TAMU 2025 Brown Scholar

Thanks @ChillyCow. This was very helpful!

1 Like

Has anyone here applied to Enmed? I submitted my application this morning and was wondering how long it might take to hear a decision or set up an interview

Did your son hear back regarding the Brown scholarship? We r from so ca too. My son is a Brown Scholar. Would be great to have another from so ca!

Dang it, no, he was not selected to interview for Brown. :grinning:
TAMU is still a competitive package with the National Merit scholarship, but he will be waiting for all of his admissions offers and financial packages to make a decision on the college that is right for him.

Sorry about that:(. I believe that if your son receives at least 4K in scholarships he would get in-state tuition. Our son is an engineering major. He unfortunately hasnā€™t ever been to TAMU (nor have we) because every tour we scheduled got canceled due to COVID. Since many classes were online anyway he was allowed to go virtually this year. We just booked our hotel so we can take him in August. He seems happy with his choice. He had applied to 24 schools (no ivies) and was only declined by 2 - USC (surprising but probably good) and Cal Tech. From what we have seen so far (Fish Camp, Transition Camp (because we didnā€™t act quickly on Fish camp and then got in), the collaborative environment, Engineering dorm Mosher hall, etc. it is a good fit for him. They also took almost all of his AP Classes. Let us know if your son decides to go. We live in Newport Beach. Take care and good luck with the college search. Congrats on NM!

Hey there. It looks like my son will be heading to College Station in the fall after all. Since you said you were in Southern California, I thought I would reach out. If it turns out we are close, perhaps we could be a mutual resource for each other. We are in Long Beach. I am in some of the TAMU parent forums on Facebook, and I feel like I may not be getting optimal advice for my son. I am also planning to attend an Aggie Moms Club meeting later this month in Irvine. My son will be living in the ECOS honors community at Mosher. I hope to hear from you.

Sent you a message

Hi, we are not in SoCal (Northern Cal/Bay Area) but my son is also a NMF and Eng Honors student headed to A&M and Mosher in the fall. Just thought Iā€™d say hello as it seems OOS students (especially from CA) are few and far between. Is your son thinking about the Fish Camp (if they have one) this summer?

Hi, was looking for info on housing and saw the msg from you so sorry for the late reply. My email is lkh1@cox.net if u want to talk. - Lisa

Hi! We are from Orange County. Our son will be going in August. Just got his room today. Got lucky and got an apartment on campus in Fowler Hall. Hopefully a nice roommate. My email is lkh1@cox.net. Take care - Lisa

Has your daughter been happy with her experience? My son is deciding between A&M Brown Scholar and Georgia Tech. I would love to be able to tell him about actual experiences!

1 Like

I would love to hear about your sonā€™s experience in Eng. Honors and Mosher!

1 Like

My son graduated in May in biomedical engineering as a Brown Scholar. He had a great experience with it. Between his sophomore and Junior year he was an intern at Houston Methodist and it was the most amazing experience for him. It really directed his research interests and changed his views on how much education he wanted to get. He is now working on his phd.

7 Likes

Any Engineering Brown Scholar Experience? How was the Eng. Honors college and which dorm did they pick? Son wants to be in the Engineering dorm but I am worried about room sizes and 4 boys sharing one bathā€¦

Thank you for the feedback!

My freshman son is in the engineering honors LLC at Mosher (ECOS). The dorms are clean and well-maintained, and the AC works well. Four boys to one bathroom has been fine. Room size and supplied furniture are adequate. There are various lounge/study areas in Mosher and also at the Commons, which is attached, so he and his roommate have the space and privacy they need.

He will be moving to an off-campus apartment with boys from ECOS in the fall, partly to get a little more room but mostly so he will have a better kitchen to cook in and more choices for food. He is on the required meal plan, but he misses properly cooked vegetables.

He is pretty happy with ECOS but sometimes wonders if living in the general honors community would have been better and put him in the company of other students who achieve at his level. He found first semester to be a cakewalk with 16 hours and Calc 3 (many kids start with Calc 1 even if they have AP credit). He was amazed to see how many engineering honors freshmen were struggling. He chose not to do university honors because he was happy to leave literature analysis and philosophy behind in high school. He is aware of some engineering students who live in the general honors dorms.

2 Likes

I appreciate your information. Was he able to meet people/make friends through Mosher? That is the main reason he was thinking of staying there, was to be around people like him. Was he glad he stayed there to make friends? What did your son do with all of his AP credits since they all have to do general engineering (mine is coming in with 16)? He was considering the regular honors college dorms as well, since they are bigger. He is definitely over any liberal arts classes. Is he able to get into research his freshman year? Did he receive information during his freshman year that help to guide him into which field of engineering he wants to go into (mine is currently torn between EE & ME).

Sorry for so many questions!

Thanks for starting many helpful questions here. And thanks to those parents for their prompt responses and sharing experience. I may ask some further questions as well hopefully you all donā€™t mind.

Thanks for sharing. Did you son waive any AP credits but was still placed in those upper or lower classes that might be too easy, or he chose those in part for purposes of maintaining grades for major or scholarships?
I did not know University Honors requires taking those philosophy courses. That is good to know.
Thanks,

To be clear, University Honors doesnā€™t specifically require philosophy, but it does have broader requirements in liberal arts than an engineering degree.

Also, my son specifically did not employ the strategy of repeating classes for which he had AP credit, although that is the standard advice for engineering students. He did calc 3 in the fall of his freshman year while many other students chose to take calc 1 in order to get the ā€œeasy Aā€ for ETAM. He got an easy A in calc 3 because he loves it and was well prepared for it. He did retake Physics (even though he had a 5 on the AP) because he felt his high school teacher was weak. He was bored with that class and regretted not taking the leap there.

Students can accept AP credits as needed. The strategy is to sit on them until they need them. My sonā€™s Howdy portal shows all of his AP scores, but he has only accepted some of the credits so far. For example, he accepted credits for Calc 1 and Calc 2 so that he could enroll in Calc 3. He has not accepted credits for Macro and Micro Economics because he does not need them yet. He will probably accept one of those classes later to fulfill the ā€œsocial and behavioral sciencesā€ requirement for University Core Curriculum, but he is holding off for now in case he decides to pick up a TAMU course in that area.

The main reason to hold off on accepting the credits that you donā€™t specifically need is to maintain flexibility. Once students have a certain number of hours (maybe 60?), they are not allowed to take things that donā€™t specifically apply to their degree plan for their major and up to two minors.

2 Likes