Switching Majors From Engineering to CS

If an Engineering Student wanted to switch to a CS Major… Is it possible?

Thank you.

I’m assuming you are talking about UIUC. It looks like it is not possible to switch to the CS major if you weren’t directly admitted to it. There is a possible path to switch to one of the blended CS majors, but it is a competitive process. You can do a CS minor alongside your Engineering major, however.

I am looking at this FAQ: FAQ Computing Undergraduate Degree Options | Computer Science | UIUC

If I’m admitted to another department at Illinois, can I transfer into a computing-related major?

CS in engineering is closed for transfers once students are admitted to Illinois.

Majors in the Gies College of Business and The Grainger College of Engineering are closed for transfers once students are admitted to Illinois.

However, many other majors are available for transfers once students are admitted, including some of the blended CS majors. We also encourage students to consider adding the CS minor to their current major. Students should consult with their academic advisor to explore the options since each department and college have varying requirements.

1 Like

No. CS is a closed major as of last year. Before that it was difficult to switch, but possible. Now you need a direct admit as a freshman in order to get into CS in Grainger.