TAMU 2022 parent questions and answers

@GManmom123: For the regular Blinn-TEAM 2017, the NSC that my daughter attended included an info session on the second day, (just before course selection) that had an adviser from TAMU as well as Blinn. They covered general info for all of the majors and then they had breakout sessions for the specific majors (or in our case, colleges such as Liberal Arts).

I would expect that TEAB Engineering Blinn at Bryan campus would also have such an info session specific for the engineering students and that all of the scheduling of classes (for Fall 2018) on both campuses would be held on the second day. And someone else mentioned that all of the NSC that you can sign up for from the students account cover their specific offer.

Take a copy of his HS transcript AND if he has any Dual Credits, take a copy of the Community College Transcript with the college course numbers you so that there isn’t any questions about what he already has credit for. Students have to accept Dual Credit but they don’t have to accept AP credit, and they have several years (I think) in order to accept AP credit, while DC will need to be factored in for any pre-requisites. Print out at take a copy of the course requirements for whatever degree your student plans to pursue.

Contact the advisers at TAMU and Blinn by email for any specific questions, prior to the NSC if possible, as they are swamped during the NSC. They are pretty good about answering emails in a timely fashion!

For the following Spring semester and beyond, the students have to register for classes separately for each campus. But the advisors can still answer questions by email or a scheduled appointment.

Thanks so much for answering my questions. I apologize if these have been asked before. We signed up for housing at A&M, but looking further into it we noticed that Blinn is almost an hour away. I know he will probably need to schedule all his Blinn classes on a T, Th (or M,W,F), but is dorm location important? Is there an area where kids meet to take the bus to Blinn? Worried about the logistics.

@GManmom : You are confusing Blinn in Bryan (campus is less than 15 minutes from TAMU campus) with Blinn in Brenham, TX.

Bryan, TX and College Station, TX are smack up against each other, I can’t tell where one ends and the other starts. :slight_smile: The buses between campuses run several times each hour and it take about 15 minutes unless it is “rush hour” around 8 am or 5 pm.

If your son was offered TEAB Blinn engineering with classes on both TAMU campus and Blinn campus, those classes will be on the Blinn Bryan campus.

I am sure that @Thelma2 more info on the various Engineering options. My daughters were not/are not in Engineering.

Engineering at Blinn Brenham is a different program. Brenham is quite a ways from CStat.

@AggieMomAgain Thank you so much! I gave myself a scare. It also teaches to me to double check the info sent to me by my husband! :slight_smile:

@GManmom123 : It is an easy mistake!

Another bit of info: The buses to and from Blinn Bryan and TAMU make several stops near various other housing options so the students do not HAVE to live on or near TAMU campus.

But we wanted our daughter to be able to participate in everything Aggie as much as possible. She did not want to be in a dorm, she is a picky eater and wanted a full kitchen so she has an apartment on the North side. She catches the bus to Blinn Bryan on the TAMU campus. And she often meets friends for dinner on the TAMU campus when she returns.

There isn’t much to do on the Blinn-Bryan campus so she packs a lunch and finds a place to study between classes on the days that she goes to Blinn.

@GManmom123 I am not sure exactly which courses you take at each campus, as I have not really explored the TEAB curriculum. I have seen mentioned that students will align their schedules to perhaps take the courses at A&M on MWF and Blinn T/TH. With Blinn Team, I think they only take a max 5 hours at A&M, is that correct @AggieMomAgain? Many kids will take a 3/4 hour class and then a 1 hour class, so that if they have to drop the 3/4 hour class, for whatever reason, they are technically still enrolled at A&M and not in violation of the co-enrollment. The 1 hr class is referred to as a spare tire.

Since all of the links to TEAB are not working right now, I would call them and find out how to set up the NSC. @AggieMomAgain is correct. Bryan is essentially part of College Station. Bryan is practically a couple of blocks north of University Dr. A lot of students live off campus there (there are bus routes for a lot of neighborhoods) because it is so close to campus to walk/bike and all the engr buildings are right there on University or super close for upper level classes.

@GManmom123 You don’t have to go to Blinn for the NSC . Everything is done at Tamu.
The classes for TEAB are in tracks. So you don’t really get to choose individual classes for Engr Math and Chem. Like my daughter was in track 10 which had Blinn on Mondays and Wednesdays and engr at Tamu on Tuesdays and Thurs. she could schedule her Core classes as per her choice. This semester also the classes are in tracks. At the NSC There was only one track left so she had no choice but she was able to choose a different one later on (august beginning) after talking to Ashley the advisor at Blinn. Ashley seemed to have a better grip on the TEAB matters than the advisors at TAMU. The Blinn campus at Bryan will be 15-20 mins by bus from A&m generally but sometimes due to traffic it may take 30 mins. It is Bus no 12.

My daughter is planning to room with a friend. I think I remember reading that the room pick is based on the date that the first roommate put in their housing application, but I wanted to double check. Is that correct?

@motherlode this past year, yes, the person who has the earlier time slot can pull their rooomie into the room with them. I’m going to assume they do it again this year, but who knows, lol. I can also say it’s not necessarily based on when you apply for housing. As long as you do it within 30 days of receiving acceptance, you could have a date and time similar to the person who was an auto admit. It seemed kind of random last year. I wasn’t much help, but that’s the info I currently have!

We signed up within the 30 day window. Will they contact us through email to notify us about what dorm we are getting and the roommate? How does that work?

We attended Aggieland Saturday and really focused on dorms. The Res Life folks (who are in charge of the dorms) explained that you will receive an email of a date and time to sign in to the housing portal and then you will be able to choose your dorm/room/roommate. They also stated that if you want to live with someone and both parties agree, you can be linked in their system and whoever has the earlier time slot can basically sign both roommates up.

Anyone signed up for the Honors Family Weekend Brunch? I’m wondering about parking and where the best place to find parking. It is located at Interdisciplinary Life Sciences Building Lawn and it looks like the Cain garage might be the best place to park. Does anyone know? Also, is parking for Family Weekend crazy? The event starts at 9:00 am; will there still be parking available then? Thanks in advance!

I cannot Attest to Parkig availability but there is also another garage by Cain across from Rudder tower. Parking is bad regardless so I can just assume it will be a crazy time. You could always uber in from hotel!

Thanks @AggieMomhelp

My son was accepted to the Engineering Blinn Team earlier this month. Will he get the Aggie banner that is sent through the mail? Will there be a letter of acceptance sent through the mail, too?

His Aggie banner should arrive in the mail. I don’t recall the letter mailed, I would assume it is. But, you can also find it on the AIS portal.
On your AIS, at the top, it says My App Status, My Bio Info, My Test Scores, My Communications, Contact Us.
Click on My Communications
Click My Letters
You should have a letter there with your decision…

@GManmom123 Congrats! His acceptance letter and banner come together in a big, maroon A&M packet. Very exciting!! My son received his about 2-3 weeks after getting his notification on AIS. Your son should be getting his soon. Don’t forget to sign up for his NSC asap and look for the fish camp sign ups in May.

@trish02 Sorry, I meant early February! We have signed up for NSC and filled out the info for dorms. I’ll keep a look out for Fish Camp. Thanks!

@Thelma2 He did receive an email congratulating him, but I was hoping to get the banner and actual letter. It means a lot to him (and his Dad and I). I’m sure things are crazy busy at A&M right now. I’ll give it a couple more weeks. Thanks for the quick reply!

@GManmom123 The official letter is available also in AIS. The exact same one will come in the packet.
On your AIS, at the top, it says My App Status, My Bio Info, My Test Scores, My Communications, Contact Us.
Click on My Communications
Click My Letters

Wish I had seen this site earlier! Anyway, my daughter has decided to go to TAMU, I was looking for the NSC information and found so many valuable suggestions here. Thanks for everyone who made the post. We will attend the 8/21-22 session and stay at George during the event. My question is whether there is any disadvantage that we go for the last available NSC slot, such as the course choice?