Switching College from Germany to the US for entry into this Fall

@MYOS1634
The only possibility to go to the US for a year would to take a gap year and not attend any university, otherwise it’d affect my Financial Aid. But that’s somehow counterproductive. Regardless of where I attend university I’m not going to try to transfer, but rather study a year abroad.
And no, no other news unfortunately. I’m still waiting to receive an official scholarship award from Southern Utah. I did contact many universities from that list, but almost all weren’t able to provide any scholarships. Will contact the colleges you mentioned though :).

@b@r!um
Exactly.

@MYOS1634
The final scholarship award would be 8,500$ for Southern Utah. I would be able to take the remaining difference as a loan, but I don’t think it’s a good idea. It would be much more difficult to pay for medical school then, although it would be the best I could do to explore other fields and not only Medicine. Mansfield U, Greather Allegheny College and Truman State aren’t able to offer enough scholarships as well. UMN Morris doesn’t even offer any scholarships to incoming freshman.

What I am going to do now is to apply to the Polish MD program (and for a few backup choices in Germany). My Scottish choices are secured as well in case I don’t get into the program I want to do.

And regarding the committee letters in Southern Utah - it seems like they have a committee for this purpose, just in case you’re curios ;).

okay, thank you, and good luck! Keep us updated :slight_smile:

Have you checked out this thread “Low cost OOS universities, under 25K”, which includes this:
The University of Maine at Fort Kent and the University of Maine at Presque Isle
today unveiled a new tuition structure for out-of-state and international students that offers competitive pricing in those markets and also acts as a catalyst for economic development in Aroostook County.

For those students, that means their tuition would see a 40% reduction from $16,560 a year to $9,900 a year. Local economic development leaders are welcoming the rate change and what it means for the area.

OOS Tuition $9900 per year (and there are some lenient merit offers that could further reduce)
COA $20,592

(full-time) 24-36 credits $9,900
Fees 2 $975
Health Insurance 3 $997
Books & Supplies 4 $1,000
Subtotal: $12,872
Residence Hall Room 5 $4,150
Board (19-Meal Plan) 6 $3,570
COA…$20,592

University of Maine Fort Kent

2014-2015 Scholarships for First Year Students (12 or less college credits)

Scholarship Name Eligibility Requirements Amount

Bengal Gold

2 out of 3:
If SAT score is 1050+ (23+ ACT), class rank is top 30% or High School GPA of 3.00-4.00 $5,000.00

Bengal Silver

2 out of 3:
If SAT score is 950-1040 (20-22 ACT), class rank is top 50% or High School GPA of 2.80-2.99 $3,500.00

Bengal Bronze

2 out of 3:
If SAT score is 850-940 (17-19 ACT), class rank is top 50% or High School GPA of 2.60-2.79 $2,500.00

======================
2014-2015 Scholarships for Transfer Students (13 or more college credits)

Scholarship Name Eligibility Requirements Amount
Bengal Gold If cumulatve transfer GPA is 3.25-4.00 $5,000.00
Bengal Silver If cumulatve transfer GPA is 2.75-3.24 $3,500.00

(found by Mom2cK)

@MYOS1634
Thanks.
So cost would be ~16,000$ + personal expenses and transportation. Will probably be the same like Southern Utah. I think my best bet is to study a semester abroad.

Sounds right, yes.

Update: did apply to a medical school in Lublin, Poland. They do have a good reputation, even though their tuition is rather expensive (~9,700 USD/yr). If I take a small loan I will be able to pay for it, so no problem at all.

I am thinking about applying to Carol Davila University in Bucharest, Romania. Tuition is about 6,500 USD/yr. The reason that university is appealing to me is that it’s located in a big, urban area, while Lublin is rather small (population of 350,000, although more than 75,000 are students).
However, I don’t know anything about the university, especially not whether or not it would be a disadvantage compared to Polish med schools (not recognized in California and New York, which I could be somehow fine with and since I also think about a career in pharmaceutical companies or disease prevention organizations I am not sure whether or not it would put me in a disadvantage compared to Poland). Another disadvantage is that they don’t offer you admission right away, but have an English test at the end of September and the people offered admission to are those who have the best scores. Chances are, however, good, but in the worst case it would be too late to apply to any other university.

Does anybody know anything about Carol Davila University and can help me? Would you say I should/shouldn’t apply there?