Switch Major?

<p>I'm applying for Computer engineering (Elec focus) and general studies, but now that general studies is full, would it be beneficial to me to switch to computer engineering and electrical engineering?</p>

<p>Or would I lose my place in the review process or something odd like that?</p>

<p>Based on the web site disclaimer, your risk would be that you could lose your spot in General Studies. Oddly enough, enrollment in General Studies is listed limited (I think; you should verify).</p>

<p>General studies is actually full for fall 2012.</p>

<p>I got an email back this morning from a TAMU counselor saying that I should change my second major to something other than General Studies, for my benefit.</p>

<p>They plan on phasing out General Studies, so that is probably why it is full</p>

<p>I will make a brief case for why you should put at least one option as Physics:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Most people who start freshman year in physics have every intention of leaving for engineering after the first year.</p></li>
<li><p>Physics majors take all the same classes as engineering majors except for the ENGR 111/112 sequence which you may have to talk to an adviser about how they would handle that.</p></li>
<li><p>In Physics, you can sign up for the physics majors only PHYS 218/208 which you will need for engineering. The reason this is good is because they usually give the best professors to the physics majors only sections of these classes. </p></li>
<li><p>The academic adviser in the physics department is great.</p></li>
<li><p>It will be a whole hell of a lot easier to get into physics than it will be to get into engineering. There are not enough physics majors at this school, maybe 120-150 undergrads total once you minus out all the freshman that leave after 1 year.</p></li>
</ol>