Syracuse Class of 2027 Official Thread

DD deferred then waitlisted. She did a tour, many zoom meetings, interviewed… literally could not have shown anymore demonstrated interest. And I am alumni. Oh well, their loss… moving on

2 Likes

I am back again and wanted to reach out and ask if anyone has any questions…

About me: I am a freshman at Syracuse, majoring in Broadcast and Digital Journalism at Newhouse. I was in the same shoes as you all last year at this time and was helped by current students. I am involved in Greek Life and other clubs! Reach out! Happy to answer!

My son applied and was admitted for Film in VPA, I am wondering if Newhouse is a better fit and if so how hard would it be to switch? He is touring tomorrow.

This is my sons story as well. Waitlist to Whitman as Top 10, 3.9, APs, two sports, president of 2 clubs etc etc. He has several acceptances with great merit. This was his #1 and we are disappointed for him. I’m not sure he will accept the WL, he needs to move on and feel good.

We are all just gutted about our D23’s waitlist and a still a pinch shocked. This was a target school for her and it fell flat. Syracuse was our Plan B! D23 was leaning towards Neuroscience but still uncertain. As a parent, the curriculum design at Syracuse is perfect for students who are undecided. We need to pivot and review those schools that accepted her. This is all so emotionally exhausting.

DD was accepted to Falk. She wants to attend an accepted students day to help with her decision. She visited Syracuse at the beginning of May last year and it snowed on our tour! She reminded me of this last night. Considering Tulane and Penn State as well. Visiting New Orleans this week to see Tulane where it looks like it will be 80 degrees. I have feeling this may sway her a bit. Good luck to everyone making decisions. Exciting times!

My son was waitlisted, too. We had tentative plans to fly from CA this month to visit, I guess we were off base with our predictions. A few things haven’t played out the way we thought, in some ways good and some surprising!

Anyone have an idea what the chances are of getting off WL for Newhouse? This one really shocked us. This process has taken years off of my life. Feel so bad for these kids.

I hear you. SU was considered a safety school for DD! This process has been gutting.

2 Likes

Spoke to admissions today, they said waitlisted students should hear very shortly after May1 if they will be offered a spot. Not late may/June, etc. like I have read some people mention. I guess we will see. Now for that LOCI my son needs to write/submit. Will this ever end??

1 Like

Did anyone else hear back about their second choice?

Kid said on they’d accept a backup to Newhouse and was waitlisted from Newhouse. Does this mean they are also rejected from their second choice (CAS) college at SU?

Anyone going to the Leadership Scholarship day/dinner on Sunday?

2 Likes

Mine daughters had her merit included in her acceptance

Congrats to all the admits!
D waitlisted Falk SM/analytics. Was already part of her spring break visits, she went ahead and secured an appointment to meet with someone at Falk. This is the kid that will not take no for an answer. We have suffered through a lifetime of negotiations and bargaining tactics with this child. :rofl:This may be the time when it’s actually a good thing.

5 Likes

My son was admitted to his second choice college and major that he had selected on his application.

3 Likes

We’re in the exact position, although my kid is not a negotiator.:rofl:

Someone at my school got accepted to Syracuse ED1, but withdrew their application after getting accepted to NYU. Will that affect my chances at getting in?

1 Like

that is extremely bad form on their part. Were you waitlisted?

2 Likes

Distinct possibility. I’ve talked to folks in the admissions process and the only real lever admissions has to come back at kids that bag out of their ED contracts is to hold it against the school in general. This is why the school counselor also needs to sign off on the ED contract. Not that the admissions office will ever admit to this.

that kind of makes my blood boil. If you plan to even maybe back out, do not apply ED (unless they offer less Finaid than their NPC estimated). So many things about this whole process makes my blood boil though, so I’ll. just add that to the list.

4 Likes