TAMU 2022 parent questions and answers

Okay, thanks for the advice.

@YourCollegeMom Can my son pick up the sealed letter and we send it over night to the admission office?

@LilyWu We just uploaded my son’s through AIS. There’s a place for upload documents. Then you just list what it is. They don’t have to be sealed and mailed in. This is the fastest way. It showed accepted within 2 days of uploading it. Best route!

@YourCollegeMom I also checked with the Admission office and I am told that as long as the letters are sent prior to the 12/8/17 deadline, it is still considered as early application.

My son has his NSC scheduled and I booked a room at the George. From my understanding, it is the closest hotel near the school and it is just across the street. We’ve only visited A&M three times and, for the life of me, I can’t remember where exactly it is. Anyway, I’m trying to figure out if I should buy the parking pass for the NSC or if it is closer to walk from the George. Anyone know?

I was also wondering if anyone has information/experience with financial aid and scholarships? We filled out the FASFA and it was what we thought - huge EFC. For merit based scholarships, do they look at the EFC? I was under the understanding that it needed to be filed out to be considered for scholarships at TAMU.

Thanks!

The George is near the polo fields (bonfire memorial area) the grass area near Texas & University. Can you walk? yes - but it will take you maybe 25-30 min. at a decent pace to get to Rudder Tower ( near the stadium). Parking wise, most people park in the lots near Kyle Field (football stadium) about a 5 min. walk to Rudder Tower (next to the Memorial student center -MSC). You will also be walking at night after the first session day. The science buildings are nearest to that hotel, just across the street and to the right. You will have whole NSC meetings & meeting within your student’s major. Parking rules are enforced here - all year round - so do NOT forego the parking pass, you will get a ticket. Also the businesses & restaurants near the hotel also tow if you park in their lots & leave to go to the campus.

Thanks @AGmomx2 - I’ll get a parking pass!

Agree. Parking pass for sure. And you will love the George. It’s outstanding! Great little restaurants in easy walking distance… Hopdoddy, blaze pizza. Zoe’s kitchen, Piada (Italian street food) and a cookie place. No telling what else will be open by NSC!!!

Just FYI Embassy suites just opened up as well same area. There are actually about 5 hotels on the same corner. All pretty new. Embassy and the George are the newest.

Will my application only be considered for early action if my apply texas gets processed by October 15?

Yes, for Engineering, everything, and I mean everything has to be into TAMU on Oct. 15th. But what do you mean processed? If you haven’t completed Apply Texas yet, you need to do it today. Then you’ll get your UIN and can upload supporting documents through your AIS (Applicant Information System).

Was this your question? IF not, try me again. lol

We’re applying from OOS and are trying to send in my D’s transcript and school profile. Per the TAMU admissions site, our options are AIS or mail submission, and they do not accept transcripts sent by Parchment.

Can I submit a scanned copy of her transcript through AIS? I understand an official copy will need to be sent later.

Thanks.

@kcheves You can try uploading it on AIS, but they will need an official copy sooner than later. How quickly will your school send the transcript and profile?

Okay, clarification @kcheves If the transcript you have is official (has school stamp and signature) then you can upload it into AIS and it works for the application process. Also, as you mentioned, upload the school profile as well. Within a couple of days, AIS will show a green check list next to it.

Thanks @YourCollegeMom

My D beat the deadline for EA (it was close!) and now is trying to upload LOR’s. Her teacher is having a problem uploading through AIS, so I called TAMU and they said that my D should upload the letters herself. Unfortunately, my D is not allowed to see her letters (school policy), so this is not an option. We’re probably going to have the letters sent by mail, but I was curious if others have had this problem?

Thanks.

@kcheves Can they fax it? Is that allowed?

@YourCollegeMom TAMU admin site says AIS or mail, so we’ll just mail it. Not a big deal, we have until 12/1 to get everything in. Thanks.

Son was just accepted today!! Waiting on Engineering major

Yes, I have also not been able to find an easy way to upload LOR to AIS and have left a message for a university counselor as our high school policy is the same. Letters are confidential and not to be shared with students. Most schools have a system like Naviance where teachers can electronically submit after the student waives their FERPA right (common app) I believe good old fashioned mail or possibly faxing is the only option with A&M

@momadvisor69 so frustrating about uploading. My son does not that have that issue with his school but I know mailing is the best way. I will check tomorrow to see if they accept faxes. Or do you already have intel on that? Would be great if that would work!