TAMU Class of 2021 - Engineering Admission Decisions

My son did not have a letter under that tab as of yet. We were told when he visited the biomedical engineering advisor that they had 140 spots for kids earmarked for biomedical and then another 26 for the spring that mostly go to transfers. Perhaps if the first choice was Biomed but you were accepted to General Engineering mechanical, the mechanical department used an earmarked slot of theirs. I was told mechanical had a lot more spots, can’t remember exact number but it was several hundred.

@pbleigh --wow! So they will only accept 140 into biomed for the fall 2017 admissions season?

Technically you do not get into your major until sophomore year, however, each department earmarks the kids and those kids get advising from that department. If the student has a 3.50 gpa or greater after freshman year they automatically get their first choice engineering major. And yes we were surprised too, only 140 this year and that represents an increase over past years but a level they do not plan to grow any higher in the near future.

Although they did say if more people than 140 pick Biomed and have greater than 3.50 GPA after freshman year they admit them all and have less spots for spring.

When did you apply: 08/01
When did you get your UIN: 08/09
When did you receive your admission decision: Finished Engineering Review- Got in!!! General Engineering Computer EL track
Auto-admit
Major/College of Choice: General Engineering Computer EL Track
Honors program: No
Class Rank:37/781 Top 5%
SAT: 1370 (new)
ACT: 29

—No new letters just AIS says ur in COE and ur major changes to general engineering

@ACT2017 Did they tell you this when you called or is this just something you noticed? My son got his application in on Sept 2. We are anxiously waiting to see what happens.

I wonder how frequently they will release engineering decisions? I’m trying to see a pattern in who has already received their acceptance and I don’t really see any. My son is finally settling in on A&M as his 1st choice and it would be great to get the acceptance so he have some closure and enjoy the rest of his senior year. That and I’m impatient… :smiley:

1 Like

@TxSker We are the same way. We had to beg our son to apply anywhere else as he only has his heart set on A&M. When he asked admissions, they said all Engineering applicant’s who had their applications complete by Oct. 15 will have an answer by mid-Dec. So at most hopefully only another month of waiting.

Does anyone know if they do not get accepted into general engineering now, if they will offer BLINN team or do we have to wait until later to find that out?

As parents of future Aggie engineers, I think we all need to make sure we are keeping up with the current plans and goals of the department. Some reading material while we wait…

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/texas-a-m-crafting-a-bigger-better-engineering-school/article_6bfdda0a-8da6-5172-80bf-77114ec7108e.html

@2017seniormom - I didn’t call. It’s based on the admissions reported here

1 Like

They followed up on the portal acceptance with an email today with an engineering acceptance letter.

For anyone that is interested in engineering honors, you will hear 3-4 weeks after you are accepted into general engineering.

I have twins who were auto admits that applied within a week of each other in Oct. DS2 applied and was accepted first. DS1 just received his acceptance into engineering e-mail today and DS2 hasn’t. The only major difference is ACT scores, DS1 had a 32 (stem 31), DS2 30 (stem 33). The GPA’s, class rank, EC are very similar. Both put not sure for honors.

@3boysmom92 Care to share what their major preferences were? Other stats?

Just received my admission decision today morning, however engineering is still under review. Wanted to ask whether applying for housing would bind me to the uni, since the admission letter states something about “priority housing” and recommends an early application for housing. Any help would be appreciated!

@lolonimous I would go ahead and apply for housing. Doing so does not bind you to the university. There is I think a $350 deposit for the housing application and all but $50 of that is refundable if you do not decide to attend Texas A&M.

Thanks! @TxSker

DS1 had ID as 1st choice, ME as 2nd. He is ranked 3/200. DS2 had ME as 1st choice and EE as second. He is ranked 5/200. Both have the same course load, AP Physics (last year), AP Calc, Dual Credit Bio, etc. But, DS1 is taking Environmental Sciences this year that DS2 is not.

What other stats would be helpful? We to are trying to figure out the pattern and when the next wave of acceptances will be released. DS2 is not happy. LOL

@3boysmom92 My sons 1st choice is MEEN as well with AERO as his 2nd. Maybe that is it? MEEN hasn’t done their reviews yet? My son is an academic admit (top 18%) not an auto admit but with a similar course load, also had a 31 ACT composite. I guess we just need to wait a bit longer… :frowning:

Did yours apply for honors as well? Honors has been reviewing for awhile and made decisions but won’t release so that kids don’t get the honors answer before the engineering answer. I am wondering if perhaps those reviewed first also applied for honors? Also is ID, industrial engineering?