TAMU Class of 2022 - Admissions Decisions

My daughter was academic admit (1360 on SAT and first quarter per A&M as high school does not rank past 10%). Biomedical through the vet school.

How did you know that you got premed? Does it say in the acceptance letter? @ChayDaw26

@TXagghopeful1 no it does not but that’s the way i applied and i was accepted so i am figuring…

HI- My son just got admitted yesterday {Whoop!}, so thought I would add to the stats on here.

Applied 9-6-17
UIN 9-9-17
Review Admit-- 2nd quarter of class, GPA 3.4, ACT 30
Accepted to TAMU 2-5-2018
Major: 1st choice Construction Science

Also, The housing portal is not working for us… I called today and they said to try again this afternoon… apparently a glitch… anyone else having the same problem?

@FrozenSenchi123 @Aggiegal22 would you please mind sharing your stats?

Please everyone, come back and post your decision when it is released.

@CyMom4 do you know your student’s rank and what day applied?

@Thelma2 His rank is 43% and he applied on 9/29, Applied Mathematics

When did you apply: November 6th
When did you get your UIN: November 9th
When did you receive your admission decision: Still waiting…
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Mechanical Engineering
Did you get in: Waiting…
Honors program: Did not apply
Class Rank: 11/94
SAT: 1220
ACT: 23

When did you apply: Mid August
When did you get your UIN: A few days later
When did you receive your admission decision: November 15th
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit: Review
Major/College of Choice: Communications
Did you get in: Yes
Honors program: Did not apply
Class Rank: non ranking (top quarter in AIS)
SAT: 1290
ACT: 27

Anyone familiar with the OOS tuition waiver? The way I read it is that you qualify if you are awarded at least 4k in scholarships from any department.

@Ritzpak the tuition waiver is based on QUALIFIED scholarships, there are some(very few) that do not count ( my son had one of those as well but his total was over the required amount). Basics are they have to be competitive scholarships from Texas A&M (not the alumni or mom’s clubs or any other outside sources) you must compete against instate students. You can stack qualified scholarships to meet the $4K. The way the waiver works is you get credited back the difference between instate & OOS tuition, then you deduct the amount of scholarships earned. If you don’t meet the amount, you can keep trying each year for continuing scholarships (apply in the winter for the following fall each year). Your file is automatically circulated to all scholarships if you checked the box on your original application as an incoming freshman. Financial aid money does not count towards the total if you qualify for that.

When you get awarded scholarships, they show up on your portal (keep checking it until school starts - we got one a couple of weeks prior to school starting one year!) You click on accept or reject when it appears. Why would you reject? For some people, academic scholarships can push them over the limit for financial aid & end up with a net loss of funds.

Vast majority of scholarships roll out between now & April. Many of the scholarships are for smaller amounts sponsored by individual alumni vs. a university wide money pool (which also exists). TAMU is one of the few colleges left that offers academic scholarships which are need blind. They are highly competitive and holistically decided - there are NO ‘formula’ based scholarships (this GPA + this score = amount) so it is very hard to tell who will ‘win’ a scholarship. Criteria varies for each scholarship. Best of luck!

@AGmomx2 Thanks for all of the great info! I did check the financial aid portal and there were no offers yet. I think the holistic evaluation benefits us a lot, but I am surprised that we were told that my son’s Art Supplement video for music would not be considered.

@Thelma2 I am a review admit and my first choice major was finance;however, I logged in and it said i was admitted but I being placed into enginerring review, since Industrial engineering was my second choice major, so as of rn I am still in engineering review, I am in state

I applied mid October and I really hope I get into engineering since I was not accepted into my first choice

Do you think engineering being my second choice major will hurt my chances?

@tamujuul I don’t know the answer to that question. For the class of 2020, where my student is, both 1st and 2nd choice majors had to be Engineering to be considered for engineering.

Since engineering went holistic review for class 2021, I have seen applicants list engineering first choice and another major second.

On Apply Texas, is it not required to put Engineering for both majors any more, if you want to be considered for the major?

@tamujuul if you do not get into Eng then they will ask you to select a third choice. They will not deny you based on you picking the two most impacted majors there are at TAmu. No worries!

@tamujuul Not sure I understand that your status said that you were admitted but you are in engineering review… Admitted to what major ?

@mikeinsugarland Tamujuul’s first choice major was Mays business school. She was admitted into the university and when they went to place her into the major, it was full. So, they automatically placed her into holistic review for engineering, as engineering was her second choice major.

Now, she is waiting to hear a decision from engineering, like a great many of applicants. Hopefully soon.

My son received an email encouraging him to apply to the Brockman Scholars Program. Would that count towards an OOS tuition waiver?