Taking AP Tests 2021

:pleading_face: Need advice -
Can anyone share their opinions about taking AP tests this year? If you have advice, I welcome it. The GC is pushing for taking the tests but our school is on the Block System due to COVID. So, kiddo finished 56 chapters of AP Bio in 9 weeks during the Fall term. Now Kiddo is supposed to study - and we have the option to pay $300 for an AP prep course in the spring - and take the AP Bio test in May. Given that Kiddo basically “jet skied” over the material (even though earned an A), the content did not “stick to the ribs”. Therefore, I predict that the AP test will be a waste of time, effort and $$. DH and I believe kiddo should focus on the SAT and not the AP tests. Do you really think colleges will be jonesing for AP tests next year?

What do you all think?

Given Covid, my kids plan was to complete the SAT, then take the AP’s( if available) . Kid was pretty excited that subject tests went away. For the AP’s, I don’t think they are that important. If the kid has solid GPA from a BS and good letter grade in that subject then I think it’s just a bonus if they have a 5 on the AP. I’d be more concerned about AP’s for English Univ’s. But our kid’s not going that route.
Since you had shortened classes, it might be hard to get the full 4/5. Seems like AP’s are as much a factor of how much material is covered as what is retained. How can anyone learn everything in that short time block?
Finally, I think the SAT is the main test. Even with TO, if you have a solid score, I think that’s going to be the only test that is going to be available to schools this year. Maybe some kids will have SAT/ACT and AP’s but many will have fewer AP’s than normal.

3 Likes

Our school does not offer AP courses and does not require AP tests. A few courses teach close to the AP curriculum and tell students that they’d be mostly prepared for the AP test at the end of the course. However, I wouldn’t go so far as to say teachers encouraged taking the AP tests.

FWIW - our son is sticking with having taken only 1 AP test (calc). He’s not going to pivot and try to add to his application a group of test scores that are not aligned with his schools curriculum (which is stated in the info that goes to colleges).

2 Likes

Also, our son already took 2 SAT subject tests. Hopefully, those will still be accepted by most colleges.

1 Like

No. If colleges opt to give more weight to AP exams in admissions, it will not be next cycle. As it is, many colleges are continuing TO next year. Combined with uncertainty if how the tests will be administered, now is not the time to change policy.

The answer is different if kid is applying to UK unis and/or wants the AP credit.

2 Likes

The “pro” argument is that at least last year the outcomes seemed pretty random. Lots of kids who should have gotten 5’s got 3’s, but also lots of kids who probably would have gotten a 3 in a normal year got a 5. So who knows, you may get lucky.

The “con” argument is bigger. First, I don’t think schools care as much as some people think even in a normal year about AP. If you have them, it’s a plus, but I don’t know that the absence is a big negative. Especially for the next couple of years until the kids currently in HS who took classes and tests during the Covid era cycle out. Everyone knows that lots of kids have negative things going on, and for all they know the teachers announced if you want to take AP tests you are on your own because we aren’t teaching that material in the class this year. My kids have had that happen during normal years.

The second thing I can speak to a bit is the block schedule. We have this at our LPS. It is less abreviated than what you have now it sounds like, but our classes are always one semester long, so end either in December or late May. So either you are 5 months removed from the material, or you still have a few weeks to go, which would be more like 6-8 weeks worth of material if it was being covered at an annual pace not a semi-annual one.

Our kids tend to not take the tests. Most of these classes are also offered for dual credit, so that option is much more popular The ones who do take the tests tend to be the very top students who plan on applying out of state (not that many students). They also do poorly, even though they are our top students.

FWIW, the most likely outcome is probably he spends time studying for the tests, time that would be better spend doing anything else, including decompressing and watching Netflix in my opinion. And he gets scores he doesn’t want to report anyway.

I guess the exception to that advice would depend on where he may end up going to school, as I know you are looking at golf so not necessarily just top academic schools. If he may end up at a school where he would get credit for a 3, then it may be worthwhile. You wouldn’t necessarily report that on your application, but he may be able to knock a few classes out of the way, which would also give him a lighter academic load in college, which is really helpful for athletes especially.

2 Likes

I am drawing off our experience with my PS student, not the one at BS. Her HS runs on a block schedule. Reg and H classes are a semester, AP’s are three terms. Therefore, they have a bit over a month from class completion until the exams. That gap most certainly affects retention and performance. Historically, our students perform much lower on AP exams than those at the nearby schools with similar demographics (and SAT scores) but don’t have a block schedule. I couldn’t imagine kids taking it with many more months between…unless that is one really good $300 refresher!

1 Like

Thanks @Skieurope! That is our challenge. Kiddo wants to apply to a certain UK school (no, not just for golf). As of now, the GC is telling us they need at least 3 or 4 AP’s with a score of 4 or higher for that school. I have spent time at that wonderful university and would be sad for Kiddo if not having AP tests would mean no application. Any news that you have from the UK?

It’s fluid. AFAIK, Oxbridge has not moved off their requirements. As an example of a popular schools for Americans, St Andrews is acknowledging the CB changes and seems to be more flexible when explained in the personal statement. That said, I am of the opinion that those with AP scores will be advantaged. In that situation, I would opt for taking the exam.

1 Like

If looking at UK I withdraw my advice. But good luck, because I do think the gap will make it a lot more difficult.

I must say, @Golfgr8 , I am so annoyed on your behalf that the teacher does not do AP study groups for free (as they should IMO at a school like that). I think the system is total baloney but with more actual swearing.

We are in the same boat. We were told the class does not cover the end of the AP material so kids will need to self teach the last whatever part of the book in order to be ready for the AP test. UM??? What am I paying for again? Surely it is to have my kid be ready to take the AP exam after taking a class that’s an AP class???

1 Like