TAMU Calculus

Would a 5 on the AP Calculus AB test allow me to test out of any of the core engineering class at Texas A&M?

The following link will provide you with the information regarding what AP credits can be used for at A&M. They will most likely advise you to retake MATH151 but ultimately that decision is up to you.

https://dars.tamu.edu/Testing/AP,-SAT,-ACT,-and-Other-Information-for-Incoming-F/files/AP-changes-for-2016-(1).aspx

I would highly recommend you to head to MATH 152, or attempt to score high enough on the BC to test out of MATH 152. Too many friends that received high scores on their AP Calculus test did not do as well as they’d hoped for. They make it more difficult to earn an A, even for those who scored high on their AP tests. Luckily, I came in with Calculus 1, 2, and 3 already finished, and was able to take my 300 level math class, which was easier than what my friends told me they had to do, as far as work. Classes are a lot smaller, and professors really get to know you and help you out. I received a high grade in that class, without having to stress as much, because of the way higher level math classes are set up.

And for the record, MOST, I would say, including myself, found Calculus 3, much easier than Calculus 2. So please do not let advisers discourage you or pressure you into retaking classes that you feel you have mastered, as it is their job to tell you to retake classes, regardless of your score. I didn’t take retake any class that my adviser told me to retake, and it was the best decision I ever made, as I did very well in my classes, because I knew what I was getting myself into.