Syracuse and Financial Aid--Syracuse Grant

Does anyone have experience with the Syracuse Grant? It says it is renewable but that it is based on your CSS profile so needs to be reapplied for each year. I am just wondering if people have had it NOT be renewed or have seen a huge difference in the amount they were renewed for.

It looks like it is a fancy name given to a need-based aid calculation . So it can and will change if your financial need changes year to year, based on information you provide on the CSS profile.

If you know now that your financial situation will be different in the future you can run some projections on their net price calculator.

Will you have multiple kids in college at the same time? The rules for that are changing for FAFSA schools (for the worse) and no one knows how the profile schools will handle that.

Definitely need-based which is crazy seeing as we have not received any financial aid from her other schools. I cannot imagine our income changing terribly over the next 4 years. Our son will not enter college while our daughter is there so that is not an issue. I am worried that it is a ploy to get us in the door and then we might not get even close to the same amount again. :grimacing:

You could call and ask but at my two sons’ colleges we had to reapply for need-based grants each year. The results were always consistent with what the need-based analysis predicted. I would think it would be the same here.

Thank you for the info!

You’re welcome!

Have you run your data through Syracuse’s Net Price Calculator yet (it will be on their webpage). If the results of that are consistent with what you were offered, then it is further evidence that this is a calculated amount that will be available each year with no surprises other than those that are consistent with a change in income or assets.

Edited to provide the link:

Net Price Calculator - Syracuse.edu