TAMU- 2024 After you've been accepted... questions and answers

Howdy Future Ags & Ag Parents. I wanted to start a new thread for after the acceptance and what to expect or questions about the process, etc. This will free up the Class of 2024 page so those still waiting can ask other questions. Ask away, give advice and hang on tight. It’s going to be a busy 7 or 8 months before NSC dates, Housing, travel, sports passes, parking passes, Fish Camp, Impact, etc. etc. etc. So much to learn.

I have a question about Phase 2 for housing that starts on Thursday. Where exactly do we go for this? It is in the housing portal I assume, but I don’t see a link?

Yes, it’s a continuation of the housing app. In years past, we did it all at once up until roommate matching. So the menu up too should open on your time slot and allow you to move through the process.

If anyone has current info after doing this, please let us know. This is all new this year for phase 2

Phase 2 is not a time required allotment correct? As in we can go in at anytime to fill out the Phase 2 after tomorrow and it will not effect dorm chances? Also, this is way ahead but when does Fish camp registration open?

Correct, time stamp is based on completion of Phase 1 only. And fish camp opens in the spring (around April I think).

Does my DD need to accept her admission before moving on to phase 2? She is still trying to decide where she would like to go. Do you recommend accepting and registering for NSC even though there is a chance she might decline on May 1st?

You don’t need to accept or do anything until you decide for sure or have a good idea she will attend tamu. NSC dates can get scarce starting in January when many holistic review students are accepted. By registering for NSC, you’re basically saying, “yes, I accept” but you are not legally bound. Phase 2 is irrelevant for time stamping for priority selection time. So no rush on that.

Is Phase 2 where they put their interests for the roommate finder? My son told me to do it when it opens since he will be at school but I don’t want to have to write details that might be used to match him with a roommate. Does anyone know what Phase 2 will consist of? His opens tomorrow.

He should do it when he gets home. There’s no rush.

anyone have the link to Phase 2? I can’t find it on Howdy.

TIA.

It should’t be a link per se. Go to housing portal on Howdy and continue housing application. They next screens should open up if your time slot is open.

Hi! My son just registered for NSC and completed housing phase 1, so exciting! I wanted to find out my info regarding FISH camp, is there a place where I could read about it? Thanks!

@DadWithQuestions dates haven’t been released yet. I think they come out in spring. You can google fish camp tamu. They have some info there!

Great! Found the site. Thanks!

My son has been admitted, but still waiting on acceptance into the engineering program. It still says “Engineering review”.

Since he was admitted in mid-September, he has improved his scores on the ACT & SAT (tests taken in mid Sept and early Oct). He requested that the scores be sent directly to A&M when he signed up for the tests. Is there anything else he needs to do to make sure the engineering department has his improved scores?

@CoastalMom88 no, but I would check his updated scores are received on howdy/ais.

The engineering dept doesn’t review for admissions. It’s all done in admissions. I thought the same thing but was corrected last year by a person in each dept.

We could use some insight on the experience of girls in engineering: dorm life, LLC advantages/disadvantages - especially engineering, OOS challenges in adjusting to campus life, etc. She toured but in the Summer so there weren’t many people on campus to get that “feel.” Loves the new engineering complex but we didn’t get a chance to see the dorms or inside any buildings, really, except engineering. Not a huge sports fan but follows SEC football because mom, dad, and brother are big fans. Might be interested in Greek life, will definitely want to participate in some sort of major-related EC and probably something service-oriented. Great kid but sometimes has trouble finding “her people” socially. She has talked to a current student and an alum but doesn’t really know anyone there so she will somewhat be starting from scratch. Because of a scholarship program she is competing in as a finalist, she may have to make a decision about her willingness to commit to A & M if she gets into engineering (like an ED app) as early as next week. Any and all advice welcome! Thanks!

Thanks for creating the thread. My son’s file was completed a few days ago. He applied to ME. I’m wondering if his numbers are competitive: 1400/3.7/4.3 with good amount of extracurricular activities.
Thanks.

Do you mind if I ask about his old SAT? My son’s file was completed a few days ago and it went into Engineering Review.

@brambler let me think on this and get back to you on Monday. In the meantime, just know shes going to find her peeps.

Can I get some advice for on campus housing for OOS Engineering boy, outgoing, but still in need of guidance and a motivated, nice community. Phase 2 for him is Nov. 12th and don’t know what to chose. LLC Engineering? Is there Honors Engineering housing? What would be the best option for OOS freshman boy?