Switching College from Germany to the US for entry into this Fall

Not sure why you’d think matxhing rates are higher for Polish schools than for Indian schools.
Note there’s no distinction between Poland and Romania when it comes to medical studies’ “reputation”.
Most internationals who aim for competitive programs have English as a second language and manage to score in the 1900’s, 2000’s, 2100’s,2200’s.
1490is average but to have a shot at being a doctor you new to be top 10%. Even if you dont use it per set, you may want to take the sat again to testyourself with the format - the MCAT is going to be a supercharged sat… .

@MYOS1634

Allopathic medical schools:

http://www.lcme.org/directory.htm

Cal Northstate just received provisional accreditation 2 weeks ago and is already accepting student students for Fall 2015.

Osteopathic medical schools:

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/accreditation/predoctoral%20accreditation/Documents/current-list-of-colleges-of-osteopathic-medicine.pdf

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/accreditation/predoctoral%20accreditation/Documents/new-and-developing-colleges-of-osteopathic-medicine-and-campuses.pdf

Note that BCOM has received preliminary accreditation and is accepting students for Fall 2016.

Additionally secondary campuses are being considered for a number of current DO programs and those are not included on the second list. (For example, RVCOM is negotiating opening a second campus at Southern Utah State.)

@MYOS1634
Polish schools are always advertising they have a high match rate. E.g. Poznan University says they have a “93% residency first-attempt match rate in the USA”, http://pums.ump.edu.pl/ . These universities programs are designed for foreigners rather than “normal” programs in e.g. India, so they are better prepared for the Steps and I think that’s the reason why their match rate is significantly higher than the overall rate.
I don’t need to take the MCAT - as far as I know I would only need to take it if I wanted to apply to U.S. medical schools or wanted to enter 4 year graduate programs.
And I just want to add this: In Europe there is a low dropout rate in Medicine and usually everybody succeeds studying this degree. Just out of curiosity: Is it different in the U.S.? U.S. medical schools have the reputation to be the best in the world, in Germany.

In the US, the majority of students who start out as premeds end up doing something else. Even if “a majority” is just 55% don’t apply to med school, that’s 45 left (but it can be as high as 70%). Among those, on average, 40% are admitted to med school. So, it means a premed’s odds of finishing in med school are, at best, 20%.
IN Germany, students are “cut” right away, while they are still in HS.

@MYOS1634
Thanks, that makes sense :). Southern Utah is advertising that 90%+ of their pre-med students where admitted to medical schools so I got a bit irritated (http://www.suu.edu/graduate-success.html on the bottom of the site).

90%+ of pre-meds being admitted probably means that of the students who still were pre-med by the end of college, and who actually applied to med school, 90%+ did get into med school. Many more would have dropped out of the pre-med program long before then.

Also, schools who issue committee letters can keep an “artificially” high med school admit rate by only issuing committee letters (essentially a recommendation) for those students who they believe are sure-fire admits to a med school while withholding them for everyone else. Most of those who don’t get the committee letter won’t bother applying to med schools because they know that their chances of getting in anywhere without that committee letter are low. Yet if an undergrad school only issues a committee letter for, say, a quarter of all hopeful pre-meds who manage to get to the end of the undergrad pre-med curriculum (note that students who get C’s in the required science classes will be heavily discouraged from even applying by their pre-med advisor), it wouldn’t say much about your probability of getting in to med school even if 90+% of those who receive a committee letter get in.

Finally, in the US, once students get in to a med school, only a very small percentage don’t finish (but that’s not really a viable route for you anyway).

“Finally, studying Medicine, like in any other subjects, doesn’t limit my job options to being a physician only and so I may look at other career options if I want to live in California. This sounds well-thought, doesn’t it?”

No, not really. My question to you would be how would you stay in the US if your job prospects in medicine didn’t work? No job =no visa. As @MYOS1634 pointed out “Most internationals who aim for competitive programs have English as a second language and manage to score in the 1900’s, 2000’s, 2100’s, 2200’s. A 1490 is average, but to have a shot at being a doctor you new to be top 10%. Even if you don’t use it per se, you may want to take the sat again to test yourself with the format - the MCAT is going to be a supercharged sat… .”

We have a large number of US students who have backgrounds in the medical and health related professions. How would you get sponsored? It’s not easy with a large number of domestic students vying for similar jobs. Not seeing the forest for the trees is going to be a challenge for you.

@happymomof1 and @PurpleTitan
Thanks :). I was just curios, don’t intend to apply to US medical schools anyway (and most probably won’t take the 4-year route).

@aunt bea
That’s the same with any other subject. If I wasn’t able to get a job in the US I would work in the UK. Or one of the French speaking countries. Or, in the worst case, Germany… I could apply at a later time or try to find a job in any other health-related area if living in the US is more important to me than being a physician. First, I should focus on studying and see how I may manage it to work in the place I want to work in then. It’s not that I am choosing something like Sociology where it’d be much more difficult.
I really appreciate it that you’re trying to help me, but phrases like “Not seeing the forest for the trees is going to be a challenge for you.” aren’t really helpful. I’ve presented my alternatives and I think they’re quite good (at least I’d have a job in a country I’d like to live in and job prospects are excellent in Europe). Why don’t you just tell me what exactly you think isn’t well-thought? Or are you trying to tell me I should not study Medicine because of my SAT scores?

My concern is that I think you are focusing more on the location, than on the actual study of something you would feel comfortable fitting into. Something you would enjoy and, at the same time, something that is natural for you. Students here need to be given realistic options. Most US students want to study a unique discipline that they can control.

And, those SAT scores don’t bode well for future boards.

Email Utah State and ask whether they do committee letters for Pre Health Students.

@aunt bea
No, I don’t. As I said, I would be happy if I worked in the EU as well. And as for the subject, you’re right. I didn’t choose Medcine because of job prospects or location only, but because I am interested in the job and I want something science related if it isn’t Engineering. I went through (almost) all majors available and that is the only major left that meets most of my criteria. The only thing that I would like to do more and that I wanted to do since I was 5 years old I guess is becoming a pilot. But in the current job market that is somehow impossible.
Do State Boards really look at SAT scores?

@MYOS1634
Will post their reply when they answer ;).

No, but the SAT scores correlate heavily with MCAT scores in many cases.

@MYOS1634
But I wouldn’t need to take the MCAT unless I applied to a US medical school so I should be fine.
Even if I took it I don’t think they would correlate so much after being more fluent in English.

^ correct.

^^ But you would need to pass the Board exams which are very difficult too.

Samman, there are two conflicting things that you want: 1° to become a doctor and 2° to study in the US. The big one seems to be “studying in the US”, so I would do that first, even if for a year; it seems to obliterate everything else (ie., to you, it seems that even becoming a doctor would be better if you were a doctor somewhere in California, desert, rain-soaked regions, wine country regions, rural regions, etc, included).
Once that desire/need/wish to live in the US is settled frm actually experiencing it, you can think about your choices etc. - especially since US colleges don’t require you to declare a major right away.
I have a feeling that next year in Romania Poland, or Scotland, you’d still try to transfer to a US college…

I agree with MYOS1634^^^^. Get that fantasy out of your system.

I think everyone has made their point.

If I had been discouraged by all of the naysayers I encountered, I would not be where I am today. Odds are I wouldn’t have gone to college at all. And certainly not in the US. (As a working class girl from the country-side, I was supposed to drop out of high school, get married and be a good house-wife… And studying in the US? Forget about it!!! WAAAAAY too expensive.)

I think Samman understands that he’d be facing an uphill battle to becoming a licensed physician in the US. So what if the odds aren’t in his favor? Being a physician in Europe wouldn’t be that horrible of an outcome.

Samman, any news from possible universities?
Did you contact universities from the nacac list?
I dont know whether they still have spaces and scholarship s but I thought that Mansfield U of PA and Greater Allegheny College of Pennstate both had space.check umn Morris, too. Trumanstate ?