Taking GRE at Bama in fall

<p>Hope to get input from recent grads (like Seatide or momreads), as to whether they took the GRE on campus at Bama and whether they took it during the school year.</p>

<p>30 years ago, when I took the GRE, I had already graduated. I went to the local college on a Saturday and took the test, on paper, just like I did the ACT in high school.</p>

<p>As times have changed and applications have to be put in for grad school in the fall of one’s senior year, I’m wondering if kids can take the GRE on campus in the fall while they’re attending classes. I’m hoping the test is offered on Saturdays so it doesn’t interfere with classes.</p>

<p>I know, ideally, one would like to take a prep course and take the test during the summer, but for some people, that’s not going to be an option, so wanting some input for those who have to wait until the fall to take the GRE.</p>

<p>You can look up available test centers and dates on the ETS/GRE website (I had looked at it for my D, who needs to take the GRE for University Scholars). It looks like you can take it on campus and it’s offered on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays (though not every one of those days each week). It appears to be given at 9 am on MRF and 8 and 12:30 on Tuesdays.</p>

<p>Thank you. I didn’t realize University Scholars had to take it. Has your daughter taken the GRE test yet, on campus, or is she planning to take it in the fall?</p>

<p>Not liking the no Saturdays. Very hard for STEM majors to have that much time available during the week. </p>

<p>Just going to have to work around it.</p>

<p>^^ I’m hoping she prepares for and takes it over this summer. But hope springs eternal. . . .</p>

<p>GRE is offered at other testing facilities. My D took it at town near her school and she could sign up for Saturday afternoon times…perfect for her schedule. See if offered other than on campus. Computer based test is actually nice. If you finish a section, you move on, not sit and wait for other students. D finished in 2-2:30 hours and made good score.</p>

<p>She took at Prometrics test center. There are GRE sites at these centers in Birmingham and other places. I know it’s a drive, but my D drove 45 minutes to hers and the fact that she had option of Saturday afternoon was great. If she had waited until she came home for summer, she would have had to take it at local univ. at more inconvenient times.</p>

<p>It’s best to take the GRE during the summer when there’s less going on. You can practice, get a good night’s sleep, and then take the test.</p>

<p>We found taking the noon (or 1pm?) test in B’ham to work well.</p>

<p>Montegut: My son took the GRE on campus during the fall of his sophomore year. He, however, took the old version of the exam. Never took a prep course, although he did have a GRE book so he could review the types of questions asked. The “life” of the score is five years – learned that from one of my fellow teachers who needs to take it for her masters program in math.</p>

<p>DS took GRE on a Saturday in Birmingham. Couldn’t work the Monday test into his school schedule…He also took the test for University Scholars.</p>

<p>I took the old GRE at a testing center near my home. A quick check of the GRE website shows a couple testing centers near NOLA.</p>

<p>I agree that taking the GRE during the summer is a good idea. I recommend a late morning appointment so one can get plenty of rest before taking the GRE.</p>

<p>^^^Thanks, seatide. Son is working on campus this summer, so hoping he can take it at Bama while he’s there. Hope you are having a great postgrad summer!</p>

<p>So when do they have to take the GRE for Univ Scholars? Prior to the 5th year? Is that summer early enough?</p>

<p>University Scholars need to take the GRE/GMAT and then apply and be accepted to the graduate program before registering for graduate classes, so the earlier the better. The summer before starting graduate classes works, but course selection may be limited by then.</p>