Syracuse merit/test optional?

S24 will be applying to Syracuse - Newhouse.

In regard to merit aid, does anyone know if not submitting test scores is a disadvantage for merit aid (or perhaps even an implicit requirement)? He is our first so we are new to the process. His SAT is just below 75th% for SU. I realize this may be more specifically addressed by doing a full “chance me” since merit awards may be more holistic, just wondering about test scores since nothing else can be changed at this point! GPA is 3.99/4.32.

According to the CDS data on enrolled first year students, 40% of those without need received some merit. 28% submitted SAT and 11% ACT (which may not be mutually exclusive; some high scorers may have submitted both). The >=75th% of SAT, then, represents about 7% of enrolled students.

So there certainly are some test optional students who received merit but it would be interesting to get more information/anecdotal experiences. We would otherwise be full pay and are not looking for $20K+ but anything would help in the cost-benefit analysis. Thanks!

I dunno the answer but if so few submit and you are near the 75th percentile, it seems a no brainer to do so.

No matter SU isn’t known to be ‘aggressive’ and for their crown jewel will probably be less so. You should ‘expect’ to be full pay and there’s lots of fine alternatives if you don’t want to be.

And you should be ‘happy’ if any money comes in.

2 Likes

Thanks. I am also not sure if Newhouse test score distribution is different as I don’t think those data are published. But yes, I recognize that no one should ever count on merit no matter their stats. In the Syracuse forum, even for Newhouse enrollees, there are a wide variety of stats for those who report getting non-need based merit (and the amount of the awards themselves). Some kids w/ very high stats getting no merit while some with softer stats getting substantial merit even from Newhouse.

I do think I’d be happy for my S24 to attend Newhouse even at full pay because the school really clicked with him far more than any other he visited and it seems Newhouse would be a good springboard either in the industry or even to other fields.

As far as the quantifiable ROI for full pay, who knows, but probably worth it if he’s somewhere he loves and thrives. I’m an engineer who went into medicine so maybe I’m being too naïve and hands-off the other way about not steering my son into STEM because “he’ll be more likely to have a well paying job.” I went into engineering because I knew 100% from an early age that’s who I was meant to be (medicine was only a slight pivot from BME) - there are probably some miserable engineers and definitely some miserable or bad doctors who went into it because it’s a good job.

Sorry for the digression but it is pertinent to my thought process on full pay!

1 Like

I was thinking that but given it’s not a STEM heavy school (Newhouse), I’m guessing you’d be ok.

I’m 30+ years past but if SU has kept its same framework - it’s all about the Benjamin’s. And I believe it’s still need aware. And that likely matters as much as a test.

Full pay will have an advantage - and if your test is near 1400, assuming it’s not lopsided and the RW is fine, I’d submit.

But no matter what the outcome, you’ll never know what right or not.

Good luck whatever you decide.

I can’t speak for today and don’t know the major but I suspect Newhouse careers for most don’t happen but for those those where it works, they become leaders. But I’m giving a hypothesis. Ask the school for specific career outcomes in the major of choice. They always show the ‘highlight’ people but that’s a small snippet. If you want I can find an old Newhouse Network magazine and get to you. Sometimes it’s an e copy. The paper copy definitely has the people updates. I’ll look at the e copy to see if I have one in email. It doesn’t work as it’s just links in a email but ask them to send you the most recent paper copy.

SU is beautiful - looking across at the Hall of Languages each day,… the quad. What’s not to love ?

I took my son the other year driving through. He didn’t see the big deal and hated the 140 steps to Flint Hall. I thought the place was still magical :slight_smile:

While I don’t see the graduate profiles on the e mail here’s links to stories

1 Like

Great info as always @tsbna44. I’m sure it is tough to make it in the industry but may be not significantly different than, say a top music school (I have personal knowledge here), top theater school, etc and of course many of the liberal arts majors. Many will not end up with full time “brand name” jobs in that specific industry. However, I know many who are successful in other fields and their education benefited them in unique ways.

1 Like

My D was accepted to Syracuse (Whitman), test optional. I think they offered her $10k/year merit aid. They would have also given some need-based aid (it’s an expensive school) but she chose another school before we got to that point. You never really know what the Admissions people are thinking, but I think she had excellent Common App and “Why Syracuse” essays and SU values diversity and we live in a very diverse community and that shone through in her essays.

SU puts on a great Admitted Student event. We all really liked the school (except for the weather.)

1 Like

Hi, my S24 is applying to the Whitman/Ischool program this year. Do you mind telling stats?

I believe her GPA was 3.87 UW and 4.2 W. A few AP classes. ECs were captain of the soccer team, lacrosse team, outstanding female athlete from our high school, tutor to underprivileged kids, organized letter writing to senior citizens during Covid, Girls that Code Club, Freedom Riders civil rights club. She had a job where they promoted her to manager so she had business experience. Teachers loved her, so I am sure her letters of recommendation were enthusiastic.

Syracuse really likes demonstrated interest, so if your child is interested I would recommend visiting and the optional video interview. Good luck!

1 Like

My son applied (class of ‘21), zero demonstrated interest (I had no idea he applied or why, he wasn’t in the best head space, never mentioned it and not in our budget), 3.7 uw 4.0 w, only a few AP’s but AP calc and stats, APUSH, ES, 30 act, they gave him $10,000, business.

We are very aware our son only got admitted this fall due to his music talent. They really wanted him. He applied to VPA/Setnor School of Music. They offered him 33k/yr initially.

He was a 3.3 gpa but 35 ACT kid.

3 Likes

But merit or need ?

My daughter who is a freshman at Syracuse now did not submit test scores and ended up with a very large merit scholarship BUT it was though A&S. Newhouse, as I’m sure you know, is much much more competitive. I would not except a lot of merit aid to be honest since they have so few spots, but you never know! My daughter’s good friend who had a 97 average, a ton of APs/honors, and lots of great ECs with leadership roles got waitlisted to Newhouse this past year. I’m not sure if she submitted test scores. GOOD LUCK! As others have said, they do like demonstrated interest. We are thrilled with ‘Cuse so far! I hope it works out!

1 Like

Merit. With SU being one of the CSS schools, between me and my ex our income was over 300k.

4 Likes

Would be interested for those above to designate whether your kids applied ED or RD. I thought I read on SU website (maybe it was somewhere else)? That ED did not affect decisions on merit but of course, there is no “reason” for them to offer merit to an ED.

I think that’s the most I read at SU in merit. That’s great!!!

RD, after did not get into ED college.

My daughter applied RD.

My daughter is a freshman at Syracuse, but not in Newhouse. She did submit her SAT score (1530 - took it one time). She got big merit from SU. However, I believe her merit was tied to her leadership and volunteer activities in HS. She interviewed, and during the interview, they asked her almost exclusively about her volunteering and leadership. She received the Leadership Scholarship at SU.

Her good friend who is in Newhouse who is a sophomore submitted a 1380. However, he did not receive any merit and is there solely due to tuition exchange (otherwise his parents could not afford it). He had ALL the Newhouse things going for him out of HS - ran a radio station at his school, broadcast live from football and basketball games, volunteered at the local radio station, etc. He also showed a huge amount of demonstrated interest.

2 Likes

Can you share what kind of leadership and volunteer activities she did in high school? My son is very interested, but without merit aid, not sure we will give him the green light.