TAMU Class of 2022 - Admissions Decisions

Could you check my latest post? You seem very knowledgeable lol

Hi!
I was hoping if anyone could tell me my chances for A&M, the wait has been very painful.
Applied- Oct 16
SAT-1420
GPA-3.6(43%)
Lots of extracurriculars and have had 2 jobs.

Look at the thread entitled TAMU Holistic Review as there are losts of active posts. They may be able to give you info.

@Jeff1234321 the challenge with chancing applicants is that essays make up about half of the admission decision criteria. So great stats are only half the equation. SAT score is definitely above average for admitted freshman but class rank is below average. May come down to your essays and EC’s to distinguish yourself.

Quick Update: I was accepted into the University Honors Program today! I’m very excited about it.

@trish02 I’m not sure if your son has heard back yet, but my email concerning University Honors read: “We are still in the process of reviewing freshman applications, but wanted to give you a quick update.” So if he hasn’t, I’m sure he will soon!

@seriouspeform Congratulations!! Whoop!!! Thanks for letting me know about your email. I’ll have my son check. I’m so happy for you!

@SoFloAggie were you admitted to College Station? What are your sub scores ACT/SAT? Congrats!

My son also received his acceptance to the University Honors program. His email said that they are still reviewing applicants but that he was being notified early of his acceptance.

@sandyfeet Congratulations!! That’s wonderful! My son hasn’t heard anything yet. :-SS

My daughter got the same email saying they were still reviewing but it’s looking good for her! Still waiting for the scholarship info… :slight_smile: Congrats to those accepted into the Honors program!

My son application status changed from Mechanical Engr to General Engr. The location is GALVESTON.

Does this meant that he is accepted to engineering program in Galveston ? The TAMU link to engineering in Galveston is giving an error. Can somebody elaborate on this for me ? Thanks in advance… Here is my son’s stat again with a correction on GPA.

When did you apply: December 27 (using Apply Texas)
When did you get your UIN: December 29
When did you receive admission decision: 2/14/18
Did you get in: Admitted to General Engr in Galveston (I think)
Auto/Academic/Review Admit?: Review
Major/College of Choice: Mechanical Eng, Computer Eng
Honors Program: No
Class Rank: 257/812 (31%)
GPA: 4.00 (weighted), 3.59 (unweighted)
SAT: 1390 (700 Math, 690 Reading & Writing)
ACT: 30 composite (30 Math, 27 English)

I hope this help others who are still waiting … Lastly thank you very much to all posters who help answers my questions over the last few weeks. Biggest thanks to @Thelma2 … Good luck to you all …

Hmm … under Howdy it now said the following:

Application Status: Under Review Level : Undergraduate Major: ENGE Program: BAC-ENGE-GV

Does it meant the applications is still UNDER REVIEW and not completed yet ?

@mikeinsugarland the accepted theory is that YES those changes mean acceptance to A&M Engineering Galv campus. My son has all same changes as yours.

Congratulations @mikeinsugarland Your son has been offered full admissions to A&M engineering and if he accepts the offer, will spend his freshman year at the Galveston campus. He will have the exact same curriculum as the engineering students on the College Station Campus. He will have his first opportunity to apply for his desired major in April of his Freshman year. If he satisfactorily completes the freshman curriculum, he will learn his major decision in June and then transition (not transfer) to College Station to complete his degree in the fall for his third semester (or sophomore year).

It takes a few days for everything to catch up and read the same.

Follow the next steps process for housing in Galveston as soon as possible, as the dorms fill up. Then you have until May 1 to accept the offer or decline it.

Thanks @Thelma2 … I am trying to find out more info but their website is down (forbidden error). What is the requirements for completing freshman before transition to CS ? GPA ? # of hours in engineering ?

Lastly, what is the difference (if any) between A&M engineering in Galveston vs Blinn Team Engineering (TEAB) ? Thanks again …

@kozicki00 It is really impossible to chance review applicants, especially out of first quarter. There is so much that goes into the decision, that rank and scores are just part of the equation that none of us are privy to. A&M will establish a projected GPA that you would earn at A&M based on your rank and scores, then look at your class rigor, your scholastic performance, your EC’s, your essays, etc.

While there are some review applicants who receive a decision early, the majority do come after the spring semester is back in session, after all of the Auto/academic admits are placed. The third Friday in Feb has been a trend for a bulk release the past two years. Waiting to see if that holds true for this year.

@mikeinsugarland
This link describes general engineering http://catalog.tamu.edu/undergraduate/engineering/
It has links to all of the info you want/need that are unfortunately, down at the moment.
That link has changed some, in that they now allow some students in general engineering at College Station and Galveston to apply to major during 4th semester instead of ending it at third semester. https://engineering.tamu.edu/academics/advisors-procedures/fourth-semester-general-engineering-program-student-policy.
While other links may have a few tidbits not updated, the basic premise is the same.

College Station and Galveston admissions are considered full admission to the University. Students are required to pass the engineering curriculum with a grade of C (2.0) or better. Basically, the first semester is Math 151 (engr calculus), Chemistry 107/117 (that is the class plus lab) Engineering 111 and 1 or 2 UCC (university Core Curriculum/ICD classes) You will learn all of that at NSC but here is the link-http://core.tamu.edu/

A caveat to the above is that certain majors may require additional/different course for Chemistry.

Second semester is Math 151, Physics 218, Engineering 112 plus 1 or 2 UCC/ICD electives.

In April of the second semester, you apply to Entry To A Major (ETAM). Decisions are usually out in June. Then you seamlessly transition to College Station for the fall semester to complete your major.

If say, you get a D in Math 151 or Q drop it, then you will repeat it the second semester at your original campus (GV). I believe you still apply to ETAM, even though you did not fulfill the requirements successfully, you just are not considered for a major, as you were not eligible. If you pass Math 151 at the second attempt, then in the fall, you will take the second semester math, Math 152 and apply to ETAM in November with your major decision released in Late Dec/early Jan. If everything is completed successfully, you will seamlessly transition to College Station in Spring to complete your major.

If you didn’t pass Math 152 in the fall, you will retake it in the spring, (in GV) and again, apply to major in April. After this attempt, there are conditions in the link above about 4th semester stuff, if you are not successful.

Blinn Engineering Academy is provisional in that a student takes some courses at Blinn Jr College and some at A&M. I do not know the requirements off the top of my head for TEAB as the website is not accessible for that as well. Both are very good programs

Thank you very much @Thelma2 for the very helpful information and links … We will read up on the other links when they become available …

The wait is finally over: my son’s status now is changed to “You’ve Been Admitted to Engineering at Galveston!” and there is now a button for “Next Steps” to either “Register for NSC” or “Decline Offers”.

Will take our time to evaluate both offers from UTD and TAMU and decide which one is best for our son. Relief for us and excited for him for and his future .

Good luck to all !!