TAMU Class of 2022 - Admissions Decisions

@YourCollegeMom - Ok, my son just told me the same thing :slight_smile: I have been looking in AIS the entire time - ha! Didn’t know anything about the Howdy portal but they did. Ok, back to look there. THANKS!

@YourCollegeMom From your experience is it possible for people falling under holistic review to be notified within a month or earlier? or when do they usually get notified if admitted?

anyone know when reviews should start hearing back?

@Mandog82 we should start hearing in December typically, but it appears some are starting to hear so I have no idea what this will mean for the general holistic reviews.

My daughter should be an academic admit according to her ACT scores and class rank. She applied on August 11 but hasnt heard back yet. Should I be worried? She is a US citizen studying in India. Do you think that could be a reason for the delay? She has applied to the College of Engineering. Last year my elder daughter was a review candidate and she got Blinn Engineering Academy on January 30.

@goaggie Anyone who applies for Engineering goes through a holistic review. I have several friends who applied around the same time as your daughter and they haven’t received a decision yet either, and they are well-qualified applicants. I wouldn’t stress, but if you have any concerns, have your daughter contact her admissions counselor.

What are the 6 tabs in Howdy actually doing? My son is still under engineering review. Thanks.

@goaggie My son applied around the same time
he is an automatic admit who is still waiting as well to hear about engineering. I wouldn’t be too concerned until the timeframe of when we are supposed to hear comes around
beginning to mid December I believe. Fortunately it’s getting closer!!

He applied August 8. The 6 tabs are Home, Applicant, My Record, My Finances, Student Life and My Howdy.

@LilyWu The 6 tabs in Howdy are there because your son has already been accepted to Texas A&M University but he is still being reviewed for the College of Engineering.

If you fall under REVIEW can you please provide me with your info (GPA, RANK, SAT, ACT) and whether you’ve been accepted or not?

14%
28 ACT

Still under review. Want Mays and 2nd choice is ag business.

Well technically the college of engineering goes under review so

UW GPA: 3.93
W GPA: 4.55
Top Quarter (I am OOS Student and my school does not rank)
1520 SAT Score

Accepted 10/31

@Mandog82 On the engineering results thread, I posted a timeline of when applicants received their decisions.

Of the review admits on the forum, very few received their decision before the holiday break. Engineering were even fewer. Some on the thread, thought they were review because of holistic review process but they were actually academic admits to the university.

With a 590 in math on the SAT, full engr admit to college station is a reach.

@Thelma2 do you think BLINN is a possible path with that score?

Don’t other factors play into getting admitted to engineering? and not just an SAT subscore?
In my opinion, I don’t think they base someone’s capability for engineering solely on a score.

@Mandog82 Your math sub score is taking very seriously, as are the math classes you have had and how you did in them and what maths you are taking Sr. year. Enginnering is looking for your math readiness. A subscore of less than 600 doesn’t show your readiness for engineering calculus, which will eat your lunch if you are not really good at math. Getting into engineering is one thing. Staying in is quite another. Prior to holistic review (the first are freshmen right now), engineering retention was around 55%. They are also wanting to see your physics readiness.

The whole point of holistic review is to select candidate who will be most likely to be successful and be retained in the program past freshman year.

It is possible that you could be accepted into one of the engineering academies. There are six now. Blinn Engineering Academy is just one of them.

I would suggest that you apply to some other schools like UT Dallas or UT Arlington to increase your chances if you are really wanting engineering.

@Thelma2 From your past experiences, have you ever witnessed someone getting accepted to engineering with a math subscore ranging from 590-610?

@Mandog82 I have a spread sheet I was making from last years acceptances. It is on a computer that had a spill. That file did not get copied to the new computer. UT won’t even consider anything under 620. A&M doesn’t have that in writing like UT does but it wouldn’t surprise me if they don’t have a minimum score. And competitive applicants don’t have minimum scores.

WHat math classes have you taken?

@Thelma2

Algebra I
Geometry,
Algebra II
PreCalculus
AP Calculus AB (took calculus year round)

All of these courses were AP/Honors Courses.

In addition, I have taken classes relating to my major (my endorsements).
Do my science classes affect my decision?

In the 2021 results, for full CStat admit, the lowest math score I have come across on these boards was a 670 for a top 8% auto admit applicant. The only other math score below 700 was SAT 1330 math 690 from international student.

There was one SAT 1080 570 math SAT and 27 math on ACT top 12% rank that received Galveston. other Galveston admits were in top 25% and just under 1360 (they did not report exact SAT).

Then there is an ACT 28 to 25% in Blinn Academy along with a 39% rank and a 1370.

Not everyone posted their full stats so in many cases, we don’t know what maths and other classes they had but from those that did, the less math ready seemed to get an academy decision. Academy students still apply to majors but their process is different and I believe they get three shots instead of 2.

There were a handful of posters who posted stats but never came back to post their decisions.

No one posted that they were out right rejected from engineering. That is not to say no one did out of the 10K applications for engineering alone didn’t. Just no one on CC. Everyone got some decision. There are no PSA decisions for engineering. You get full CStat, Galveston, an academy or rejections. At lease by the decisions we have seen on CC the last couple of cycles.

Good Luck and do let us know what decision you get. Stats and decisions help with the next years cycle