Swine flu thread

<p>Here are the updates from reliable sites for Wisconsin.</p>

<p>so far 3 confirmed cases in Wisconsin, 2 in Milwaukee and 1 in Adams.</p>

<p>Pandemic</a> Information for Wisconsin</p>

<p>2009</a> swine flu outbreak in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia</p>

<p>CDC</a> H1N1 Flu</p>

<p>If you know any information please post it here.</p>

<p>stop creating panic...it is just the flu! Wash your hands and use common sense...no need to post cases on college Confidential.</p>

<p>Not creating panic, but there is something called reality out there, something you seem to lack.</p>

<p>I agree with Roxy. Stop fear mongering. The odds that you will contract it are still close to that of getting struck by lightning while in a tornado. </p>

<p>Besides, of these people who have been infected, the strain has not proven itself to be any more deadly than any other flu strain. </p>

<p>Reality? Yeah reality is that the flu is out there, but are you living in a cave? The flu kills something like 36,000 people a year in the USA alone. Why do you think this flu will be any worse? It may kill the old with health problems or those with weak immune systems, but if you are healthy you shouldn't have any problem getting over the flu.</p>

<p>thank you countrygentleman for being the voice of reason...glithcy..no need to be so nasty...</p>

<p>I think Glitchy's post is reasonable. I don't think one needs to panic but it certainly is something one should stay abreast of. I live in the Milwaukee area (1.5 hrs. from Madison) and over the past week I have seen the situation going from zero cases in Wisconsin ( but present in Michigan) to traveling west into Milwaukee and now into the western suburbs of Milwaukee. (seems to be traveling west) Schools are being closed in Milwaukee for 2 weeks if there is a single case of the flu in a staff or student of that school (12 schools are now closed). Currently the Milwaukee Public School administrators are deciding whether to close the entire district next week. Thousands of students would be affected. The probable cases in Milwaukee have risen dramatically in the last few days. </p>

<p>Some disconcerting things about this virus are-</p>

<p>-Some of the people who have died from this virus include healthy young people who typically do not die from the flu. (In previous influenza outbreaks the elderly, very young, or immuno-suppressed/compromised population were at most risk of death) In Milwaukee most of those affected or suspected of being infected are teenagers or young adults.</p>

<ul>
<li><p>The virus continues to mutate. The question is will it become more virulent or weaker?</p></li>
<li><p>The virus has now crossed species and infected a herd of pigs in Canada. The pigs were believed to be infected by a farm worker who recently visited Mexico. The herd is currently quarantined.</p></li>
<li><p>There aren't any vaccines for this virus so if it becomes more virulent through mutation there could be major problems for the public.</p></li>
<li><p>I heard that one of the reasons older adults aren't being affected as much as young adults by this virus is because it is in the influenza A family. Older adults may have built up some slight cross immunity to the H1N1 through previous infections or vaccinations of similar influenza A viruses. </p></li>
</ul>

<p>I think Glitchy's post is very appropriate since Madison is 70 mi. from an outbreak and since young adults seem to be a population at risk of this virus. I applaud him/her for wanting to stay updated. </p>

<p>The Milwaukee Journal has several articles on this topic- local and international. Milwaukee</a> Journal Sentinel</p>

<p>Perhaps some of the UW-Madison alumni with medical backgrounds could provide some opinions/insights???</p>

<p>Swine</a> Flu Information and Prevention</p>

<p>There's the link to the UW website regarding this. Could be of some value, or totally useless.</p>

<p>When you said "Adams", my first thought went to the dorm. lol</p>

<p>Way overblown nationally. 30,000 die annually in the US from regular flu. Most now think this one is mild.</p>

<p>Swine Flu is so overated! It's like the media ran out of juicy stories so they had to blow this one up... Why are politicians and governments acting so brisk you might ask? Well, if the media howlers and you are a public official you better act like you are doing something or risk retribution.</p>

<p>Hmmm... Harvard closed their dental school and suspended student activities in their medical school because of H1N1 (Swine) Flu exposure.</p>

<p>More college campus info here:</p>

<p>PEGS:
Blue - Suspected
Yellow - Probable
Red - Confirmed
Purple - Fatal
Green - Recovered </p>

<p>BALLOONS:
Red - campus closed
Higher</a> Education H1N1 Map - Google Maps</p>

<p>Physician here. Influenza is NOT overrated, depending on the strain, it can be a killer of healthy people. Better to err on the side of caution early on and then back off when more is discovered.</p>