TAMU- 2024 After you've been accepted... questions and answers

@kime100 there really isn’t a middle of campus. It’s northside and southside. I would say both have pros and cons. There’s also west side but that is the furthest away but biggest rooms!

Just for stats purpose wanted to let you know they are releasing Engineering Honors. My DS was accepted into Engineering Honors yesterday 12/18.

When did you apply for Engineering Honors and what was your ACT or SAT?

DS submitted engineering honors application on 11/7. ACT - 35

I know there are several moms with kids in the Honors program. My 2 sons were both accepted into Engineering Honors yesterday. I read some old posts that even though the professors are not supposed to grade Honors vs. non-Honors differently, but some do anyways. Does this occur often? What are your kids’ experiences? Thanks.

Any chance of OOS student receiving any more merit/ aid? DS received maroon award for 5K but it says it is not used to reduce to in state tuition. Right now the bill would be 50K a year. He really likes TAMU but can’t afford it at that price. How do people get the in state scholarships?

@Rathgar , I thought the Maroon Award was a tuition waiver for in state tuition? Hmmmm, I don’t have any experience here but do keep us posted. Everything I’ve read says if you get $4,000 in school scholarships, you qualify for in state tuition.

@Rathgar , Non-Resident Tuition Waiver for Recipients of Competitive Scholarships
Beginning Fall 2017, a non-resident undergraduate student who holds competitive scholarship(s) of at least $4,000 or more
per academic year may be entitled to pay the tuition of a resident student and have the non-resident tuition amount waived.
The waiver only applies during the academic year(s) you are receiving at least $4,000 of competitive scholarships. A
competitive scholarship must consider both Texas residents and non-residents in the awarding process, not give preference
to one or the other, and must be awarded by a University scholarship committee. If you eligibility for one or more
scholarships which drops you below the $4,000 minimum for the year, your non-resident tuition waiver may be forfeited

https://scholarships.tamu.edu/Forms/1819ScholarshipHandbook.aspx

@Rathgar , I just read through the link of scholarships at tamu. I wonder if the Aggie Bound Scholarship would apply for you? Do you have other scholarships offers from other schools? It looks like that is a recruiting type scholarship to get you to come to TAMU.

I copied below the maroon award statement.
He would gladly forego the Maroon award to receive a scholarship that reduces his cost to in-state.
Is there still a chance he will receive a different scholarship?
Hate to cross TAMU off so early in the game.

Maroon Merit Award
The Maroon Merit is awarded to recruited out-of-state (domestic) students who meet established academic standards and are
not receiving a tuition benefit from Texas A&M University. The scholarship is awarded through the Office of Admissions.
This scholarship is funded by Texas A&M University.
One-Time or Multi-Year: Multi-Year
Minimum Enrollment: Full-time
Renewal GPR: 3.0
30/60/90: Yes
Additional Requirements: If at any point you become eligible for a non-resident tuition waiver by earning at least $4,000 in
competitive scholarship(s), all future payments of this scholarship will be permanently terminated.

Do you have to be in Honors to be considered for Brown or Brockman?

Hi, I created a new thread a couple days ago about the Engineering Honors admissions, and I just read this thread today, and see that a few recent posts have been that topic, if you are interested. After reading this thread, I have a question - if your 12th grader is National Merit Semifinalist (and assuming will advance since most do) - are you also applying for other scholarships? My son is in-state, semifinalist, he’s been admitted to Engineering Honors, and I’m wondering if he still need to be researching scholarships outside of the NM awards at A&M?

@macarthur, from my son’s experience, I think the honors are separated with Brown or Brockman, as he got an interview with Brockman two weeks ago, and just got into Engineering Honors this week.

@KRR12345, my son is the same, also applied other scholarships at A&M but have not heard anything except the NMF scholarship offering.

@Rathgar , I agree with you 100% on foregoing the Maroon for an In State Tuition waiver. You might see a scholarship randomly show up in your Howdy around February or March. I’ve seen many posts where kids find random scholarships in their Howdy but never receive an email notification about them. I would hold TAMU in your hand of cards and see what happens. Don’t fold yet!

@macarthur , Brockman is a separate application and funded entity not related to TAMU operations. Brown is for National Merits who are selected for interviews based on your TAMU application. I believe if you are a Brown scholar, you receive automatic admission to Honors.

Quick question because I can’t find any help online about it. I’m a hs senior going into zoology and I was accepted auto-admit earlier this month, with all of my fafsa stuff completed in November. Whenever I go into the financial aid portal through the howdy portal, it tells me that they haven’t recieved my fafsa. We called the school in a panic a few weeks ago and whoever talked to my dad seemed confused and told us that they had it and everything looked good on their end, but 90% of the time it tells me that they still don’t have it. If I log out of the financial aid portal and relog in on that specific webpage it says that they have it but any other time it says they don’t. I’m very confused and all of their financial aid webpages on google say that they’re down for maintenance. How long should I wait until we call again and how long until financial aid starts being offered? Thank anyone who helps so much

@Austrel Yes, that sounds frustrating and confusing! This may be a goofy suggestion you’ve already done, but on the financial page, make sure you have it set to the proper time, i.e. fall 2020 and not spring 2020. Just a thought! I’ve made this mistake myself

@Eggscapgoats Now I feel insanely dumb, it was defaulting to 2019-2020 instead of 20-21. Still no aid offered but it reliably tells me that they have my fafsa now so I guess that’s all that matters. Thank you so much

@austrel You’re not the first and surely won’t be the last! Glad it worked