TAMU Class of 2022 - Engineering Admission Decisions

@Thelma2

Date Applied: Some time in September (I forgot exactly when)
Date Admit to university: A week or so after I applied. I am academic admit.
Date Admit to Engineering (If applicable): Sometime in October (I forgot when).
Auto admit/academic admit/review admit (to university): Academic Admit
Class rank: 182/1406
SAT/ACT with sub scores: SAT: 1460 (760 Math) ACT: 33 (35 Math, 36 Science)
Math/physics classes: Chemistry, Statistics, English Literature, Computer Science A, Calculus BC, Physics C (All were AP Classes- Chemistry is prevalent since I am chemical engineering)
In state/out of state (what state): In state
noteworthy achievements/Leadership/EC’s: I work with mayor and congressman. 13 years of independent research with many awards in the field. President of Chemistry Club. I have a job as a tutor.

I was also admitted into Honors Engineering in late December or Early January.

Ugh. What happened to those predictions that all engineering would hear by 2/1. I knew it was too good to be true!

Haven’t been on in a while so just wanted to say Congrats to those who are hearing good news! Pulling for those still waiting, hope you hear something SOON!

@Thelma2 for your record keeping… I am not sure if I ever told you about sons acceptance to engineering honors in December. Sorry if it’s a repeat. Noticed last night a lot of disappointed people over on UT’s thread, a lot of rejections went out last night. Might pick up some more activity on tamu threads…

Do any of you know If I was not accepted into my first major and engineering was my second major, does that hurt my chances of getting accepted into engineering? I was accepted to the school on December 15

@tamujuul What is your first choice major?
If you are accepted into the university, you are automatically placed into that major (unless it is full). Then you will be placed into your second major automatically, unless it is Engineering, which you will undergo holistic review.

Question: When you apply to A&M and want engineering, are you not required to put engineering as your first and second choice major anymore? For TAMU Class 2020, that was required.

first chocie major: Finance
Second Choice: Industrial Engineering

What are my chances of getting into engineering my stats:
Strong Extracurriculars
SAT:1290
ACT: 25
H.S Rank: top 19%
Took all IB and AP classes

I got this from the TAMU Counselor Connection Page

FINAL DECISIONS COMING SOON!
We are pleased to announce that final freshman admission decisions will be sent the week of February 15th. These decisions will include offers of admission to our summer provisional program, the Texas A&M Blinn TEAM program, the Engineering Academy at Blinn-Bryan, new Engineering Program at Galveston as well as offers to our Program for System Admission (PSA). Students should check AIS for the most updated information regarding their decisions.

Oh my. This is one of those times when one wants to go and hide under a rock. My head hangs in shame.

I have made a mistake. I have been gone all day and just went back and re-read the Counselor Connection page to reread the information and in the header of the page when I highlighted it to share the link, it read 2016.

It is old information.

I got excited that thee was a decision date without vetting the info and dates more.

I owe everyone an apology for getting everyone’s nerves on end. I am truly and sincerely very, very, very sorry.

It’s OK Thelma - I appreciate all you do and know you will send out more info when you get it!

@Thelma2 No worries. You are a bevy of information and I really appreciate your help.

My son was offered CAP at UT. He has only until Feb 16th to accept the offer. I really hope A&M sends out decisions soon. A&M is his first choice, but if he’s denied then the UT CAP might be his only chance.

Thanks y’all. I felt so bad. I know nerves are a wreck with the long wait.

If your son wants engineering, I am not sure CAP at UT will help him. It only guarantees liberal arts major admission. When we visited the Cockrell and McCombs schools my son’s Sr year, it was mentioned it was easier to get in as a freshman admit than to transfer from another major.

If he really wants UT engineering, he might try UT Dallas and UT Arlington. I know UT Arlington has some partnership with Lockheed Martin and UT Dallas is a good school also. Then, if he has the grades to transfer to UT, he will at least have the engineering classes needed to do so, because he was actually in the major. If he decides to stay put, he will get a great educated.

All this assuming he doesn’t get a pathway from A&M, which with a 780 math score, he’s bound to get a good offer. Fingers crossed.

@GManmom123 Keep in mind that the UT CAP program is EXTREMELY competitive in regards to heavily impacted majors. (Such as engineering). Yes, assuming your grades are high enough you will get into UT automatically…but not necessarily to your major. Natural sciences and Liberal Arts are the only guaranteed majors in the CAP program. If you do need a backup to A&M however, you might consider accepting the CAP offer and simply backing out after A&M gets back with your Son.

@Thelma2

I agree, CAP might not be a good option. I was talking to a kid who got CAPed and he told me that he just decided to go to UT Dallas instead.

He told me since CAP only guarantees liberal arts majors, your chances of transferring into engineering are very slim.

@GManmom123

If your son got CAPed, he should definitely look into his local UT branch. The kid I spoke to got a full ride to UTD.

Good article on other pathways in TAMU engineering. Didn’t know ACC had a pathway like Blinn.

https://today.tamu.edu/2017/06/30/engineering-student-finds-affordability-quality-through-engineering-academies/?utm_source=today&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2017-04-05&utm_content=CAMPUS%20VOICES

Hey, I got in! My stats are not very impressive so to anyone who is worried of their chances of getting in, you should be fine
When did you apply:1/2/18
When did you get your UIN:1/11/18
When did you receive your (engineering) admission decision:1/30/18
Auto-admit? Academic Admit? Review Admit?: Auto-admit
Major/College of Choice: Gen Engineering(computer science)
Did you get in:Yes
Honors program:Didn’t Apply
Class Rank:34/444
ACT/SAT (with Math Subscore):SAT 1270(650 math)
I want to major in computer science, but I’m wondering if all freshman are in general engineering, will I not be able to take any sort of computer science course my freshman year? Will their be computer science content in the General Engineering freshman year course?

@turtleheads All freshmen are in general engineering. During your first year, you will take ENGR 111 and ENGR 112, which for the small hours of credit, will take up an exceptional amount of time. Students are exposed to every major, through (group) projects. These are not difficult classes in and of themselves but can be difficult for students who are not disciplined in time management and used to putting in this much work for good grades. The second hurdle is that many professors only group students once or twice during the whole semester. It is not uncommon for groups to lose members (variety of reasons) and this makes a lot of work for the remaining ones.

Students are exposed to all of the different disciplines and it opens a lot more choices for some and solidifies choices for others. Students will apply to their major of choice in April of their freshman year, if they have satisfied the required curriculum. If a student as a 3.5 GPA, they are guaranteed their first choice major. Once you get your major (April applicants find out in June) you will begin taking the courses for that major in the following semester (Fall).

If a student has to repeat a course in the required curriculum, for example Math 151 freshman fall semester, then they will repeat it freshman spring semester. This will push Math 152 to the sophomore fall semester and the student will apply to major in November.

Unlike the Engineering Academy at Blinn (which is an admissions decision by A&M), one can apply directly to the Engineering Academy at Blinn/Brenham. http://www.blinn.edu/teab/admission_process.html
and the Engineering Academy at Austin Community College https://engineering.tamu.edu/academies/austincommunity/securing-your-admission http://sites.austincc.edu/campaigns/texas-am-chevron-engineering-academy-at-austin-community-college/
and the Engineering Academies at El Centro and Richland College, https://engineering.tamu.edu/academies/elcentro
Houston Community College https://engineering.tamu.edu/academies/hcc and Southmost College https://engineering.tamu.edu/academies/texassouthmost

One year minimum/two years maximum before transitioning to College Station campus.

@Thelma2 Thank you got your reply! My stats are:
Applied early action in October
Applied to TAMU Aerospace Engineering
Have not been admitted yet
I am in holistic review
I go to a very competitive high school In Texas (my high school is ranked In the top 1% for public schools in Texas), I ranked in the 35 percentile
My SAT score is a 1300 (690 math and 610 English)

Thanks for your help! Hoping to hear soon from A&M, not knowing anything is driving me crazy!