TAMU Class of 2022 - Engineering Admission Decisions

My son was denied. He was offered the Blinn option. Anyone have any advise there?

@Jsmom1974 he was engineering? If so, that’s the first engineering Blinn Team I’ve heard! Congrats!

@Jsmom1974 : An offer of Blinn TEAM or Blinn Engineering IS NOT A DENIAL, it is an offer to be an AGGIE!! CONGRATULATIONS!! WHOOP!! Please check out the info on the TAMU website.

Check out my thread: TAMU Blinn-TEAM Fall 2017: parent perspective for our family’s experience!

@Jsmom1974 - your son was not denied. He was a top 10% admit to the university (and still is), but offered an alternate campus for engineering. Engineering Academy at Blinn is NOT Blinn Team.

Everyone offered EAB is a full admit to the university, they can pick another open major & attend at College Station. If they want engineering, that is the spot offered to them which after completing basic courses they will go to College Station next.

@Jsmom1974 Blinn is NOT a denial. It is a different pathway to full admit at CSTAT.

After 4 excruciating months of waiting, I finally got a notification this morning saying I could choose between a new major, Blinn, or Galveston. To everyone: check your “My Letters” section, the decision popped up there before anywhere else. I believe Galveston is 1 year with full tuition, and Blinn is 2 years with slightly lower tuition (while living on A&M campus of course). Is that correct?

Anyway, good luck to anyone still waiting. I kind of expected this decision, and I’m completely fine with it :smiley:

Also @Thelma2
Thank you so much for every post you’ve made on here, I really needed the information you have shared with this forum the past few months.

@flyer36 Let me repeat what I think you are saying and you tell me if that is correct.

You are an engineering applicant.
You have been offered full admission to College Station campus if you chose an open major.
You have been offered the Engineering Academy at Blinn.
You have been offered Engineering at Galveston.

All of these are great offers. Congratulations. Here is something to think about. Be honest with yourself and what you want to achieve long term where you finish, not where you start.

Engineering at Galveston is a great option. You would have the exact same curriculum there that the CStat students have. After completing the first year and successfully completing the apply to major requirement, you would seamlessly transition to CStat your sophomore year.

Blinn Engineering Academy is minimum one year and maximum 2. You will have to complete the required curriculum and still apply to major for transition to CStat.

Seriously consider your strength in math. The engineering calculus weeds out A LOT of students. The curriculum is very time consuming for ENGR 111 and 112. You have to be self disciplined in study time. Even really high stat kids have a difficult time with the work load because frankly, AP/IB classes don’t prepare you for 3 hours per credit hour of study per week. They just don’t. It is a rude awakening when students are used to making good grades fairly easily without their nose to the grindstone every day. You will learn to balance but there are a lot that can’t handle the difficulty going in, discover college engineering is not the same as their stem program in high school, get behind due to maturity/study habits/time management.

Think about what student you are right now, not what student you want to be or think you will be come August, so that you can make an educated decision. You want to start out being successful. Think of where that will be and make the best choice for you.

At all three places, you are 100% an Aggie and can participate in all things Aggie. Granted, GV is farther from CStat than Bryan but there will be 1200 kids just like you there.

Good luck in your decision and again, congrats. Let me know what you decide!!

@jsmom I know you/your son are likely disappointed. I know that feeling, when out of my 3, the first choice didn’t materialize. But know that it is ok to grieve the loss of what you hoped for, then pick yourself up, lift the chin, and carry on.

Was your son offered Blinn Team or Blinn Engineering Academy? These are two very different admission decisions and engineering applicants are usually offered the Academy route. The Blinn Engineering Academy is not a denial of admissions, other than it is not full admit to CStat. There are applicants that will be offered PSA and applicants that will be denied outright. A small number will be offered Blinn Engineering Academy.

The engineering department considers their math readiness for the rigors and difficulty of Engineering Calculus and Physics, and therefore, is likely the reason. 670 math is a very good score but it is not a very strong one for Engineering Calculus. Don’t let anyone tell you that their other major student’s calculus wasn’t that bad. No offense to other majors, but it isn’t engineering calculus. Math 151 and 152 has a high drop rate. The parent Aggie FB page is full of anxiety from parents after the first semester exam. A TEAB admissions will likely have him be more successful in the long run if his desire is full CStat in engineering. Minimum is 1 year. Max 2 years. He is still an AGGIE with Aggie privileges. Bryan is pretty much a part of College Station, so the atmosphere is within reach.

As I said in the post above, give it the consideration it deserves. It is a big decision. Good luck.

@Thelma2 All of this is correct, plus I have been offered McAllen (but I’m not really considering it because I don’t have any plans for living accomodations). I’m pretty good with calculus, I’m currently in Calculus BC and Physics C. But one thing is that I’m essentially not planning to be an engineer. I’ve always wanted to do computer science but I find it unusual that A&M considers that to be engineering. As far as I know computer science doesn’t involve that much calculus and I just need to get past General Engineering to get where I need to go.

I will probably go to Blinn but I haven’t decided quite yet.

@trinley As of last night through midnight, there were no engineering decisions posted from applicants. I mentioned that none had gone out, simply because if they had, out of the 50+ applicants on the forum still waiting on a decision, someone would have posted. It was just my assumption. I clarify this because I don’t want anyone to think I have any insider info or know when things will/won’t be released.

That said, looks like some decisions came through by this morning! Congrats to all the new AGGIES! Whoop! and Howdy!

Here is information on the Blinn Engineering Academy. Just like with Blinn Team (for other majors), students are co-enrolled at both campuses and have full privileges at A&M, except playing an NCAA sport.

http://engineering.tamu.edu/academies/blinn-bryan

@flyer36 Check out the CS links for TAMU if you haven’t yet
http://engineering.tamu.edu/cse/academics/degrees/cs

BS in CS
http://engineering.tamu.edu/cse/academics/degrees/cs/bs

Here is the degree program. http://engineering.tamu.edu/media/5298267/cpsc2017-20170923.pdf

@Thelma2 Thanks for the clarification. I have been in contact with engineering academies in both Brenham and ACC and we are ready to go that route as a backup plan. BTW, do you know if there is any significance to the drop down menu only listing one major? I recall it used to have both listed in AIS but could be mistaken. thanks!

What is the difference between Blinn TEAM and engineering academy at Blinn

@tamujuul Blinn Team is for non-engineering students. Engineering Academy at Blinn Bryan is essentially Blinn Team. The Chevron Engineering Academies are partners with several local community colleges including Blinn main campus in Brenham where an A&M faculty member teaches the engineering class and you take the rest of your classes from junior college faculty. After 1 year you can apply to the main campus. It is a great way to get in and cost thousands less.

more information here: https://engineering.tamu.edu/academies

I want to sincerely thank all of you for your encouraging words. Not really understanding this whole process caused me to be down for no reason! My son was given the Blinn Engineering option, Galveston and McAllen. We will do the Blinn since he already has his living arrangements at TAMU nailed down. You guys have made my day!!!

That’s awesome @jsmom1974 I have a friend’s son who is going that route currently and LOVES it. Said it was the best route for him and he graduated from HS in the top 2%. Engineering is so tough, so going through the academy helps them succeed early on and be ready for selecting their specific eng. major sophomore year!

@AggieMomhelp thanks for the info. He did go to a very small school and was probably not afforded as good an education as some of the larger schools so Blinn sounds like a blessing in his case.

Just a heads up to everyone wanting to choose the Blinn Engineering route, they are having software issues per Admissions. If you go to choose your option and only 2 of the 3 are present, try logging on again tomorrow. I didn’t want anyone to have a heart attack like I did!

@trinley thank you so much, another question, how hard is it to transfer to the main campus from the academy?

@tamujuul the Academy web link should have all the transfer information. But a 3.5 after the first year guarantees you you first choice major. You must have a 3.5 from the junior college and from the A&M engineering class. You do not average from both institutions. I suggest calling one of the junior colleges that participate to get more information.