TAMU 2022 parent questions and answers

We were just looking at the rush week schedule too! Noticed it started on the 18th which is earlier than when dorms open. I hadn’t thought about requesting early move in! Would definitely need to be on the 17th, since rush starts on the 18th. I assume that the Panhellenic supplies a list to residential life of those who register for rush?

Labegg - i’m guessing they do, but my understanding is that once the dorms are assigned that they can request early check-in. $40 a day. I am not very technical. If I can figure out how to PM u I would like to continue sharing rush information.

@labegg my daughter is laughing. I told her I was on Facebook (nope, college confidential) and I was trying to PM you (nope, direct message). Oh well.

Greek recruitment for sororities is during howdy week. It begins the evening the dorms open (if I remember correctly) with an informational meeting to explain the procedures for the next several days. They start the following morning & go to every house with their assigned group-- it is a two day “first day” since there are so many houses to go to. . It is highly recommended that they rush as an incoming freshman, some do rush as sophomores & juniors but very few opt to do that. There is lots of information available for recruitment including what to wear each day & explanations to include recommendations that are sent prior to rush. They will have very busy schedules but will get to know girls that are also in their recruitment group as they go through. There are a few howdy week opportunities that they can join in, it will depend on their schedules of houses to visit and times that events begin. They have bid day & join a sorority by the end of the week. They will have an immediate temporary ‘big sis’ that makes them feel welcome. My D moved into her dorm a day early to get settled before recruitment began ( you have to request this & pay a fee).

Howdy week is organized activities that you opt to go to as you so desire. They have a variety of activities to participate in so there is something for everyone ( yes, even things like voting for the best pizza was an ‘event’ one year - of course you got to taste test for free…that was popular!) Vast majority of students move in on the first day, there are some stragglers but not too many. Howdy week is for freshman, most upperclassmen do not go as participants but often run the activities. The fish camp counselors are all around that week as well and set up a meeting time for their group. It is time to get use to the campus - figure out where things are, try out some things and get yourself settled before your classes begin. It is optional, but very popular.

NSC is for officially enrolling - you get your classes for first semester, you find out about various rules/recommendation for everything TAMU - like what to do if you’re sick? what happens in an emergency? Overview of your major. You turn in your final grades from HS - if you haven’t done so. Get your ID card & your sports card (if applicable). Discover more about TAMU traditions. Get your class of tshirt and buy a parent tshirt :slight_smile: … and so the maroon explosion in your closet begins :wink: Everyone goes to NSC - it is mandatory. This is the only activity that parents attend of those you mentioned.

Fish Camp is all about getting to know other freshman in an activity based format & overnight camp situation. You also learn about the university while you’re there. They meet a few key upper classmen that they can lean on as needed and ask any questions they may have now or in the future. They are assigned a small group that will get together during howdy week and other times during freshman year. This was such a great transition program from high school to college that many schools have now copied it. It is an optional activity that you sign up for and is conducted off campus (they bus you to the camp).

A religious based alternative ( or in addition) to Fish Camp is Impact Camp - same concept, but with a religious base. It also has counselors & small group meet ups – it is significantly smaller than Fish Camp but many also enjoy it. This too is optional and available by sign up.

The groups you named are all non-greek sororities – membership is different and not as formal as greek sororities. Here’s the write ups – technically they are more like clubs. But they do have social get togethers.
https://stuactonline.tamu.edu/app/organization/profile/public/id/1390
https://stuactonline.tamu.edu/app/organization/profile/public/id/1631
https://stuactonline.tamu.edu/app/organization/profile/public/id/1577
https://stuactonline.tamu.edu/app/organization/profile/public/id/1663
https://stuactonline.tamu.edu/app/organization/profile/public/id/1551
https://stuactonline.tamu.edu/app/organization/profile/public/id/1139
https://stuactonline.tamu.edu/app/organization/profile/public/id/1555
You join these after several weeks at school ( there’s a club fair) or alternative times during the year depending on the group. Greeks only have formal recruitment once a year - some houses who are under quota may elect to have an informal recruitment after the formal recruitment but that isn’t a sure thing. Greek sororities have many more rules & regulations than non- Greek and are part of national sorority organizations. Greek sorority dues are generally more than non-greek.

@AGmomx2 wow, thank you! Very helpful!

@labegg Those you mentioned are women’s clubs and are highly competitive. Belles being the most competitive. It is normal to be rejected by many clubs first time out. Tell your daughter to go for as many things as possible to better her chances. For the most part, there are different application/selection dates so you can try out for many. These typically include application, interview, social rounds before final selection. Again, very competitive at TAMU. I know a girl that tried out for 12 things before finally being selected for Aggie Gems (which is also very competitive).

Greek Life is a blast if you find your true sisterhood and go with where you fell best! Lots of prep work though before Rush even gets here. Rec letters, photos, application, etc. Worth it though so don’t get discouraged!!!

Best of luck! She will find her way!

Does anyone know about the student sports pass? I’ve been looking and it seems like the incoming freshman need to wait until May 30th to buy their sports pass, is that correct? Also, in Howdy, it redirects them to the 12th Man Foundation to register. I’m sorry that this seems obvious, but is registering the same as purchasing? If we buy a 12th Man pass for our son (which includes all home games), does that guarantee that he gets a ticket to the home games? I’m confused because it says something about “pull tickets”. I really don’t understand it…

@trish02 Good question! I’m also confused about the sports pass.

Sports passes are basically a reduced rate price for all home games, all sports (if you select that one). It entitles you to a ticket in the student section. Ticket pull is what determines your exact seat for that particular game (it is done for each game). Ticket pull priority is based on your group majority so, 3 seniors, 2 freshman = senior pull day (which is the first day). 4 seniors & 5 freshman = freshman pull day (the last day). Sports passes are transferable to others - so if you aren’t going to attend you may give your pass to someone else to use. You do not have to be a student to use a sports pass, but if an ID card is not presented with a student ticket you have to pay to get a guest pass sticker for that ticket. Then the ticket holder will be admitted into the stadium & be able to use the student ticket for the assigned seat on the face of the ticket in the student section. This way friends & family can sit (well actually stand) with the student if they so choose. They are tough to come by for big games, but you can try.

Student section for football games is one side of the stadium (all three levels)-- with a small section on the lowest level for season ticket holders. A large section of the lowest level is for the corps (including the band since they are all cadets too) & some general student space on the lower level too. If you opt to be a guest in the student section be advised that students stand for the entire game & only sit at halftime however they do stand for the band performance during halftime. If you do one thing as a parent, make sure you attend a football game – it is an amazing experience - consistently voted one of the best atmospheres in college football.

There are some sports passes sold that are only for certain football games (designated in advance by school names) that are lower in price–those are sold due to capacity being reached ,so that you have an opportunity to still see some games (vs. selling out every student seat at the full sports pass level & some kids not being able to buy a pass). This helps to give an opportunity to those who want a pass, however in many years those too have sold out. There is not a seat for every student in the stadiums, however they do their best to make game day something that all can attend with all the various options for sports passes & the ability to transfer to others. We looked at some schools where you are blessed if you actually get a ticket to a game – that is not the case here.

@Agmomx2 you nailed it. Great explanation! And yes, Freshmen cannot order sports pass until May 30th (or whatever is listed) AND you are not guaranteed that you will get the full sports pass. They sell out, so do not wait to purchase. Once you have the all sports pass, you are good to go and guaranteed a seat but which seat is determined week of game (as Agmomx2 explained).

@AGmomx2 @AggieMomhelp Thank you for the great explanation!! That helps so much.

Does anyone have advice for Mosher Hall bedding? The size of the mattress is in between a twin and a twinXL, so I’m assuming we will need twinXL sheets and mattress pad. Are there any brands that fit better than others (have less extra material?).
Thanks for any advice!

@chercheur most get the Twin XL. And no thoughts on brands. Target gets the job done though. MOsher will have tile floors so a rug is highly recommended! Rooms are small and square, but good closet space!

Thanks @AggieMomhelp !

I would also recommend getting a foam mattress topper as this will make the bed much more comfortable.

Can a student purchase/register for more than one pass? Does one pass = the ability to pull 1 ticket? Example if DD student wants to have her out of town BF attend a games would she have to borrow another students pass to get him a ticket?

Thanks @rosegeo - I’ll be shopping for a nice, thick one!

Another thing to consider when buying bedding, if your student plans to move off campus after freshman year, which most do, they will probably only use this bedding for one school year. Most furnished apartments have double beds not xl twin. We will be buying all new bedding for next year.

That’s a good point. Where is the best area to shop in College Station? Since we are out-of-state, we will probably take just the bare necessities and buy what we need there. I saw a Bed, Bath, and Beyond just east of campus. Is that a good area? On Google maps it looks like there is a Kohl’s and Target there also.

We did most of ours from Bed Bath and Beyond. You can order it ahead of time and it will be ready for pick up once you get there. We also got stuff from target once we were there. The stores are crazy busy during dorm move in but they have a pretty good system going to move people through at a reasonable speed. I don’t remember seeing a Kohl’s.