Switching Engineering Majors

<p>I got admitted to Purdue for the First Year Eng Program (FYE), with an interest in Biomedical Engineering. I want to change from BME to Chem Engineering / Pharmaceutical. How would I go about doing that now, and/or will that affect how long it takes me to graduate?</p>

<p>xman, I’m the mom of a current FYE student. Since I’m not a Purdue student, take my post with a grain of salt. If you want to become a BME major, you won’t be switching majors at all, since you won’t be entering Purdue as a ChemE major. Freshman engineering students at Purdue are all FYE “majors”. They do not declare their engineering major until sometime after they’re completed their first semester in FYE. The following is from the Purdue BME web page:</p>

<p>“How Do I Apply?
Admission into the BME undergraduate program is selective as we are currently accepting 72 students per year. During January of your freshman year, you will need to submit your application and take our written entrance exam. Your overall GPA; Engineering Admission Index (EAI); application; SAT/ACT scores; and entrance exam will then be reviewed and a decision made.”
For further information, consult the BME webpage: <a href=“https://engineering.purdue.edu/BME/Academics/BMEUndergraduateProgram[/url]”>Academics - Biomedical Engineering - Purdue University;

<p>xman 15, I am also the mom of a current FYE student, and I believe what HoComom says is exactly true. Everyone enters as an FYE student whether they think they know what type of engineering they want to go into or not. That is the whole point of the FYE program - to expose you to the different disciplines of engineering before you have to declare. So…enjoy your first year, take your time to think about it, and don’t worry!</p>