TAMU Business Questions. Please Help!

Howdy, I am currently in the application process at TAMU and I was looking for a second choice major. Now I want to go into marketing and so my primary choice of major is Business Administration. Now with that said I understand it is very difficult to get into mays business school and I was wondering what might be a good alternative for marketing as I would like to go get an MBA so I’m not sure how important undergrad may be. Additionally, I would like to ask does anyone know how the Business Administration route works, a couple years ago I remember my friends enrolled in TAMU as just “Business” and I don’t think applied to Mays business school till after their first year. Is there still a way to do business outside of mays and then transfer in? Did they change that? Like how do I declare that I would be studying marketing or something in that field? Business administration seems like a broad term. I understand mays only take about 1000 students and I’m probably already late I’m just wondering out of curiosity how the whole Mays thing works.

@Andrewnovedu900 There’s no such thing as general business admin at TAMU. The closest thing would be Ag Business. Mays is probably full by now, so if you haven’t applied and aren’t automatic or academic admit then your shot as a freshman is very slim. NOW… I know many students who put AgBus or AgEcon or just Econ as their second choice. Just depends on how strongly you feel that you will be able to change majors into Mays after completing 30 hours at TAMU with required coursework and a minimum 3.5 and be 1 of 100 students they allow to change majors into Mays.

With that, I suggest picking a 2nd choice major that will still help you achieve your goals. NOW… one more thing that I think is super cool… after your freshman year, you can apply to University Studies with a Business concentration. This requires more business classes than a minor in business would have, but no where near a business degree. There may be like one marketing class in the curriculum. With this degree you would choose 2 minors. Pretty cool if you want to do something specific like own a gym or be in the sports world, run a zoo, or like science and want a minor in bio. Sky is the limit my friend. Just do your research and take a breath.

O I completely understand thank you so much. Question, so if Mays only accepts 1000ish per year does that mean there is legit only 1000 kids in the business field at TAMU?

@Andrewnovedu900 No, there are 1000 per year, PLUS change of majors of 100 added and also transfer students. Not sure the total number in Mays, but I’m sure we could find out.

@Andrewnovedu900 @AggieMomhelp
Fall 2017 report won’t be out until approx Nov 15. For fall 2016, If you look at the page numbers on the document, Page 3, Mays undergrad enrollment as 5,059 students. The spring 2017 report was similar in numbers.

Page 16 shows that "first time in college (freshmen) is 1,036.

https://dars.tamu.edu/Data-and-Reports/Student/files/EPFA16.aspx