TAMU- 2024 After you've been accepted... questions and answers

Are there any need based grants or scholarship in financial aid portal? I currently see $3000 Presidents Endowed Scholarship in account, as NMSF, but I can’t see the expected FAFSA Pell Grant about $3000. I wonder if I am looking at the wrong place. It is like we are in a dark place knowing nothing, just have to wait for another two or more months.

In Phase II of the Housing Application, what is the “Roommate Selection Opt-In”? It comes right after the “Lifestyle Questions”. I thought the student filled out the Lifestyle Questions, and then somehow had a chance to match up to a roommate early in Spring.

@2020Outlook
Roommate Selection Opt-In would enable other students to search the student’s profile in Roommate Finder and link up as roommates. Not everyone may want to participate in Roommate Finder, so have the option of opting out.

Thank you. So, if he is filling out the Lifestyle Questions, and trying to find a compatible roommate, he would want to Opt-In? That is what you are saying?

@2020Outlook
Yes, he should Opt-In if wanting to find a roommate

Hi. I just found out I got into engineering a few days ago. I haven’t started on my scholarships app but I’m wondering how long I should make the individual questions they ask such as “Why major in computer science?” “Why TAMU?” etc

I just joined the Facebook page “Texas A&M Class of 2024 - Parents Only.” Come join!! (search, and then answer a couple questions for Admins to approve request to join).

This is an Aggie Mom question…

I am in an area that does not have an Aggie Moms club. I have sent the interest form, but haven’t gotten any information yet about “being adopted.” I have a friend who said she is pretty sure that “adopted aggies” can’t participate in the Scholarship applications within the club or anything like that. What is the advantage of joining a club as an Adopted mom if students aren’t really thought of as full members? Has anyone been adopted? What was your experience?

Does anyone know if it is important to complete Phase II of housing at the exact time it opens? I believe Phase I got my son is place, “in line”. Phase II opens one day this week precisely at 4:27 PM. He isn’t available until late in the evening that day. I didn’t think Phase II mattered so much, but that time is so precise, I’m not sure?

@2020Outlook
It’s not important to immediately complete Phase 2 when it opens. In fact, I’m not really sure why they assign specific opening time-slots… maybe just to stagger people making updates in the system? Anyway, the entries just need to be done sometime before Phase 3 / March when Roommate Finder opens.

Thank you very much! Seems strange to have it down to the minute, but I didn’t think it mattered.

Correct. Only phase 1 matters for time slot to select room.

Questions regarding NSC… My son has been accepted to Engineering which he is ecstatic about! But have been waiting on doing a formal acceptance because we are hoping for some scholarship money which is an important determining factor for us. I am worried if he doesn’t sign up for his NSC now his options may be substantially limited by the time he has any firm information regarding scholarship. By signing up for NSC, is it binding? And is there a deposit? If so, is it refundable? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Signing up for NSC commits you to the cost of NSC, but you can always cancel, but you wont get a refund. NSC is seen as acceptance to TAMU, but it is not binding. Are you OOS? Are you NMF? What are you hoping to end up paying?

Thank you @Sybylla. DS is an in-state/auto-admit. He is a commended national merit, not finalist. We are just hoping for anything and will need to compare to other schools total costs to attend.

So you need it to cost the almost nothing it would cost you at say UTD, TT, maybe UH, Alabama etc?

I’m not understanding your question and why you are asking it actually. Costs are very personal and we are just evaluating all options.

My daughter got an email last week that she was admitted. Unfortunately not into her 1st choice. Apparently her 1st choice had already filled up. We are OOS and were not aware that applying early was that crucial. She did not apply until Nov. 3rd was admitted within a few days. If she requests to change her major, will that take it back to not admitted? And excuse my ignorance, what are we supposed to do next? Should we do something about housing before she accepts the admission? She has no idea if she wants to go and start in a different major.

What is her first choice? IMO there is zero point in pursuing any OOS school that flat out won’t admit you to the major. It looks like you already have USC? I wouldn’t look back.

Her first choice was Viz in the school of Architecture (did not choose a 2nd choice in Arch however). Her 2nd choice was Journalism, same major she did get admitted to at USC. My hubby is an A&M Alumni and my kid lived in College Station until right before High School, so there is a a certain nostalgia related to A&M. She would only go to A&M if she got money to waive OOS and had a chance to transfer into Viz. USC is the better school for Journalism IMO.