TAMU Application NMF Question

DS20 is applying for TAMU engineering for Fall 2020. DS is trying to apply early being out of state. The application has a question: Are you a National Merit Semifinalist?Based on his PSAT and SAT, DS will be a semifinalist but will be notified in September. I hear the engineering slots at TAMU get filled up quickly. Does anyone have any thoughts how to get around this and still be able to apply early?

I don’t know the answer to your question. I am cheering your son on. NMF would give him instate tuition.

The EA deadline for engineering is Oct 15th. I would just get everything ready and then hit submit when you get the NMSF confirmation. I don’t think applying before Oct 15th helps.

@bingewatcher Thanks
@Eeyore123 Thanks. My understanding was that if you apply early at A&M you find out a lot sooner. May be it is different for engineering.

Engineering admission is holistic, early acceptance to the school is irrelevant if engineering is the only desired major. Go to the TAMU subforum (if you can find it in this new hell).

Congrats to you and your son! It sounds like you know he’s above the predicted cut off score. I would go ahead and select YES. They know the kids aren’t officially notified until a certain date. They will be able to verify his status when results are released.

Edited to add: Letters of recommendation are optional for admission; however, being NM will put him in the running for some scholarships which do require 2 letters of recommendation. Those can be submitted after the application, but I would definitely get 2 letters uploaded through Howdy shortly after he applies.

@Sybylla You’re on it, LOL! :smiley:

@barca2018 , definitely check yes and submit your application early for engineering! I had the same question last year with my daughter; I’m not sure why they have it on there like that since no one knows officially until September! TAMU has an awesome program for NMF!