between there was a lot of attempted tea leaf reading on the part of the OP to try suss out how many recruits, say, Dartmouth might have each year and how many of those received exactly what kind of admissions boost. Time spent on idle and ultimately fruitless speculation could have been better focused on actual contact with a wider range of coaches.

3 Likes

@GKmom23 yup exactly, she’s hopeful slot comes through

I have direct experience with girls soccer and lacrosse. Both sports also require club/travel participation to be a top-level recruit.

2 Likes

Same with gymnastics. Recruited gymnasts are club gymnasts practicing year round, 25-30 hrs a week, 5-6 days each week.

Agree that only year round club swimmers are getting recruited, disagree that they need to swim year round for years before high school. My son did not start swimming year round until freshman year. He was a multi-sport athlete, and not ready to give up his other sports. I know of another male swimmer with a similar path - both recruited. Now perhaps he would have gone further and been a D1 recruit with additional years, or perhaps he would have burned out or been injured.

Mostly for parents of younger kids reading the thread. It is absolutely possible to be a swim recruit without going year round before high school.

4 Likes

Yes I know-have a daughter who is a gymnast-22 hours weekly. I also know other sports do have heavy commitments. I don’t want to get off topic, I was trying to respond to the post (which I now don’t even remember the original wording-sorry!) about the difference between high school and club swimming. Also, because this OP is interested in the swim recruiting world

That is amazing and of course there are exceptions to every rule; generally swimmers start young. In our area, my son starting at 9 was actually a few years late to the game!
We also know a gifted sprinter who only swam a summer league and high school-never club and he is swimming in college, so anything is possible and I should know better than to make blanket statements. Sorry!

Those guys are always sprinters :wink:

7 Likes

And I’ll say that there are colleges for soccer players and lax players who weren’t on travel teams, but they may not be the top level in the sports or even best known for academics.

My daughter was recruited by schools at all levels, but the D1 schools weren’t the top competitors, the D3s were good academically but not as strong in lacrosse (okay, they were bad) like Kenyon and Smith (no Middlebury or Gettysburg for lax). She played on high school teams that weren’t that good (were okay) and on a club team in the summer that cost about $400 and not the $4000 most were paying for another club organization in the area.

So you can be recruited even if you don’t play club (really, my daughter’s club was like a rec league) but you can’t go to any college you want and get recruited or make the team (if they even take walk ons).

My daughter could have been accepted to U Florida but not played on their (No 4 ranked at the time) lacrosse team. She was recruited to Smith, but had no interest in the school and the lacrosse team was very weak.

The OP has made it clear he/daughter will not consider any school, even with a swim team that matches his daughter’s level, that is not a ‘known’ school. I recommended Queens in Charlotte NC as it is moving to D1 BECAUSE of its strong swim team and coaches, but he/she isn’t interested. IMO, daughter has little chance of swimmin on any of the UC teams, but that’s their choice.

3 Likes

@twoinanddone, what are you trying to achieve with your comment?

recommending Queens University / Charlotte, a D1 swim school with 1000-1200 SAT, which doesn’t offer her intended major ticks no box at all, when she’s been very open and clear about seeking academic competitive schools.

making a comment about D24’s ability to swim at a UC when we’ve stated on multiple occasions that the only D3 UCs are too fast for her, also isn’t constructive.

We value everyone’s opinion and contribution in a polite and caring exchange. Your comment was bordering aggressive.

3 Likes

Remind me her intended major, or area of interest?