TAMU- 2024 After you've been accepted... questions and answers

This semester?

@Sallye When you go to SNWC you will receive a packet of information regarding estimated fees, etc. and other helpful information. Those in the Corps have some additional expenses, including mandatory purchase of sports pass unless in the band, uniform purchase/rental fee and also drycleaning costs off the top of my head.

Regarding NMSC, according to TAMU Scholarships page:
“National Merit scholars (semifinalists and finalists) admitted for fall will also compete for other freshman scholarship opportunities which are offered in early February of the student’s high school senior year.”

Does anyone know what “other freshman scholarship opportunities” they are? Thanks.

Fall 2020

Are the White Creek apts on campus really on campus or are they removed from the main campus? Would White Creek be full already? My DS will be a Team-Blinn student in the fall. I am curious about the distance from White Creek to the bus stop for Blinn.

White creek is on west campus. There is a great white creek community Center for the students to eat, shop (convenience store), study, computer lab etc. it’s like a mini MSC. They have their own parking lot as well. The bus stop is right outside (I think there are 2 places to hop on). Check the bus routes online but I’m pretty sure the bus that goes to blinn Bryan (not rellis campus) is picked up by the. Msc on main campus. It’s very easy to get around here. There’s a bus app that shows real time location and capacity.

And no one has selected a room yet so it’s open. My son lived there his freshman year and he selected on the 4th day of housing picks. So… I’m pretty sure it’s not filling up too quickly. But it is great. My son lived with 3 guys. 4 bedroom and 2 bathrooms.

Thank you for the helpful information. I’m glad to know there are other freshman there. I just didn’t want it to be mainly full of advanced degree students. I want DS to really feel and be a part of a true freshman experience. From the way it sounds, there are plenty of freshman living in the White Creek apts.

Why do you recommend this? Son is in and will do Corps if he goes to A&M, but he’s waiting on service academy. Just wondering what the importance/advantage is in doing the housing stuff now for Corps.

I’m pretty sure this is the Brown Scholarship.

@aggiemomhelp - Well you send me your intel also?

@bctnln1059. Brown started in December, but the scholarships mentioned is “in early February”?

Will do @Colhopeful728

@franknd You can wait. Won’t matter with the corps dorm.

I know, and I believe all offers have now been made, but I’m still pretty sure the Brown is what they are referring to, maybe because saying “early February” allows the maximum possible time for the offers to be completed. I’m just not aware of other scholarships specifically related to National Merit. But I would be happy to be wrong!

What day does dorm selection open up?

@texasmtdad The last few years we have seen end of April or early May. Students will get an exact date and time to log in and frantically search.

@Colhopeful728 The intel I sent was on econ to Mays… your daughter is engineering right? Probably not the intel you wanted or need, but I sent it. lol

Why do students have to select which dorms they want in Phase 2 of housing if you don’t pick until April or May on the exact date?

I thought it was intel on housing. smiley:

Thank you. It did help me in helping my daughter a bit and how she will need to manage time in case she choose not to do the Texas AM Academy and want to transfer in to TAMU later. She is more than likely taking the academy, but she wanted to wait on some OOS schools decision and we wanted to see what type of Financial Package TAMU, and the other schools that she is already accepted in will give her.
TAMU is her #1 right now.

Thank you so much for all of your help and patience in answering questions. This is all so new especially for TAMU since we have no family that went to TAMU before and most of my daughter older friends didn’t go to TAMU either for her to ask questions.

Do parents normally go to the NSC’s with the kids or can we just drop them off and go home?

Yes, most parents go to NSC. IT’s a lot of information and you both need to hear it if possible (meaning one parent and the student). It’s a long day but the 2nd day is mainly for the students to select schedule and they meet with their advisors in a group setting. I say the whole thing is a good bonding experience. So yes, come!!!