Take PSA offer or go to Blinn?

I got the news last night that i’ve been offered PSA. I had originally expected that I would just be denied as my grades weren’t the best in high school. My stepbrother and I are the same age, and we decided we would get an apartment down there and go to blinn. after reading some of these forums i’ve come to see it is not very easy to transfer from blinn after a year, especially because we are not guaranteed admission. I want to be in College Station and make some friends down there, plus we’ve already signed off in the lease and it’d be a pain to try and get out of it. I guess my question is, how hard is it to transfer from blinn vs going PSA and having that guaranteed admission? (side note: I am going for a Major in Industrial Distribution and so is he)

Thank Y’all

@AggieMomhelp or @Thelma2 can hopefully guide you a little.

I don’t have any first hand knowledge of transfers to ID from Blinn. DARs Reports show 32 transfers for Fall 2018. There is no way to know where they transferd from. The Blinn Transfer route says there were 31 transfers but again, I don’t know if that is Blinn Engr Academy related or strait Blinn. It doesn’t break it down.

Industrial Distrobution is a great major but the required physics, chemistry and math weed out a lot of students who are not strong in math/science. It won’t be easier at Blinn, as they partner with Engineering for the Academy and the profs are strong. Here is the transfer course sheet. http://admissions.tamu.edu/admissions-staging/media/Main/pdfs-transfer2018/ENG18-IndustrialDistribution.pdf

Being that it is in the engineering department but not an ABET acredited engineering major, it is not as competitive to enter as some of the others. That is not to say that it is easy, by any means. It is still rigorous and you will have to put in a lot of effort and study time.

Getting out of a lease will be very expensive.

31? Is that crazy, crazy low or is that just me?? I’m dealing with my daughter trying to make the same decision. But we are looking at PSA vs PTA vs going to another university altogether. She’s so broken hearted right now.

PTA program is pretty easy to follow (if they offer it for your major) we are choosing to do that as PSA had classes that my daughter didn’t need to take for her major. Not sure how it is now but we have nieces and cousins who all went to Blinn on their own over the past 10 years and all ended up at TAMU and graduated.

@Hailbop16 Industrial Distribution is in the engineering school and getting a seat there from outside is difficult in addition to the courses being very rigorous and difficult. For the actual ABET majors, transfer rates are 1-5 per semester.
On another thread, I look up transfers from Blinn to Ani Sci majors and there were 13 for Fall 2018. If I add all transfers in, the total is 95 for fall.

I am so sorry she is broken hearted, I feel for both of you.
What is the specific major she was applying for, BIMS, Ani Sci?

Thank you for the info! I’m sorry if this is a silly or obvious question but are you literally saying 13 people transferred from Blinn to animal science or are you saying 13 people from this board that you read? I looked up the DARS report mentioned on another thread and it’s so hard to decipher.

@Connortx If you plan is to major in Industrial Distribution you best best option is to enroll in one of the Engineering Academies. There is no PTA option for engineering. PSA requires a 3.25 GPA. So while it is possible to transfer from Blinn, you better have a very high GPA. If you go the Engineering Academy route you need a minimum 2.5 to have a shot. You can find information on the Engineering Academy thread on the first or second page of the forum.

@Hailbop16 13 total from the DARS. Animal Science is extremely competitive. Not as hard as Mays/Engineering, but if going straight science vs. production, it’s tough. So if you can get a guarantee, then I’d take that route for this major.