TAMU - Chance me

I have a 2.8 unweighted GPA, and a 30 ACT. I am part of 7 clubs and am the president of 3. I have 100+ hours of community service. I want to apply undecided. Assuming I have good essays, do I have a shot? I am OOS.

TAMU uses class rank vs. GPA in their admissions decisions. Vast majority of OOS students are academic admits, but being OOS is not a factor- you are reviewed under the same standards as Texans. IF you are in the top 25% and meet certain criteria for the ACT section scores,you would be an academic admit. IF NOT, you are a review admit.

I don’t believe you can apply undecided. You will need to pick something. It is rolling admissions to majors with exception of the College of Engineering which requires an additional admission review. If you are admitted to the campus, you can pick any open major except engineering (you can pick it, but it will be subject to review).

The website is tamu.edu - look thru the admissions site & choices of majors. Applications are submitted traditionally early here (assuming you’re from CA & don’t know this) due to the rolling admissions. Applications close Dec 1 - much earlier than west coast schools.

Do you have a chance? It depends where your GPA falls in class rank % for your HS- you can swing drastically based on that. The admission stats online listed for this school are somewhat deceptive, they are listed for the whole range of admits not just for the College Station admit with full admission. If you qualify for academic admit your chances are 100%, if you become a review admit they drop significantly. It is an achievement to gain admission through the review route. Good luck!

So, it is very hard to get in to TAMU if I become a review admit. Also, my school doesn’t rank so how does it affect me.

Your school will send a HS profile to TAMU, then admissions will create a rank for you based on that information. Where would you put yourself? top 25%, 50%? Usually your rank is your weighted GPA compared to your classmates. They will normally assign you a quartile if your school doesn’t rank.

check out this information for the class of 2018 stats http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/texas-m-university/1676831-class-of-2018-offers-of-admission-breakdown.html#latest

You do have some great attributes, I don’t want to discourage you from applying - but do know that you will need to have stellar essays to give yourself a fighting chance. Also pick a back up school just in case.