Swimming Recruiting for Int’l Jr. Targeting Highly Selective Colleges

Seems pretty clear. They were advised to not post times.

1 Like

The OP has a history of taking all the bad advice and ignoring all the good advice.

2 Likes

@Tonygrace that’s the JHU cuts from couple months ago. They evolve as the recruiting season progresses

Chicago has a more customized list, which i may have deleted.

One of the most consistent advice we’ve received through this thread is that each college coach will be the best placed to know about his/her recruiting. D24 knows full well that her times aren’t the fastest. She’s both excited to have been selected for a number of pre-reads, understands that a positive pre-read is only a passing mark and that it doesn’t guarantee any coach support. But the pre-read selections are made by the coaches themselves, and they surely wouldn’t have invited her if they thought she had no chance at all of being recruited. It is somewhat puzzling that a CC poster feels they know better than the coaches themselves.

4 Likes

They want you to have NCAA cuts? That is ambitious.

Anyway, I was thinking about your D. Wasn’t Florida sectionals this weekend? How is her swimming going? Is she enjoying practicing with the US team?

2 Likes

@Tonygrace, indeed JHU/Chicago/Tufts/Williams were off her chart from the very start.

her California training starts today with 2 meets in July, California and Florida. Very excited to train in a new competitive environment, and has already connected with 2 swimmers, a former teammate, and a D3 swimmer introduced by a NESCAC coach she liked

3 Likes

It would help other potential recruits in the future (even ones who aren’t necessarily targeting McGill but are looking at programs that are similarly fast) to post those times as a reference.

1 Like

The McGill coach showed her Canadian sectional cuts corresponding to D1 times, which are too fast for her so she didn’t make a copy. For the rest of the recruits, it’s basically coach confirmation in January, which is substantially behind US ED/RD rounds, and are therefore out of her control, and do not impact the US application process at all

1 Like

Future recruits are not going to slog through 1200 posts to discover these nuggets. Even the lady who asked for the times no less than six times admitted to not going through the thread.

There should be no expectation on a site called College Confidential that a user share on demand. The OP chooses not to list the times. So let’s move on.

10 Likes

I think that’s a mischaracterization of what the CC poster said.

In any case, this is confusing to me: I thought that there were positive pre-read results, not just being selected to have pre-reads that are being done later, as this post seems to be saying?

If there have indeed been positive pre-read results, but no offers, or no indications about where the potential recruit stands on a priority list, a number of posters have stated that is an unusual situation. Therefore, it’s hard to glean what the coaches are actually saying (or not saying)

3 Likes

Sectionals July 13-16
Florida (St. Pete) July 25-29

My guess is the kids in California without Jr National cuts are tapering for Sectionals. Although the Florida meet is two weeks later.

Sorry meant to reply to another poster.

1 Like

Might depend on how close they are. The kids trying to make cuts will be tapering. The ones that have them might swim though it but still attend. Not sure who is going to FL - my guess is slower kids that wouldn’t otherwise go to a big travel meet? It’s a big expense. Our swimmers would go to one or the other if any.

1 Like

And related, I think it takes a while to adjust to LCM, and my assumption is Monday was her first day of practice in a long course pool. That and the trickiness of outdoor meets would make me concerned that too many eggs are in the basket of getting best times this month. Personally, I think the OP’s daughter should hope for some PBs but not expect them.

2 Likes

USA Swimming have modified the rules regarding qualifying times. Past races can only be submitted LCM times for LCM meet, SCY times for SCY races, no converted times. Luckily this has limited impact on D24 races, save for maybe 1 event. She’s unlikely to PB given the recent travel schedule, but is looking forward to the experience.

Last 2 coach meetings/visits on the west coast will conclude her college tour, including schools where she passed the pre-reads.

1 Like

In our experience this had way more to do with the specific swimmer’s strengths in turns (or not) than anything else. My son absolutely demolished LCM with no exposure before summer sectionals as he’s an incredibly fast swimmer with not so great turns. He made junior national cuts which he couldn’t touch with SCYs - also the reason I mentioned most coaches hate converted times, about 500 posts ago. College coaches need swimmers who can swim SCY and they know that no matter the conversion, the reality is swimmers are insanely variable on times between venues depending on their strengths.

2 Likes

Wow that’s super interesting - would have been incredibly tough for my kid and I’m sure many as there just aren’t that many LCM events before the big ones during the summer. Maybe that is changing based on this new guidance.

1 Like

OT: ha! How many times I have said “turn faster!” I also had a kid who was a slow turner and his LCM times were better compared to peers than SCY.

@NiVo i know your daughter really wants to swim. And I know this advice is buried way up thread. But I will reiterate;

• make sure the school is a fit WITHOUT swimming. Many kids don’t make their commitment of their sport all 4 years…. Injury/burnout/study abroad/co-ops all affect this.

• is club definitely out? If she is self-motivated, club swimming is a great alternative.

There are many excellent club programs and it has the flexibility if she wants to be committed to a team without the grind of “has to be there” if academics conflict.

Club would also allow her to feel some success without being relegated to a lane 1/6….

6 Likes

She is an international swimmer, so it is likely that the bulk of her swimming is LCM.

This is not new. I mentioned this way back when you discussed what meets she had times for.

Welcome to my world :joy:

I don’t think they explained it right. You cannot enter with a converted time but there are cuts published for LCM and SCY (I think sectionals has SCM as well but not above). Any non-conforming times will be seeded after the conforming time, regardless of speed. For example, for Futures (LCM) swimmers will be seeded in the following order: LCM - LCM(Bonus) - SCY - SCY(Bonus)

It can make for some pretty crazy early heats.

2 Likes

Oh I totally misunderstood. My son used SCY cuts for summer meets which were typically in LCM. And we definitely saw some crazy early heats!

1 Like

@lucy_van_pelt thanks for the reminder about making the “broken leg athlete” school selection. This college tour was very enlightening for her, as schools included “maybe swim recruiting”, “maybe walk-on”, and “only club swimming”. The #1 on her list is currently a club swimming school, #2 maybe walk-on, #3 maybe recruit, #4 maybe walk-on, etc which illustrates her focus on academic opportunities and fit.

Safety remains critical for her so no in-city American campus (Columbia/Barnard). She’s otherwise genuinely tolerant across the range from very small town to suburban, putting more weight in the academic & research opportunities available in environmental science, which can be much weaker at certain LACs.

Finally, she paid great attention to the coaches/AD who met with her, took her around facilities, had a drink, spent quality time to explain about their programs in great detail…or wrapped up the conversation in 15min. She’s very close to her current coach, and whilst swimming is a team sport, this made a big difference in her assessment.

Happy 4th of July to all.

3 Likes