TAMU Class of 2022 - Admissions Decisions

@RMNiMiTz I’m assuming uni, but I’ll ask to clarify

@RMNiMiTz I would imagine @freshmesh167 is meaning University admissions for auto/academic admits and their majors, other than engineering. Last year, when apps opened Aug. 1, the first reported CC admission was Oct. 7 for engineering. That applicant applied Aug. 6. The first auto acceptances after Aug. 1 opening of apps, the past 2 years, has been around September 19/20.

Will apps opening a month earlier this year set that date forward? Looks like it. And COE acceptances may move up as well. With all of these changes the last few years, it is hard to make reliable predictions based on past movements.

Answering for my son. Good luck to everyone!

When did you apply: 7/13 - Apply Texas
When did you get your UIN: 7/18
When did you receive your admission decision: not yet (fingers crossed!)
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit: Auto-admit
Major/College of Choice: Physics/College of Natural Science
Did you get in: ?
Honors program: applied
Class Rank: top 7%
SAT: 1380
ACT: 31

@AggieMom22

Is anyone else in the TAMU or nothing boat? This is literally the only place he wants to go!

My son, too! It is driving me crazy… I’m so nervous for him. Fingers crossed for both our kiddos! :slight_smile:

@RMNiMiTz @Thelma2 They just got back to me and this is what they said: “Students are admitted to the university first. Majors are given on a first come, first serve basis, so whatever major the student was admitted into, the major will be listed on the admission decision letter upon its release.”

@freshmesh167 Thank You. That would be for every major, other than engineering, as that is the only major with holistic review and not first come, first serve.

Replying for my son

When did you apply: 7/10
When did you get your UIN: 7/14
When did you receive your admission decision: N/A
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: Academic Admit
Major/College of Choice: Mays
Did you get in: N/A
Honors program: N/A
Class Rank: 20%
SAT: 1390
ACT: 29

@trish02 and @AggieMom22 I’m in the boat with you, this is his only application for now.

@trish02

I would also love to go to A&M, but if I don’t get in for engineering, I would probably have to attend a safety like UTD.

However, since my SAT is a 1440 (with a 760 on the Math Section), I think my own chances are pretty decent at getting into engineering.

@RMNiMiTz - Your scores are great! I know engineering is tough to get in to, but it looks like you have what you need. Best wishes & my fingers are crossed for you! I hope you get your first choice! :slight_smile:

@addicted2MT - Is your application still labeled “In Progress”? My son’s is labeled “Is Complete and In Review” - I have no idea how long the review process takes.

Anyone know when acceptance letters to go out?

@trish02 rolling notifications start September 1st :smiley:

@freshmesh167 Thank you!!

Replying for my son as well:
When did you apply: July 5
Received UIN: July 7 or 8 (very prompt!)
Received admissions decision: n/a
Auto/Academic/Review: Academic Admit
Major/College of Choice: Mays
Did you get in: n/a
Honors program: hoping for Business Honors
Class Rank: Top 15% (non-ranking school but A&M has ranked in top quarter)
SAT: 1380
ACT: 31

@AggieMom22 yes we are in the all or nothing boat here too! Will apply to other schools eventually, but his heart is in Aggieland!

@trish02 - Yes, my son’s changed to “My App Is Complete And In Review” as well. Sorry for the delay in replying. I am trying to stay away from checking his status daily so early in the game.

Question: Why do they have to have two separate categories, Auto & Academic Admit? Why call it two different things and not just say you are “Automatically Accepted if you rank in the top 10% of your class or 25% with an SAT of 1360 or ACT of 30 blah, blah…” It seems redundant to call it by two different names when either classification ensures automatic admittance into the university and neither into the Engineering program! Is it just me? :-?

@addicted2MT - I agree that the auto & academic admits classifications are redundant. I’m wondering if they are different classifications for scholarship consideration… maybe? I don’t know, makes sense, though. Is your son applying for Engineering? There is a lot of extra stress for that application process. I feel for everyone going through it. Just today, my son told me that he’s not worried about getting into Physics. His actual words were, “don’t worry, Mom, no one picks Physics as their first choice of degree. I’m sure I’ll get in.” Haha… He might be right. But since TAMU is his first, and only, choice so far, I’m pretty nervous for him.

@addicted2MT
I’m only a student so I don’t know if what I’m about to say is right but this is why calling it different things makes sense to me:

As a top 10% kid, I’m gonna look for automatic admissions/10% information at schools. Someone who isn’t top 10% would probably just skim over or not even look at the auto admit information because they don’t think it applies to them, however they’ll see the words “Academic Admit” and will very likely go see what that entails.
I think it just makes it easier for students to find the information that applies to them and helps avoid students missing an oppurtunity because they assumed they can’t get in.

Another point is that while top 10% can get auto admit into any public school, others are not guaranteed that. At TAMU they may be an auto admit because of their grades, but they might not be somewhere else. They’re only an auto admit at this school, they aren’t guaranteed the same privelage at other schools, so to avoid confusion they call it something else.

But thats just how I see it, I could be totally wrong.

@trish02 - your son is an auto admit, so there is no reason for you to be nervous for him. The only major that is not “first-come” is Engineering. Since your son is a Physics major, it should be just a matter of waiting for his application to be processed. My son applied to Mays for business. He used to think he wanted to be an engineering major because he is very good at math & sciences, but then decided his heart wasn’t in it.

DD’s application is in pre-submit limbo waiting for her to complete optional Topic C Essay (she is done with A&B)…she is a review admit at 14%, 4.8 wgpa and 27 ACT. She wrestles daily with whether she should even bother applying and I think that has her slow to get that final essay done. I am reasonably sure she’d pick TAMU if she were accepted (she is not interested in Blinn and would rather attend elsewhere if that is the option she is given.) Right now I’d give her chance of admission at 10%, so she is trying hard to focus on not getting her hopes up.

Good luck to everyone. May all of your Aggie dreams come true!

She has already completed and submitted 3 other application and heard back from 1 already. She can be an SFA Lumberjack if she wants. No threds for SFA on CC ^:)^

I think they want to keep the top 10% admits and academic admits separate for reporting reasons. Separately they can see how many top 10% kids were admitted and what their test scores were versus those outside the top ten and see how they compare. It would give them justification at some point to lower it to 7% or something closer to the school in Austin to increase selectivity. Look at Engineering now going to holistic review for everyone and no longer letting the top 10% admits take the large majority of spots. The number of applicants has skyrocketed the last five years and at some point I can see the top 10% changing in some way. Good luck to everyone applying!

@SECondkid2tamu

Unfortunately, that is unlikely to happen because of the 25x25 program (25,000 engineering students by 2025). This actually worries me (and I know it also worries many others at TAMU) because it could mean the decreasing quality of TAMU (College Station has gone down in rank every year, from 53 to 74, since 2011).

25x25 is not 25,000 engineering students on the College Station campus. This number includes students on the various campuses: College Station, Galveston, Qatar, and McAllen, online master’s degree students and students in our statewide engineering academies which include Blinn-Bryan, Blinn-Brenham, Austin Community College, Texas A&M-Chevron Engineering Academy at El Centro College and Richland College, Houston Community College-Spring Branch, and Texas Southmost College. https://engineering.tamu.edu/academies

Texas A&M University–College Station’s ranking in the 2017 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities at #74 also says A&M has an acceptance rate of 66% which is not completely true.That number includes all of the applicants offered full admissions at College Station as well as the pathway admissions of Gateway, Blinn Team, Engineering at Galveston, and all of the engineering academies. Selectivity and admissions rate, as well as SAT/ACT scores of admitted students are part of what is used in scoring. If they took full College Station admits alone into account, the rankings would be very different. Take out all of the Private universities, and A&M comes in at #27.