Switching to ED2 after EA deferral

Has anyone had any experience switching to ED2 after an EA deferral? If so do you think you have better odds going straight to ED2 than, going into the ED2 pool after an EA deferral?

Which school are you asking about?
EA/ED/ED2 acceptance rates and admission preferences vary by school, so I don’t believe a generic answer is helpful.

Wondering about Villanova. ED admission rates are 50%, EA/RD is 23%, so a big difference. So they allow deferred EA students to switch to ED2, I am just wondering if anyone out there did that and what their outcome was? There website state:
Please note that our deadline for application plan change from Early Action to Early Decision I is November 10. Our deadline for deferred Early Action candidates or students who previously selected Regular Decision as their application plan to change to Early Decision II is January 31.

I don’t know about Villanova, but Tulane has historically used this to increase yield. From what I have heard it seems to make a big difference, at least on students they feel may be using them as a backup. It isn’t uncommon for higher stat kids to get waitlisted on EA, when lower stat kids from their school are accepted ED. Their odds are good ED2, better than RD, because they know they are committed and won’t hurt the yield number by choosing a different school. I would guess Villanova is using the same approach.

1 Like

Emory too.

I think you showed the #s - ED vs. RD - so you still need to be stats worthy but it clearly will increase your chances.

Might it impact any merit aid? That’s another question to think about - and the answer - I don’t know - but I tend to believe it will be less on average for ED applicants.

Good luck.

Thank you, so I have two options, leave it as EA and if DD gets deferred move to ED2. The other is to just change it to ED2 before a decision is rendered. My preference is the former since it is none binding if she gets in EA and she can weigh her other options, but still switch to ED2 if deferred. What I don’t know is whether she has a better chance if I just switch her to ED2 before an EA decision is even rendered. Her stats are very good, in line with their profile, but it is a very competitive school. I think what you are saying is that any form of ED is good because of yield, even if she is deferred EA?

didn’t mean to repeat reply

Not a lot of merit aid at Villanova.

1 Like

I know, which is why I would like to keep it as EA on the change that she gets admitted that way before switching so that I can see what else she gets from some other selective schools. It’s her first choice so if she gets deferred then we will consider the ED2 switch, but just wondered what other’s experience with switching had been.

1 Like

If you want to see offers, don’t even consider ED’ing. That’s always gonna be a strategy. ED is schools strong-arming you. If it’s meant to be it will happen. If not, mom and dad can save and it sounds like that’s a desire for you.

1 Like

@SEV, this is a good approach. Stick with it.

“Villanova University offers first-year applicants a choice of four application plans: Early Action and Regular Decision which are non-binding and Early Decision I and Early Decision II which are binding.”

There are advantages and disadvantages to each option but thankfully it is a choice not an act of deception, manipulation or violence as some might suggest.

If Villanova is your kids absolute top choice ED will give you an acceptance advantage as the schools views it as the ultimate expression of interest and helps them manage and protect yield. In addition your child will benefit from being “one and done” at their top choice. Unfortunately your FA is one and done as well.

Schools like Villanova, BC, Fordham, etc are keenly aware of the reality that EA is a well travelled approach for students looking for a fall back if Georgetown and Notre Dame don’t work out. The school correctly looks at it as if they are gaining little but giving up something (a free option to attend). Consequently an EA acceptance can be very tough EA round unless the student is exceptional relative to the perceived and anticipated pool and worth extending the free option.

Not taking anything away from V as it is a perfect fit for many kids with a great alumni network. I revert to my earlier comment that if V is top choice and an academic, social and financial fit ED is your best approach to attain the desired result.

If for whatever reason however there is a desire or need to compare FA offers don’t give ED a second thought. The decision tree should be viewed as largely binary with pros and cons and you certainly aren’t being strong armed or compelled. The decision is entirely yours as to which quid is worth your proverbial quo.

Good luck.

2 Likes

The words may be clear but ED is absolutely a school using strong arm tactics. These are businesses. A guaranteed revenue stream is gold for a school. And they reward those who are willing to commit.

It’s a persons choice of course but colleges send out letters, rave about and focus on ED in presentations and continue to email and mail about the option, even after applying EA. Heck they likely defer kids to take another crack at them for ED2.

Someone may have will power but having gone through the process with two kids, I absolutely see this as strong arming. WUSTL was constant and Emory pretty strong.

If one applies EA, there’s no reason to send emails saying there’s still time to change to ED.

They are attempting to create fear and insecurity to create a decision that’s best for them. And yes it has its advantages for the customer….I mean student.

That said, the consumer has a choice. If one wants to see offers, they should hold steady. If attending the school matters more than seeing merit, then go ED. A lot should depend on the remainder of the list. It’s relatively easy to figure out who will pay and about how much they’ll give.

Best of luck. Make a decision and don’t look back.

2 Likes

I stand corrected. Apparently the Cambridge and Merriam-Webster dictionary folks along with me all got it wrong thinking strong arming was forced or violent coercion for whom a benefit only accrued to one party. I am glad that we seemingly all agree that ED “does have some advantages” for the students so I guess I will have to adjust my understanding of the term and thanks for enlightening me.

Isn’t unaffordability/inadequate aid the one acceptable excuse for backing out of an ED acceptance?

That being said, run the NPC and if it does not indicate affordability, don’t go the ED route.

1 Like

don’t want to speak for OP but sounds like it’s not necessarily an affordability case - but perhaps a desire not to afford - or to see if there’s a better value.

This is very common for people who don’t want to spend $300K plus - but find it hard to say no to kiddos. That may or not be here - but it happens often.

We all want to make our kids happy - so it’s always a hard thing.

4 Likes

My nephew is one who hopes ED helps him out. High school,senior, just diagnosed adhd, rigorous classes, but not a straight A student (his lower grades are in required non honors/AP classes). 1540 SAT, 35 ACT, really wants to go to northeastern. Very easy full pay. The whole TO seems to be working against him since students only submit high scores so he’s competing with 4.0 TO applicants.

I think that is probably true, although different schools may use it differently.

ED2 numbers are hard to come by for some reason. But when I have found them, they tend to be similar to ED1 I think, after you strip out the athletes, legacies and major donors. So lower, but there are also some “sure thing” ED1 applicants that really shouldn’t be counted in that number. They are effectively admitted before decisions are made.

Again, that’s just my reading of what I have seen. I don’t think any admin office will probably give you a truly honest answer to that question.

Sadly I know, which is why I would love to see how the EA response goes before having to commit to ED

2 Likes

I don’t think you are way off, strong arming may sound harsh because it is our choice, but colleges definitely benefit from ED. She is also interested in Wake Forest, William and Mary and U of Richmond who do offer some merit, although not a lot, so I would love to see those out before committing.

1 Like