Major/College of Choice: Physics
Did you get in: Yes
Honors Program: Maybe
Class Rank: 46/198
SAT: 1430
ACT: N/A
Instate Student

@katydeli i got that too but I didn’t know that was for being accepted

I got it in the mail last week, but I thought it was a generic mail.

@Thelma2 I don’t think I was because my ACT math score was a 25… I was almost there haha

@katydeli People with your incredible stats make me wonder just how much my essays saved me haha

Does anyone know if I were to be accepted into honors could I opt out later?

@nillupa they sent one with generic mail before but this one had a letter confirming acceptance.

@SiennaBee in my opinion, a good act score mainly just shows how good you are at taking the act and little more. Essays, however, show the real character and interests of a person. I hope you decide to join the program (I’m pretty darn sure I will!)

@TXagghopeful1 a couple people on the engineering site said on their page where it shows they were admitted to honors, you have a choice to accept or deny it.

You can opt out of honors - BUT it depends on which honors you are offered as to the impact.

University Honors includes a freahman housing requirement, the only exception is given for Corps. If you change your mind, you have to change your housing (only UH students are allowed to live in their dorms - there are two of them). After freshman year, there is NOT a housing option/requirement so you can opt out then without much issue.

If you’re in major based honors, they do NOT have a housing component. You can opt out of those without much issue. The exception being Business Honors which is both a major & an honors program - you will need to change your major if you opt out of that one.

The honors programs all ( I believe ) require a cumulative 3.5GPA to be maintained to remain in the program.

Honors programs for incoming Freshmen require certain SAT/ACT scores and sometimes a high class rank.
For example:
English Honors requires Top 25 percent plus 1250 SAT with minimum 570 Critical Reading or 28 ACT with 28 in E/R.
Biology Honors requires 1300 SAT or 28 ACT.
A student who is not in honors as a Freshman but who has maintained an overall gpa of 3.5 as well as a 3.5 in their Major as a Freshman can apply to honors programs for their Sophomore year.
Check the TAMU website for specific requirements for all majors.

Are maya honors decisions only through the mail or can u see the decision on the portal

My son was admitted into Engineering Honors two weeks ago…FYI

@brazos21 can u see that in the portal or did u get notified about that through snail mail

I sent email to Engineering Honors and asked…my son’s portal for engineering honors indicated he had been notified via a TAMU email address…which we could not open. So, they just forward the email to us.

@brazos21 Oh ok, thanks. Is there a separate portal for honors or is it the same portal as applying for the regular major?

@nillupa If you mean Mays ^… Traditionally they come snail mail, often with a follow up phone call. Normally everyone will get an answer, yes or no. It is far more competitive than any other honors program since it is also a major. They select enough to roughly have a class of 75-85. Although it states that minimums are equal to academic admit to apply, those selected are normally much, much higher ( stats are online for past classes http://mays.tamu.edu/bba-business-honors/what-we-look-for/). It is holistic review and decisions are normally trickled out vs. all at once.

There is also university honors - entirely separate - I believe that one is online. Many more people are accepted into UH & it involves housing as well. You can opt to do both or just one.

Lol, I haven’t even finished my application yet, I plan to submit by this week. I am automatic admit, but is there still any hope of me getting into a&m computer science, or is it just a waste of time for me to apply?

SAT: 1390 (670 reading 720 math)
Class rank: top 25%
Extracurriculars: great, lots of leadership roles and lots of stuff focused on my major
Essays: people have told me that my essays have been great so far, so I expect my a&m esays to be great as weel
Rec letters: probably good

Any hope of me getting into compsci if I apply by this week?

Quick question: I applied for Chemical engineering back in Oct. 1 and haven’t heard a word regarding acceptance or rejection from TAMU yet. Should I be worried or not?
Just to add my stats
I’m in top 12% of my class
SAT: 1250
ACT: 26
Tons of extracurricular
Total AP classes taken: around 15

@mooonmon no one should be worried just yet. It is still early in the game.