TAMU- 2024 After you've been accepted... questions and answers

@kmacrna My son was a freshman honors engineering student in fall of 2017 so things may have changed since then, but at that time you could expect acceptances into honors engineering around 3 weeks after you were admitted into engineering.

@TexasMTDad You are correct any honors student can take any honors section of any course. Any student over a 3.5 GPA can also take honors sections of courses. Besides the requirement to maintain a 3.5 GPA to stay in honors, University Honors has way more requirements then Engineering Honors. So if your daughter is maintaining University Honors status she might as well be getting Engineering Honors credit as well because she will have met the requirements.

@kmacrna
I don’t remember when my son applied for the engineering honors program but I looked back at my email to see that he was accepted into that honors program 1/4/2019. He was accepted into engineering in general mid October of last year but I am not sure whether he applied for engineering honors as soon as he could or if he procrastinated a bit.

Thanks!

Hello, I have been accepted to TAMU and have done phase 1 of housing. I know I want to be in Hullabaloo (1st choice) or a Modular style (second choice). It says I can only access phase 2 on December 17th. Why is this so? is it a first come first serve residence hall pick? Will Hullabaloo still be available by then? I have a roommate. Please help. Thank You.

@banjoboy123 you won’t get to select housing til end of spring. Phase 2 is just for preferences. It means nothing. Hullabaloo in the past few years has gone (been filled) within 10 minutes of opening. Modular are next to go. It’ll all work out regardless, but be prepared for 2nd and 3rd choices unless you are first to select.

@AggieMomhelp does everyone go in and pick at the same time? or how is it determined who gets to select and when. I applied pretty late (October 31) and was accepted nov 4 however I only applied for housing today…does that affect when I will be able to go in and pick which hall I want?

Everyone will get a time and it’s based on the time stamp of when you completed phase 1. With that said, you’ll be ahead of a lot of students but behind a lot of auto and academic admit students who took care of it in September and October. I promise you It all works out. You’ll enjoy whatever dorm experience you get. It’s only one year and since you have your roomie picked already, that’s even better.

From what I read, Engineering Honors offers scholarships which University Honors does not. But University Honors seems to have better dorms to me.

As the Brown scholarship goes, this is the information we received from them: “Out of those 50,000 students and applications to A&M, only 80 applications are selected by the Craig and Galen Brown Foundation to interview with the Directors, and of those 80 students, approximately 50 students are awarded Brown Foundation Scholarships.” The interview will begin in December.

@ATTX , I’m just curious-how did you get your information on the Brown scholarship? Did you email with admissions? Last year, I thought I remembered 100 applications were sent to Mr. Brown. Just wondering if they have dropped that number this year.

That information was from the email my son received 2 Thursdays ago from Brown Scholarship inviting him for the interview in December.

Does anyone know if engineering department requires students to have certain types of computer/laptop? Are they OS specific? Thanks.

@ATTX , congratulations to your son! Is the interview in Houston this year? My daughter is a Brown scholar and is loving TAMU. Please let me know if you have any questions I might could help with!

@ATTX, congratulations to your son! Are you from Houston area? All the best to your son for interview! Please let us know how did it go?

@TXRunningMom, thank you and yes, the interview is in Houston this year. We do have a question – I’m assuming he should wear the “complete” suit (jacket, tie, the whole 9 yard …) for the interview. Do you happen to know if that is the case?

@val0822, thank you. We live in DFW area, and have been in Houston just a handful times (usually just a stop on the way to and from Galveston).

@ATTX , Yes, I would plan on a full suit jacket with tie. I think most all the boys were wearing jackets if I remember correctly. The girls wore a range of business suits to dresses. Did your son apply for the Brockman? If he did and gets invited to those interviews, he will need a suit too for those interviews. Best of luck and keep us posted!

@icedmachiato , if you google TAMU Bring Your Own Device, if you will find a great page of information about the laptops for engineering. They have not posted a requirements link for students entering Fall 2020 though. I have no idea if they change from year to year. We ordered my daughter’s in the summer before she went to school and used the TAMU link with Dell. It was super easy and she gets coverage on campus if she needs repairs. We also bought a waterproof backpack and computer sleeve through Amazon because of all the rain/downpours they can get in College Station.

Thanks! We’ve had good luck with HP’s so I may do that. Two of my last five Dells had given me issues so I may stay with HP’s or we may consider Mac Pro.

when does tamu usually release financial aid packages?

@TXRunningMom. Brown scholarship wants to interview my son on the 20th which he has finals. Do they offer different dates for the interview or just one? Thanks.

I received an invitation to interview for the Brockman Scholarship today! I’m planning to read through last’s year thread, but are there any particular tips for me? Anything is appreciated!