TAMU Class of 2021 - Engineering Admission Decisions

Quick update that we received an email and now have a letter under ‘Communications.’ He applied for honors, but we just have the engineering decision so far.

@3boysmom92 - ours is Mechanical. My guess is they’re just rolling with the application dates. Since it was my son’s #1 choice, he submitted on 8/2.

@pbleigh Looks like someone that was admitted did not apply for honors so that doesn’t appear to be it.

ETA:

I asked the question on what the initial pool of engineering acceptances consisted of on TexasAgs forum and an admission person with A&M offered this response.

"Many of them were national scholars. However, some others (including applying to other majors) have been finished a little early. Mid-December is still the timeline when remaining early action decisions for Engineering will be going out.

We evaluate class rank (not specifically GPA), test scores and everything else submitted with your application - outside activities, leadership, employment, the essays, etc."

My daughter applied to COE the first week of August and is still showing in review. Her stats are published on the 1st page of this post I think. We were not expecting to hear until Dec. She has not yet finished the honors application as she thought you had to be admitted to eng before applying. She started on it last night. I hope it isn’t too late!

Perhaps it is a combination of factors. The one that got admitted without applying to honors was ID and in looking at the 2016 admitted student profiles in engineering, Industrial Distribution seems to have a lower average GPA than Mechanical Engineering/ Chemical/ Biomedical which seem the highest. So maybe the honors kids apps got put on the top of the pile and each department has so many slots to earmark and some departments get a lot more applications then others and then take longer to make decisions. I would guess that the departments with the highest overall GPA are probably more competitive to get into as well although that doesn’t give the whole picture because I know Biomedical has 140 slots and Mechanical had twice that, no idea on Chemical.

My son is computer science, which falls under the School of Engineering. No idea how many they take or how many have applied. His classes and APs are heavy in advanced maths, Physics and Computer Sciences so I am hoping that will help.

When did you apply:10/14
When did you get your UIN:10/16
When did you receive your admission decision:11/11
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Did you get in: Yes-Engineering
Honors program: applied both to university and engineering
SAT:1490
ACT: 34
8 AP’s all 5 except Physics 1&2 =4’s
Posting for son.

@2017seniormom Info on Computer Science: https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/resources/analysis-spring-2016-admission-cycle/cpsc

@pbleigh Thank you! That is helpful and hopeful! Although isn’t spring typically transfer students, plus last year they didn’t do hollistic review for engineering.

My friend’s son got his admission letter yesterday. He is review candidate into A&M and was a biomedical engineering first choice. So now my son is stressing because he hasn’t heard anything. I told him maybe they are going by major choices since a few biomedical students here got their acceptance too. This whole college thing is super stressful.

@pbleigh I believe that link you shared is for existing student in the engineering program and admittance into their major of choice from ‘general engineering’. This is not data relating to Freshman admissions into TAMU or TAMU engineering.

Yes I believe what I posted was Freshman in the Spring of this year doing the entry to major into engineering for their sophomore year. They posted those stats on each major in Engineering and Computer Science. Yes, it does not relate to kids applying for general engineering except that you can compare the majors and see fairly well which ones are easier to get into. Each department still does go through the process of earmarking freshman even though it isn’t a final acceptance into major until after the freshman entry to major process. https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/entry-to-a-major/resources/analysis-spring-2016-admission-cycle

@2017seniormom I don’t think there is any rhyme of reason to the way rolling admissions come out and the wait can be agonizing. With your son’s strong math and science AP’s, I would make a confident bet that he will be admitted to general engineering. I know that is not any comfort as an official letter would be. However, it is my belief and I have seen it elsewhere, and it is the process UT uses, in that the whole holistic review process is for retention purposes and to allow in those students who are ready to hit the ground running and have the foundations needed for the engineering calculus and physics needed on the first day of class. There are a lot of students who make top ten auto admit who do not have the background in high school, like AP Calculus AB/BC and AP physics. I know quite a few kids from my city whose were auto admits and changed majors due to these factors. Just the same, I know quite a few kids who had the background, and while it’s work, they are doing well. Then there can be some review admits who have these foundations who are not in the auto/academic ranges for varying reasons. The holistic approach will give them a better placement of full CStat admissions, Galveston, and Eng. Academy at Blinn.

My son’s math 151 class and engineering 111 class have already lost A LOT of kids. They have completed their second exams and have the third on on Tues after Thanksgiving break. Then Finals two weeks after that. For only 1 credit hour, Eng111 is heavily time consuming. They do a lot of group projects and some groups have really suffered because of kids no longer coming to class. Some profs regroup students every project, while others 2-3 times a semester.

@Thelma2 Thank you! Our daughter’s boyfriend is a junior in Petroleum Engineering and he says the same thing. He said there is a 1/4 of the kids now than when he started. Fingers crossed!

According to a response I received from Aggie Admissions today, they were able to “send out a select few Engineering decisions early but most decisions will be sent out in December as planned”. So it looks like there will be a few more weeks of waiting for those who applied to Engineering by the Oct 15th date for an earlier decision.

If you also applied to UT @ Austin, there has been a round of decisions released today so check your status page. Our daughter has been accepted to Aerospace Engineering at UT @ Austin.

When did you apply: 8/2
When did you get your UIN: 8/9
When did you receive your admission decision: 11/21
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit: Auto Admit
Major/College of Choice: Dwight Look COE AERO
Did you get in: 9/20 Admitted to University - 11/21 Admitted to Gen Eng (Aerospace)
Honors program: Applying
Class Rank: 37/669 (5.5%)
ACT: 33

WHOOP! Son was just admitted into Dwight Look COE this morning!!

When did you apply: 8/6
When did you get your UIN: 8/9
When did you receive your admission decision: 9/20
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit: Academic Admit
Major/College of Choice: Dwight Look COE MEEN/AERO
Did you get in: 9/20 Admitted to University - Awaiting COE Decision - 11/21 Admitted to GEN ENG (MECH)
Honors program: Maybe (Going to apply)
Class Rank: Top 18%
ACT: 31

We looked this am. His 1st choice changed from Computer Science to General Engineering, with computer science in parentheses. Still says in review though overall (he wasn’t an auto admit). this a good or bad thing?

Woo Hoo! Son got into General Engineering (Mechanical). Congratulations to others.

@2017seniormom Do you mind sharing your son’s stats? I looked and did not see them posted in previous comments. Thank you.

When did you apply: 11/2
When did you get your UIN: 11/7
When did you receive your admission decision: 11/15 & 11/21(Engineering)
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit: Academic Admit
Major/College of Choice: Dwight Look COE BMEN
Did you get in: 11/15 Admitted to University 11/21 Admitted to COE
Honors program: Maybe
Class Rank: Top 1%
ACT: 33
SAT: 1470 (Reading&Math old SAT)