Taking Notes

<p>I know this may sound like basic stuff. But how do you (or your child) take notes? My D loves social media and a number of games on the iPad. Her school requires iPads- no laptops. I suspect her note-taking ability may increase if she does it the old-fashioned way (back in the stone age we used to use notebooks and pens). Less electronics would mean no Twitter distraction and no games. Is it unheard of to take notes manually in college these days?</p>

<p>Her grades are good but as a rising senior I believe this is the year to tweak habits and really pay attention to what works best.</p>

<p>Thank you for your input!</p>

<p>Both of my kids’ notes were taken by notebook and pen, using the Cornell note taking method that their high school taught.</p>

<p>it allows a student to self-test by covering one column.</p>

<p>I googled and found this as a very good example and explanation.</p>

<p>Thank you, M2CK. I googled it and this looks like a great note taking method and great study strategy. </p>

<p>I just finished my first year, and I was used to scarce note taking in high school. I quickly found that my laptop was the easiest way for me to take notes (I don’t have a tablet), but then I had a professor who didn’t allow any technology in his classroom. It’s really important that everyone is able to take notes the old fashioned way just in case they have to, but I certainly prefer to use my laptop and the OneNote program on Windows. Hope this helps!</p>

<p>lol…</p>

<p>here is the link i forgot to include</p>

<p><a href=“http://academic.cuesta.edu/acasupp/AS/619.htm”>http://academic.cuesta.edu/acasupp/AS/619.htm&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Thank you, M2CK! I really like this- I’m going to share it with my DS, as well. It is a great way to study.</p>

<p>@RandomJellyBeans You bring up a good point. Just in case there is no access to technology it is a good idea to have a pen and paper strategy down pat. My daughter’s old high school used Macbooks and it was good for taking notes. I don’t find that my daughter does very well with the tablet as far as notes go.</p>

<p>@mom2collegekids I forgot to mention- that is a great pic!</p>

<p>My S (rising Junior) never wrote anything down in HS. In college, he eventually saw the need to start taking notes for his engineering classes. He used his iPad and a stylus to take math and eng’g notes when needed using One Note. He then goes home and downloads these to his laptop computer for storage. His handwriting is fairly poor, so this method worked for him, esp when copying down complicated formulas and so forth. He could also draw diagrams. He always approached profs the very first day of class, and told them what he was doing (sitting in the front row helps), and so they would see he was not doodling or surfing. Yes, he has encountered a few profs who do not allow technology whatsoever, but he talked with them and always worked something out. Professors don’t want to be lecturing and glance up to see everyone buried in an iPhone or students using the time to check emails/surf. Good luck transitioning to college notetaking!</p>

<p>Thank you @aeromom‌ </p>

<p>D’s note-taking skills really need to improve before college. My experience was similar to your son’s in that my note-taking improved in my first two years of college after being nonexistent in high school. By sophomore year, my notes were so great that a football player at my school would often request to borrow my notebook on Sunday afternoons because he would often miss our Friday classes when he would travel to away games.</p>

<p>I did buy a stylus for her. She just didn’t seem to do much with it. </p>

<p>Does any use binders and loose leafs rather than notebooks? Is there any benefits to using a binder/loose leaf method vs. composition/spiral notebook? </p>

<p>There are lots of note taking methods and while good notes are important, many students are auditory learners. Therefore for these students, it can be more beneficial to just listen to the lecture while jotting down a few key points. Each student’s learning style can be different and it’s best for individuals to find out what works for themselves. </p>

<p>@honors2regular I think that it’s probably a matter of personal preference. You might choose to use a binder with loose leaf and have dividers with pockets to store handouts. My daughter does not like bulky stuff in her bookbag. My recommendation to her is to have a 5 subject notebook and one plastic folder that has multiple pockets (the one I speak of has 5 pockets inside- sold at Office Depot). The notebook is good for all subjects for each semester and handouts can be stored in the folder with pockets. </p>

<p>I don’t think there is much of a difference between just having one binder with dividers with pockets and having the separate 5-subject spiral notebook with the separate plastic folder for storage.</p>

<p>@robotbldmom I totally agree. Everything we are talking about here is just a matter of personal preference- and it is important for students to find what works for them. </p>

<p>Different methods of note taking work better for some people more than others. Noting that some instructors prohibit the use of electronics during class, students should use whichever note taking method they feel is the best for them. I typically used notebooks for each class or in cases of course lectures utilizing PowerPoint slides, I’d print off the slides in advance, printing 3 to a page so there was plenty of room to write additional notes if needed.</p>

<p>Thank you, @Sea_tide That is a good tip about the PowerPoint slides. It sounds like it is a good idea to develop a comfortable note-taking stategy with pencil and paper prior to arriving at Bama. That is one of the goals for senior year! My D just hasn’t really taken copious notes so far in high school. Things are going to be different in college so now is the time to experiment. </p>