TAMU Chance Me Please?

TX Resident
Applying as a bio major (2nd choice is business)
GPA: 97.286/106 I think it’s out of? Roughly a 3.88W in standard terms
Class Rank: Top 28% (130/469)
SAT: 1310 (720 R/590 M)
ACT: 30 (35 W/32 R/ 27 M/ 24 S)… I know the 24 isn’t very good for a bio major
Race: Latino & White
Not sure if legacy holds any weight, but if it does then my father went there for undergrad.
Applying regular decision by the December 2nd deadline

In my essay I talked about skipping 8th grade and how that has affected my perception of myself, and how I have changed for the better because of it. I think it’s pretty good, but that’s all subjective.

ECs:
HOSA club member (10-12)
50+ hours of community service mostly from a children’s vacation Bible camp (10-11)
Babysitting at least once a week for the same family’s three children, one of which is autistic and on the spectrum (9-12)
Internship at a pediatrician’s office mostly shadowing the medical assistants (12)
Internship at a pharmacy as a pharmacy technician trainee (certified) (12)
Recreational gymnastics (10)
Work at my mother’s birthday party business for children nearly every weekend (9-12)

Awards:
AP Human Geography Commendation (9)
AP Scholar (11-12)

For my letters of rec I have an above average one from my health science teacher, a pretty average and kinda bland one from my calculus teacher, and an incoming one from my counselor.

APs Taken:
Human Geography (3)
World History (2)
Psychology (4)
Biology (3)
US History (4)

APs Taking:
Government & Politics
Literature & Composition
Calculus AB
Chemistry (Will not test for)
Macroeconomics (Will not test for)

In addition, I have taken a UT OnRamps Rhetoric Course in which I have gotten 6 college credits from. I am also taking a medical assisting class and a pharmacology class where I will test at the end of the year for certifications as a medical assistant and a pharmacy technician. I’m not sure how to incorporate this into my A&M application though.

On the negatives, junior year I made C’s in both pre-AP physics and pre-calc. I used to be top 25% before this :frowning: Currently though, I have a high A in calculus so I’m hoping to rectify it a bit through that.

Also, if you could chance me for UT Austin and Baylor that would be great. I know UT is a reach though, and honestly A&M is as well because of my class rank. However, it’s been my dream school since forever, and I’ve gonna shoot my shot, y’know?

This is tough. So know that what I say is my opinion based on what I have seen over the past few years. The first thing I’ve noticed is how competitive it is now vs even 2 years ago.

The good: 30 ACT. Your ECs and work experience and you are just shy of top quarter.

The not so good: not being top quarter and even if you were, the act composite would put you in academic admit but the math sub score knocks ya out of it. Your AP scores are okay but not sure why you would take AP and not test. Did you consider dual credit or was it not available?

Business is already full but bio doesn’t typically become full til February so that shouldn’t be an issue.

Oh and legacy is not a factor AND they will only read 2 lors so no need to send in the third.

You have a chance at full admit or blinn team but I can’t say for certain til we start seeing others get their decisions to see how your stats compare. If your essay resonates with the reader, then that could be the sway in your favor.

Best of luck and please keep us posted.

I am not taking two of my AP tests simply because of the cost. I took them because my high school gives a GPA boost for APs regardless of whether or not you take the test, and that’ll hopefully put me back in the top 25% after the first semester (not that it really matters at that point, sadly). No dual credit was available.

Also, wouldn’t my ACT math subscore qualify for academic admit if theoretically I was in the top quartile? The website says 27 unless I’m looking in the wrong place or if it’s outdated, which it very well might be haha.

Thank you so much for the reply though! Will definitely keep posted-- sending in my app tonight.

Accepted! :slight_smile:

@isabellat11 Whoop! So happy for you! I just saw your post about the ACT subscore too. Not sure what I was thinking but yes the 27 is a qualifying score! I must have been sleepy!

So glad you got your decision so quickly! Hard work pays off! Best of luck to you at A&M. I hope you love it here as much as my kids did and do (Son is sophomore daughter graduated Dec. 2018

Thank you so much!! I’m absolutely thrilled.