TAMU 2023 Aggie Parent/Student (all majors) questions and answers

@pbleigh , sorry for being ignorant but what is ETAM? Also, from the conversation with TAMU advising, he said AP credits for a high school class may or may not count. College credits count because you can’t have two of the same class on your transcript. He was specific about her bringing a copy of her transcript to NSC. Of course, I don’t believe everything until the ink is dry!

ETAM is Entry to a Major.

As long as a student gets the required score per the TAMU AP chart and the class is required for their degree, I don’t see why a student wouldn’t get credit. If the student decides to retake the class at TAMU (like MATH 151 even though they got a 5 on AP exam) then yes, they can’t get credit for both the AP class and the TAMU class. Is that what the advisor was saying?

https://testing.tamu.edu/TestingServices/media/Media/PDFs/AP.pdf

Edit: I just noticed your question was directed at @pbleigh. Sorry for butting in pbleigh!

@chercheur , Thanks for the ETAM clarification! I didn’t ask about AP credits since it doesn’t apply for us. What you said makes sense to me though!

In order to go through the Apply To A Major Process, two math classes MUST be taken at A&M College Station as well as two science as well as the 2 engineering.

While A&M will accept the credit, they may not let it apply to her major and thus be credited as elective courses.

I concur with @pbleigh in talking to an engineering advisor. The engineering major may not let these community college math classes be used to satisfy the requirement to Apply To A Major. Community College calculus is not as rigorous as the university calculus. Those who are in the engineering academies co enrolled at Community colleges, the math classes are taught by A&M professors not community college profs.

Just to clarify, my comment about AP credit above was a general comment and not meant to be associated with the ETAM process. I should have explained that better 8-|

I appreciate the heads up which confirms all I’ve heard about how picky the Engineering department is about accepting credits! :slight_smile: The bottom line for our family is that our daughter does not go for 6 months without taking a math class, regardless of whether she will get credit for the class or not. So she will take Calculus 3 at the community college and we’ll see how the cookie crumbles next summer. We are not worried one way or the other. She loves math so we just want to keep her going and not stall her last semester in high school.

@pbleigh Thank-you so much for sharing your son’s experience!

Never mind - mistake

I am so confused by all this. For transfers, some majors have REQUIRED completed coursework PRIOR to applying to TAMU - what I am reading above is that so long as they take the classes at an “approved” community college, it will transfer as credit for the required course. However, will they be required to take additional math classes to satisfy TAMU? Specifically asking for Biochem’s requirements of engineering calc 1 & 2. Daughter got AP credit for Calc AB (scored a 5) and took Calc 2 at community college this past summer (got an A). Is this not enough? She says that the audit shows they transferred…

@TXRunningMom sorry, ETAM stands for Entry To A Major, and every engineering student has to go through it to change from General Engineering to a specific major. Majors generally will not let students take any major specific courses until you are actually in the major. My son had a lot of AP credit he accepted his freshman year and struggled to fill his schedule because of this. As for the math, if your daughter is strong in math and feels very comfortable with the material then despite the advisors suggesting she retake Math 151 and/or Math 152 the decision to do so is up to her, but keep in mind that if she is going engineering she will then be taking Math 251 and likely Math 308 her freshman year. My son did well in both courses but they are a good bit of work and he felt 308 was challenging.

Were you speaking with a General Engineering Advisor? If not, you can make an appointment to do so before your NSC, and based on the major your daughter is shooting for they can tell you what they recommend and what classes will count for courses on that degree plan.

@JaceyK sounds like your daughter is entering the Biochem Major? ETAM is specifically for the engineering school and would not apply in your daughter’s case. Each major sets their own requirements so I would verify with a school of science Biochemistry advisor however.

@JaceyK the above scenario did not involve a transfer student, such as your daughter, but a still in high school student taking courses at a community college that are not Dual Credit and how those credits would be viewed by engineering at university as well as what engineering requires in applying to a major after their first year in general engineering.

@TXRunningMom I think that is awesome that she is taking these math classes. And you’re perspective is spot on. Sounds like a great kid and will do well wherever and however it all ends up.

Good morning! As I understand it, it is beneficial for a student to sign up for an earlier NSC. If a student is certain they are going to be in the Corps, is there any benefit to signing up for housing early? Is it alright to wait until March? Thanks!

@range375 it wouldn’t hurt to sign up now. Even if certain going in corps you won’t lose anything. $75 deposit. And what if they change their mind? He’ll be covered!!! Win win

My daughter took POLS 207 over the summer prior to senior year in high school. Counselor at her school said as long as it taken while they are still a high school student, it doesn’t count against them for their “in college” hours. Those are after high school graduation. Same language on calculating the tuition penalty for excessive hours.

@docloraine is there a question, lol… I’m not sure if you are asking something or stating something. That’s great she already took Pols 207. My son only did 206 as DC but he loves gov. so he can’t wait til next semester to take it! And if you are asking a question above… the answer is yes, you are correct. Any credits taken before hs graduation does not count towards excess hours.

Ha ha! oh my, I posted wrong. Was replying to someone who asked a question on it! Will try to delete and answer the question!

@Docloraine I understood where you were going with the dual credit comment. You are correct in that courses taken dual credit in High School will not affect a student who is trying to request a change of major. A freshman student with 60 dual credit hours has the same ability to change majors as a student with no dual credit hours. For a 1st or 2nd year student it is usually credit hours taken in residence that count. If a transfer to a certain major has a maximum of 60 or 90 college credit hours to transfer this does not include dual credit in high school hours. It usually just needs a simple override to access the change of major application. Hope this makes sense

Oooh I’ve never heard that @Range375 I think she was talking about excess hours for higher tuition. Hours are hours for change of majors. I’ll ask an advisor tomorrow but I’ve always heard there are max hours for change of major for certain majors, and that would include all hours accepted onto transcript including dual and accepted ap credit.

I did see that within the first semester, as a freshman, there is some leeway on max hours calculation for change of major