Taking foreign language outside of student’s high school…for college admission

It likely will all work out. Let him try another language and see if he likes it. He may surprise you and have little issue with a French class, which may not be stressful or a lot of work. My current junior had Spanish 1st-8th grade at a private school. I then put him in Spanish 1 at his private high school. Super easy and was zero work so he could concentrate on his other core classes.

1 Like

It’s how the magnet works.

I have a physics major at HYPSM, and I would never have suggested 4 stem classes a year for her. It is not necessary nor particularly helpful.
And yes, She took FL thru the AP level

4 Likes

It’s how the magnet works. I don’t think any of us have perfect school choices.

But given that it’s intense, I’m hesitant to try two languages on top of that, even for a kid who likes STEM and languages.

1 Like

I just realized that perhaps the reason why people are misunderstanding my question is that someone else edited my title and it doesn’t reflect my question.

My question is how does taking the language outside of school impact, but the question now reads like he might not take a language at all. That’s not an option being considered.

1 Like

What exactly would you like the title to say?

This student is looking at a STEM magnet high school. My D also had a stem heavy curriculum in HS. It served her well for engineering.

To be fair to the mod who edited your title, your original title “No foreign language in high school?” wasn’t reflective of your question either

1 Like

I guess I am not clear on whether CTY counts as officially taking a high school class outside of school if his high school won’t award credit. Their website says “CTY Online Programs does not award credit for its courses, but we encourage parents and students to speak to their school about credit or placement prior to enrolling in a CTY online course.”

It sounds like both you and he are pretty set on this plan, so in that case, I would probably try to push back with the school a bit when the time comes to see if they would issue credit. Magnet schools can sometimes have some leeway that other schools do not with those sorts of things. Either way, if you do go the CTY route, I would make sure to have him complete through the AP level (and take the test) to maximize the chances that colleges will consider that as taking a higher level language in high school. It’s not a traditional pathway so it’s hard for any of us to guess whether that eliminates college options in the future–and oftentimes, while having the minimum a school requires won’t eliminate it as an option, it’s hard to say how a school will view the transcript when compared with peers who have done higher levels/the traditional route at their high schools. I do think there is also the possibility that they will recognize his passion and commitment for a language that wasn’t offered and it could make him stand out…there just isn’t a way to guarantee every admissions officer will view it that way.

I also don’t know what his soccer commitments are going to be like but if it’s anything like the schedule kids around here have where they are practicing 4 or 5 times a week plus games/travel on weekends, I would just caution you to really consider whether adding in an evening language class on top of the heavy STEM load leaves enough time for homework and down time. If that magnet school is anything like the very intense academic magnet in our area, there will be A LOT of homework and studying needed to keep up. Most kids at the magnet here who are taking heavy course loads and playing a sport at a high level are taking a study hall instead of an extra elective and are not doing evening classes on top of everything else just to stay afloat. I totally get wanting to support his passions and interests but a heavy STEM load, soccer, outside language classes, plus art at school sounds like a lot of work (and again, if his magnet is anything like ours, even fun electives come with a heavy outside work load when it is high school level, so don’t count on the art class not having homework or requiring time outside of school to finish up big projects). You know your kid best, so he may thrive with a busy schedule and be totally fine taking all of that on. I have a kid that sounds a lot like him, so I get it…she wants to do ALL the things, but I also think it’s important for kids to learn to make space in their schedules to avoid burnout, and if they don’t learn that in high school, when will they learn it?

8 Likes

Can’t agree with this post enough!

For my D, middle school was when she started having to make some hard choices on activities because there weren’t enough hours in a day. It was good practice for HS when she had to make even harder decisions regarding priorities. The work load at these STEM HS is no joke.

11 Likes

Yes! My daughter is in middle school now and just having to make those choices this year. She ended up letting softball go after we heard the schedule expectation of 4 practices a week plus a coach who suggested everyone do private lessons once a week and travel softball on the weekends. It would have left no room for her other activities if she still wanted to fit in homework and getting enough sleep each night. I also think it’s important to leave room for being bored and seeing what evolves from that when you are a kid. She and her brother had nothing to do over the weekend and just randomly decided to start a neighborhood newspaper. They spent the day creating articles and making a layout and printed out a 4 page newspaper…and it turns out, she has a real talent for writing articles and they are going to keep creating new issues!

6 Likes

In sportsmom’s previous post I made a similar point, saying what a shame it is that so many people don’t seem to value language learning and it usually seems to be the first course they want to somehow test out of once they get to college to avoid taking anymore. Foreign language knowledge is, very unfortunately, not highly valued in the US.

(This is not directed at sportsmom’s son at all - just a general cultural observation. I totally get her son’s love of Mandarin - my daughter studied Mandarin in elementary school, but in high school wanted to try something different so did a year of Spanish, and really missed Mandarin - fortunately our school offers the language so she was able to switch back - but I do get how a kid might love learning the language, as mine certainly does, too.)

Edited to add: And perhaps if foreign languages were more highly valued in the US, her son’s potential future high school might have a broader array of options for students, including Mandarin. So we are likely actually on the same side here.

2 Likes

High school should be about getting broad exposure to many things. Most kids do not like some of their courses. That is ok. 4 years study of the 5 core subjects should be a good foundation for later focus and specialization. Students’ interests and opportunities change and a solid background will always be helpful.

My kid who I had to force into AP French ended up working in France, to both of our surprise.

2 Likes

If CTY courses are not counted as high school (or college) credit unless the student’s main high school gives credit for them, and the student’s main high school will not, and the student wants to take Mandarin at an outside school and not take a language at the main high school, then it is best to choose a different school for Mandarin that offers high school (or college) credit bearing courses on its own.

3 Likes

It seems there are 4 balls the OP is trying to juggle: STEM magnet school, mandarin, art, and soccer. This is really going to be difficult, and a plan that looks workable now is going to fall apart as soon as the online mandarin class conflicts with soccer practice or some other similar conflict. It sounds like a problem waiting to happen. I really think this kid needs to make a choice. Go to a regular high school where the science demands are lower and he can do mandarin in school and take art classes too. Or maybe go to the STEM high school, keep mandarin out of school, and give up soccer and acknowledge that there may also be admissions consequences in the future. Or go to the STEM high school and take a language they offer in school. The OP is just trying to fit too many things together.

14 Likes

Based on your comment re: the four balls, I am going to put in a plug for Stanford Online High School for full-time enrollment rather than single-course enrollment for Chinese, which I had previously suggested .

OHS is an extremely rigorous school with a top-notch STEM program with students regularly taking math, science and humanities classes at post-AP levels that are very very rigorous.

They offer Chinese, and a number of students choose OHS because they are competing athletically or artistically at a very high level and want/need the flexibility of OHS’s college-style schedule. OHS also has art classes, although in full disclosure my son never had room for them in his schedule.

Of course, as a private school there is tuition and also an application process. But it might let all four juggling balls stay in the air!

And they start in 7th grade, despite the name.

1 Like

Revising the options, it looks like:

• Attend STEM magnet school:
    • Take Spanish and art at that school (no Mandarin).
    • Take art at that school and Mandarin at an outside school that gives high school or college credit on its own (not CTY) (more scheduling and commuting logistics).
    • Take Spanish and art at that school and Mandarin at an outside school (very heavy schedule with more scheduling and commuting logistics; may be more difficult to schedule around soccer).
  • Attend other district school with Mandarin and art; take advanced math and science at an outside school after exhausting the math and science offerings (more scheduling and commuting logistics).
  • Attend some remote school like SOHS with greater scheduling flexibility, advanced math and science, Mandarin, and art (may be costly).

Of course, if the STEM magnet school and the remote school like SOHS are selective admission, there is the possibility that those options are not available.

Which would the student prefer?

I agree. My original title wasn’t great either.

Frankly, a STEM magnet school is so much easier for advanced math and science classes. Piecing together those classes for a student’s schedule - after exhausting options at a more traditionally-paced school - is tough on a student and on a family. Many kids have to do dual enrollment at the local community college - now that is some juggling. And you have to test on campus, use the tutoring center if you need help, the teachers don’t always “teach to test”, etc. It’s hard. Having these courses on a STEM magnate high school campus is a huge boon.

The most comprehensive high schools in my area still have students take art classes outside of school at more specialized studios. These classes are held after school and/or on weekends and are a more pleasant and chill way to build a 2D art portfolio.

Middle school is when many families start making these hard choices in academics versus sports and arts/languages. And every year the schedule is a puzzle juggling fitting in as many courses as possible without conflicts. Having more class options on one campus can cut down on the logistical nightmare.

1 Like

Do you have an adult home during the day?

I have trouble imagining him alone all day, even if he’s interacting with other people online. I’m sure there are some kids that would do great with that, but I’m not sure he’s one of them.