Syracuse Class of 2027 Official Thread

Any hear of any movement from the Waitlist? :grimacing:

My son is a current jr and he didnā€™t rush. Has a great friend group. you do not need to rush.

2 Likes

I have not at our high school, unfortunately. I would expect some movement at some point after May 1? Sorry!

1 Like

Oh no worries, just wishful thinking on our part. I am hearing movement for other colleges but we are expecting nothing until after May 1st for Syracuse.

1 Like

My daughter has numerous friends at SU who are not Greek and absolutely love it. They party, they have many friends, and just love their experience. I wouldnā€™t rule out the school based on one personā€™s take on it. I went to Johns Hopkins and the social scene SUCKED. Would I tell someone not to go because of it? No.

1 Like

My daughter was just accepted from the waitlist, but has to do first semester in France. Has anyone done this, or has your child done it? This is so much to think about.

Sounds exciting! Congrats to your daughter. I know kids who have done this at other colleges and had a great experience. Join this Syracuse Parents group and post your questions here: Syracuse University Parents United! (Unofficial Page) | Facebook

There is also a 2027 group. Congrats!! šŸŠšŸ’™Syracuse University Parents Class of 2027šŸŠšŸ’™ | Facebook

Do you have any idea how hard it is to transfer into Newhouse if youā€™re excepted into Falk?

We were told that only 1 of every 4 requests to transfer from another school to Newhouse are granted.

1 Like

My daughter received her official acceptance letter today. How do we know if we got any money? Where can we find the cost of attendance? I donā€™t see it listed anywhere.

It should be in My Slice. Go to financial aid, click 23/24, then award summary. Good luck and congrats!

Thank you for posting this because itā€™s really important and valuable to hear from all perspectives. What you say backs up what I have heard from others and read on the various threads re: social life if you have no desire to participate in the Greek system in a Uni with a heavily dominant Greek system.

MySlice says no Financial Awards (bummer) but it still doesnā€™t show the cost of attendance for her. Where can we find that?

Itā€™s about $86k, but if that hasnā€™t updated, your financial aid award might refresh as well. Did you call the financial aid office?

I believe last year we had the financial information before we committed. Not sure how it works getting off a waitlist but I wander if they have allotted most of the financial aid during regular admission process and are just not able to give more now? Good Luck.

We received it after contacting financial aid.

1 Like

My student just got an email saying Whitman school has some limited space available for Fall 2023 and he has 24 hours to reply if heā€™s interested (not a commitment). Once he hears from them after that, he would have 5 days to accept. This was after he got into his second choice Information School and not Whitman this spring. Feels very late in the game to receive an email like this and surprising since I heard Whitman was very competitive this year. In any case, heā€™s happily committed to another school and leaves in a couple of weeks. I wonder if they had a lower yield than expected?

Yes, I think so. I know a student who was waitlisted from Whitman and later accepted with merit aid. They did not respond and SU doubled the merit aid offer. They are sticking with their committed school. Yield is hard to predict and it seems that SU- Whitman should have accepted more and waitlisted fewer this year.

The whole thing cascades from one school to the next. Had your son accepted a slot at SU that would have left a spot open at the other school he committed to. That happens to them with a couple of students and then they go back to the waitlist. Whitman is competitive but doesnā€™t mean that thereā€™s not kids that were on WLā€™s at ā€œbetterā€ schools that got called up and opted out of SU.