Syracuse Class of 2027 Official Thread

Probably some of the same people who are paying almost as much for a Syracuse degree. Rochester, however, is a much more selective school than Syracuse (in a recent year, 35% admit rate compared to 69%).

2 Likes

Depends on the school within Syracuse. I wish Newhouse at Syracuse was anywhere close to a 35% accept rate!

5 Likes

Syracuse provided an average of $13,000 in non-need aid to 1,500 students.

Rochester costs more and gives very few people $13,000.

Syracuse has schools with likely lower acceptance rates than UR, including:

Newhouse
Maxwell
Falk
Architecture

But I don’t judge a school by their rejection rate.

These rates at a highly rejective school mean little with regards to quality. All it means is a school’s marketing department successfully got a lot of students to apply and then rejected a lot of them.

UR had to pay out $9M for the sexual misconduct situation in 2020 or so. Their lack of accountability was a turnoff. I had forgotten that until now. That would not be a deal breaker if they had handled the situation better.

2 Likes

Who says it’s not? We have no idea of the yield rate for the school and I’ve not seen anything published to indicate a yield rate. We know 5000 applications for 425 spots. We’ve already discussed that top schools like Duke have a 50% yield rate, so what about Newhouse? Syracuse has a 16% yield rate, so to get 425 from 5000 they would need to accept over 2600 kids. Even if the yield for Newhouse is 50% higher than the rest of the university - so 24% - they would accept close to 1800 kids to fill the class, making the acceptance rate around 35%. Pure conjecture.

1 Like

Where did you get the Syracuse CAO of $244,000 from? The numbers I saw were low $80k a year, which would make it as expensive as RT.

5 Likes

I’ll preface by saying I don’t know what goes into the calculations that get them to the numbers they state but Niche publishes the average (annual) Net Price of SU as $47K. UR as $36K. Merit isn’t the only form of “free” aid. It’s certainly the nicest since it’s a commitment for the 4 years but beyond that many schools will get you to the EFC through grants/scholarships that will vary each year based on the that years EFC. The only people paying the $85K are the people that the EFC suggests can afford $85K (or those that don’t submit a FAFSA because they know that’s the outcome anyhow).

The fact that one kid gets a full ride and another kid gets nothing doesn’t mean a lot - unless you’re one of those kids! Too much comparison on “why did that kid get into that school and my kid didn’t” and “how come the school doesn’t think my kid warranted merit or scholarship”. In a lot of cases it almost seems like the denial was only a hit to the self worth of the person because “I wasn’t considering them seriously anyhow”.

DS applied to 12 schools which seems pretty consistent with many on here - though I saw a number on a different thread with someone that applied to 40(!). If we thought we knew what we were going to get - who was going to accept us and with what kind of merit/aid/love we would likely only apply to 2-3. We take a shotgun approach and so does the school with their admittances. Kind of reminds me of dating in my 20’s. :slight_smile:

Let’s hope.

I stand corrected and edited my post to reflect that. Thank you!

Myslice question-parent login has student and applicant home. Student login only has applicant home. Is everyone’s like that?

ATTENTION EVERYONE:

Syracuse is officially starting to release regular decisions as early as 3/22. They will be releasing them in waves spanning across into next Friday 3/31. Spoke to an admissions officer and admissions rep. Check your email and your portal regularly starting today.

2 Likes

I thought you already got in
??

Believe it when I see it. :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I did, I have friends who are in the regular decision pool. Just helping everyone out.

3 Likes

Thank you! My daughter is already in, but two kids I know are waiting (one Newhouse, one something with musical theater) so I appreciate the heads up and passed on the info!

Thanks for the heads up!!! :slight_smile: and huge congrats!!

Just called the office of admission, and they said notifications would start being released this Friday, 3/24. Not today

11 Likes

Thank you! That would be consistent with past years.

My D says Student, Applicant, and Employee on Myslice as well but she is currently taking a SUPA course so not sure if it pertains?

1 Like

Ever hopeful of a S23 admit and keeping an eye on the calendar I’ve been logging in periodically to SU to check for any dates for admitted student events. Until the login today it had been listed as TBD. Now there is a revised webpage that shows a spot from which registration will happen. There’s still no dates on it but it does list 2 options:
Admitted Daily Campus Visit (reads very similar to a typical admissions tour)
Admitted Student Event (reads as a 1/2 or Full day comprehensive program)

Just good to see movement!

1 Like

Thanks I just need to stop looking. The “law seat deposit” button returned to the parent log in today so unless they decided my DS should go right to law school